1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Mercury Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well every time I read a post on this forum I learn something new. I did not realize how rare 51-52 rear bumpers are. I have one on my 51 sitting beside the shop and something else I noticed is I have an outside door lock on both the drivers and passenger doors. I was told by the PO that this truck is all original as it came from the factory. (we know how that is! )I know its not as irreplaceable as a merc bumper but sounds like I might need to keep my eye on it too!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The Mercury trucks used the same rear bumper as the Fords and that is direct from my Mercury parts catalogue. The other thing is rear bumpers ONLY came on Panel Deliverys from the factory, pickups did not get a rear bumper.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM
brad1979
Senior User
Thanks Dueller, that clears up whether a Merc. rear bumper would be different, I didn't think it would be. Wasn't the rear bumper optional on the pickups? Either way I don't seem to be much closer to what this bumper would originally be from. I have been looking at all kinds of truck rear bumpers from that era, maybe I should start looking at cars...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
It doesn't list the bumper as optional equipment but that doesn't mean it was never equipped by dealers. I know on my one ton that the rear valiance would have to be notched to even allow the brackets to fit.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
brad1979
Senior User
Other then the brackets not quite fitting the bumper, the brackets fit the frame of the truck no problem. Most of the express bed trucks I've seen, seem to have had rather stout bumpers built for the back, kinda farmer lookin'.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 51dueller
The Mercury trucks used the same rear bumper as the Fords and that is direct from my Mercury parts catalogue. The other thing is rear bumpers ONLY came on Panel Deliverys from the factory, pickups did not get a rear bumper.
It doesn't list the bumper as optional equipment but that doesn't mean it was never equipped by dealers. I know on my one ton that the rear valiance would have to be notched to even allow the brackets to fit.
I Beg to differ - semantics perhaps.

The Back bumper listed in the Catalogue has the same the same main part number. But it shows a different prefix meaning it was infact different.

Ford part numbers did that. All back bumpers may have been "12345" but a "XX-12345" was a completely different part than "YY-12345." And exploded drawings do not show the prefixes only the parts tables do.

Also, back bumpers were not "standard" equipment on the Pick-up trucks but were on the Panels.

The back bumper WAS a "factory option" on the Pick-ups and WAS listed as such in both the 51 and 52 Sales Brochures and Salesmans Handbooks. See below:

Name:  51 F-Series Sales Brochure - Extra Options 2.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  51 F-Series Sales Brochure Page 8.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  387.0 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
I guess that is another difference between the Canadian and American trucks. Not saying my parts book is infallible but it does list all the optional equipment available for the Canadian 48-52 trucks.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Hmmm....looks nice, but wrong, to me. I would think that the Mercury would be the same length as the Ford bumper, just because companies seem to stick with what they think is correct. The one on the Merc is wider than the Ford on Julie's, in that the Ford seems to stop 1/2 way of the width of the fender, and the Merc almost out to the outside of the fender. I've looked at it several times, and just looks "wrong". Plus, I do NOT see them using ribbed on the front and smooth on the back - they just didn't do stuff like that.

I've got my rear - not very straight, but IS for the rear. I also saw a place down south, that for a couple-three hundred, will make it straight enough for chrome, from virtually any condition. I also found a local shop that has some mega-ton presses, that I'll probably have attempt it first.

Getting anxious to get back to work on the truck, for those wondering....

And here's a "howdy" out to you all...

Roger, not dead and buried, after all!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I guess that is another difference between the Canadian and American trucks. Not saying my parts book is infallible but it does list all the optional equipment available for the Canadian 48-52 trucks.
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Hmmm....looks nice, but wrong, to me. I would think that the Mercury would be the same length as the Ford bumper, just because companies seem to stick with what they think is correct. The one on the Merc is wider than the Ford on Julie's, in that the Ford seems to stop 1/2 way of the width of the fender, and the Merc almost out to the outside of the fender. I've looked at it several times, and just looks "wrong". Plus, I do NOT see them using ribbed on the front and smooth on the back - they just didn't do stuff like that.

I've got my rear - not very straight, but IS for the rear. I also saw a place down south, that for a couple-three hundred, will make it straight enough for chrome, from virtually any condition. I also found a local shop that has some mega-ton presses, that I'll probably have attempt it first.

Getting anxious to get back to work on the truck, for those wondering....

And here's a "howdy" out to you all...

Roger, not dead and buried, after all!
It all could very well be! Ford seemed to have as many exceptions as rules. Mercs may be the same way.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
brad1979
Senior User
Well my rear bumper isn't smooth, it actually bumps out. I talked to a guy who works at a wrecker and knows old iron. He said he's seen that bumper before but he can't remember what on. He didn't think it was a '51/'52 style truck. He was thinking it was a ford truck but maybe an older one, pre '48 maybe? Or maybe something larger than a half ton? Someone must know...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by brad1979
Well my rear bumper isn't smooth, it actually bumps out. I talked to a guy who works at a wrecker and knows old iron. He said he's seen that bumper before but he can't remember what on. He didn't think it was a '51/'52 style truck. He was thinking it was a ford truck but maybe an older one, pre '48 maybe? Or maybe something larger than a half ton? Someone must know...
I agree. It looks familiar, but I don't recall right off where I know it from. I don't think it's older Ford since those are a lot thinner and more rounded/smooth.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Ya just don't see many back bumpers on the trucks pre 48. And the license plate indent suggests later not earlier.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Ya just don't see many back bumpers on the trucks pre 48.
Very true. But I do know the early truck's rear bumpers closely resembled the fronts.

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
And the license plate indent suggests later not earlier.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
brad1979
Senior User
So I talked to my local Merc. guru today. He said the Merc. rear bumper and the Ford rear bumper should be the same, and it matches the front bumper. I described the one I have and he needs to see a pic. to know if he recognizes it. No real surprise there, but at least I know it isn't the correct one. Someone must be able to identify it...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd guess that is a Car bumper, because only a car would have a license plate light in the middle of the car. All the trucks well into the '50's used side-mounted plates. (Although it could be a Front bumper, too)

Quick Reply: 1951 Mercury Rear Bumper