Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 PM
thordehr thordehr is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 328
thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Soon to recharge an AC system that has been open

I have heard that the lines and cores should be flushed with alcohol?

I am ordering new O-ring seals, schrader valve, and heavy duty orifice.

Is it ok to reuse the receiver / dryer? From what little I know about AC there is a dessicant sac in there that can get saturated with moisture. Will this moisture be cleared by the alcohol flush and the application of vacuum (I've heard you should let the vac pump run for an hour to get rid of the moisture.)

On top of this, as per my previous AC post, does anyone know a good AC guy in Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
tempforce's Avatar
tempforce tempforce is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: central texas
Posts: 274
tempforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
no.... you have to flush the system with either an A/C flushing agent or products such as Mineral Sprits, Hecat Safe Flush and Paint Thinner. Careful with Paint Thinner for obvious reasons. Helping to get the flushing agents through the system components are the Mastercool Flush Gun Kit. and yes you have to replace both receiver and dryer, just before putting the system into a vacuum. take it down to 15", then turn off the pump. and the guage valves. come back in about 15 min. to see if you lost any vacuum. if so you need to find the leak(s). then when you have found and fixed all system leaks. take the system down to 15" vacuum. for at least 15 min. with a system that has been open i would do it for at least an hour. then charge the system with the recommended coolant. ie r-12 or r-134a. but if you want the system to really cool, use the following.
DuracoolŽ.com 2004 - DuracoolŽ is The Recognized Leader In Hydrocarbon Refrigerant Technology
or
Environmentally Friendly Hydrocarbon Refrigerants HC-12a, HC-22a and HC-502a from Bennett Cycle & Supply

HC-12aŽ is designed as a drop-in replacement for ozone-depleting CFC R12 and global-warming HFC R134a refrigerant's compatible with both types of lubricants.

they provide better cooling and you use less coolant to charge the system, your system runs at lower pressures, thus the new compressor will last longer.

did i mention, that if your system is already discharged, you don't need a license to use these coolants, as they are not cfc/hfc based coolants.
__________________
'13' fusion
'83' 2.2 diesel Ranger
'56' F100 project
(crown vic front suspension, mark 8 - 4.6, 32 vlv - v8.
rear end 'to be determined' .. mark 8 or cobra..)...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
thordehr thordehr is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 328
thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You seem to know a lot about it, WIsh you were closer, I'd give you the business. Gives me some questions to ask when I visit a shop though.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
thordehr thordehr is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 328
thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
AC is working!

My truck was a heat only truck when I bought it earlier this summer. I picked up the following pieces...

Engine side heater/ac box (with attached receiver/dryer and integral Evaporator)
AC lines.
Condensor and brackets.
Compressor.
Dash controls that have the AC positions.
The one piece of electrical harness that goes from the right fender harness plug to the high low switches and compressor clutch.

Took it into a shop today and had at it with them:

We flushed the system,
Replaced all the o-rings,
Replaced the orifice tube,
Replaced both schrader valves,
Hooked it up and ran it through a recovery cycle (nothing recovered as expected),
Pulled a vacuum and held it for a half hour,
Added 2lbs8oz of Freon(surprisingly there was an AC spec sticker on the radiator support even though it didn't come with AC from the factory)
Ran it for a while and it runs nice and cool.

Click the image to open in full size.

On the way home I just had to stop here for a burrito. Seems the locals like the place......

Click the image to open in full size.

Speaking of which, you wouldn't believe the kind of attention I pull down when driving by a home depot.... I don't dare slow down! (SoCal by the way)

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
THOR

1999 F-350 7.3 Diesel FlatBed California non-catalyst
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Izzy351's Avatar
Izzy351 Izzy351 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas-Ft. Worth
Posts: 14,211
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
I'm curious about the 15" of vacuum thing.... I thought it was pulled down to 29"? Not so? I'm sort of an amateur AC guy -- what I've learned has been from asking sometimes dumb questions and watching others...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
thordehr thordehr is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 328
thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thordehr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont know about the vac. It was hooked up to an all in one machine. It recovered what it could. Pulled vac, then injected oil, added freon, all without removing any connections until it was all done.
Think I saw 18" of vac when it was doing it's thing? Not entirely sure though. It was all automated and had little intervention from us. It just beeped at the end of every step so we could push the continue button.
I didn't learn a lot, but I did learn that if I was going to do a lot of AC work, I'd want one of these machines.
__________________
THOR

1999 F-350 7.3 Diesel FlatBed California non-catalyst
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Kwikkordead's Avatar
Kwikkordead Kwikkordead is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Seattle, WA.
Posts: 22,220
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempforce View Post
no.... you have to flush the system with either an A/C flushing agent or products such as Mineral Sprits, Hecat Safe Flush and Paint Thinner. Careful with Paint Thinner for obvious reasons. Helping to get the flushing agents through the system components are the Mastercool Flush Gun Kit. and yes you have to replace both receiver and dryer, just before putting the system into a vacuum. take it down to 15", then turn off the pump. and the guage valves. come back in about 15 min. to see if you lost any vacuum. if so you need to find the leak(s). then when you have found and fixed all system leaks. take the system down to 15" vacuum. for at least 15 min. with a system that has been open i would do it for at least an hour. then charge the system with the recommended coolant. ie r-12 or r-134a. but if you want the system to really cool, use the following.
DuracoolŽ.com 2004 - DuracoolŽ is The Recognized Leader In Hydrocarbon Refrigerant Technology
or
Environmentally Friendly Hydrocarbon Refrigerants HC-12a, HC-22a and HC-502a from Bennett Cycle & Supply

HC-12aŽ is designed as a drop-in replacement for ozone-depleting CFC R12 and global-warming HFC R134a refrigerant's compatible with both types of lubricants.

they provide better cooling and you use less coolant to charge the system, your system runs at lower pressures, thus the new compressor will last longer.

did i mention, that if your system is already discharged, you don't need a license to use these coolants, as they are not cfc/hfc based coolants.
These truck were designed to run with R134 ONLY.
Putting that substitute crap in there will only screw everything up.
That stuff was designed as a replacement for R-12 which is alleged to deplete the ozone layer.
All vehicles manufactured in 1993 and later are required to operate with R134 only.
And R134 is cheap enough to not bother with any other substitutes.
__________________
Dan
1999 F550 4x4 ZF6 pulling a Cedar Creek 36RLTS. Lotta mods.
1999 VW Jetta TDI 5speed stick, Titan 520's, CCV, EGR, CAT.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
rbaker6336's Avatar
rbaker6336 rbaker6336 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blairsville,Ga
Posts: 7,191
rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy351 View Post
I'm curious about the 15" of vacuum thing.... I thought it was pulled down to 29"? Not so? I'm sort of an amateur AC guy -- what I've learned has been from asking sometimes dumb questions and watching others...
Go here,it should have all the info you need to be a certified mobile HVAC guy.Or be like myself and be a card carrying amateur
Mainstream Engineering Section 609 Manual

Mainstream Engineering Section 609 Manual

To answer your question

from the manual


For example, if liquid water in the system is initially at 80°F, then the saturation pressure of the water is 28.87 inches of mercury. Therefore, the vacuum pump must achieve a pressure below 28.87 inches of mercury (at the site of the water) for this liquid water to boil off (This is not the vacuum level required at the vacuum pump, it is the vacuum required at the water's location, the vacuum level at the vacuum pump must be even lower!), and at this temperature one pound of water vapor will occupy 1022 cubic feet of space.
__________________
Ray
2000 F-350 2WD,DRW Auto, PSD,
DP Tuner,40 Tow 80E,Wicked Wheel 4" Exhaust ,AIS intake, Guages,6.0 Trans cooler to install, DooDad???=(dfuser ram air)
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
nhill2090 nhill2090 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,905
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaker6336 View Post
Go here,it should have all the info you need to be a certified mobile HVAC guy.Or be like myself and be a card carrying amateur
Mainstream Engineering Section 609 Manual

Mainstream Engineering Section 609 Manual

To answer your question

from the manual


For example, if liquid water in the system is initially at 80°F, then the saturation pressure of the water is 28.87 inches of mercury. Therefore, the vacuum pump must achieve a pressure below 28.87 inches of mercury (at the site of the water) for this liquid water to boil off (This is not the vacuum level required at the vacuum pump, it is the vacuum required at the water's location, the vacuum level at the vacuum pump must be even lower!), and at this temperature one pound of water vapor will occupy 1022 cubic feet of space.

10-4

I got a A/C certification card as well.
__________________
Nic
1999 (early) F250 XLT SC LB 4x4
6" lift, 5" exhaust and a BTS trans and tunes.
PAA Member #1
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
150, 1999, 2003, 60, 73l, ac, alcohol, charge, compatible, explorer, f150, f250, flush, ford, powerstroke, recharge, system

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC Shop for a 1985 f250 6.9 - Los Angeles eightball8 California, Southern Chapter 4 05-15-2013 06:33 PM
F550 Question peterspca90732 Super Duty & Heavy Duty 2 01-21-2012 01:47 AM
Meets In Los Angeles Or Riverside MONTANAANDRES Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline 1 01-11-2008 04:02 PM
Bronco Parts Los Angeles? Fordtrk26 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 0 06-27-2005 03:54 PM
Theft Risk and other grath_15 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 22 01-02-2004 08:01 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup