Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think the security system shut down the truck?
Why is key stuck in ignition? 2 66.67%
How can I fix this problem? 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM
New User

Trail horse trucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck won't start, key stuck in ignition, unable to open hood

I have a 2003 F 250 Supercab 4X4 gas V-8 which was running fine. Moved truck. Turned off. Left keys in ignition. Few minutes later, got back in truck to move it again and engine wouldn't start (dashboard lit up) and now I can't even pull key out of ignition! The hood won't open up. What would cause this to happen?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
hahaha...you'd be screwed if I believed you.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:44 PM
New User

This happened yesterday. I've never had problems with this truck. It is towing a horse trailer. I was making some tight turns in tall grass. I thought because I had left the keys in the ignition that perhaps it affected the security system somehow and shut down the truck or that the steering column had locked up. (Steering wheel is not locked up-it turns fine. I checked the connections to the horse trailer, thinking maybe something had come loose and caused a problem. Everything looks fine. The power windows & radio work. When I turn on the key, the dash says check gages, they all look fine. Engine won't start, and I can't get the key out of the ignition. The truck was running fine before, battery is fine, it has 1/3 tank of gas. There is probably some simple solution, but I don't know what it is.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
Why is there a poll on your first post, which makes no sense anyway

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
put it in park...
Old 05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
New User

This was my first post and I didn't know what the poll was for. My ignorance is certainly showing!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
put it in park...

Automatic trans I'm assumig.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM
New User

Yes, it is an automatic transmission.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Since these trucks don't have any "security system", maybe you can clue us in as to what aftermarket system is on it.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
New User

I don't think it has an aftermarket system on it, I just assumed it had an anti-theft system. My Jeep Grand Cherokee does and it will shut down.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
The hood release has to be a coincidence. It is nothing but a mechanical cable. Get under the dash and figure out how to adjust that cable, or pull it further somehow.

The key thing sounds like something in the column. The truck is in Park you said, but the column still is latched. So the key won't come out, and you can turn the wheel. If the column was in park you would not be able to turn the steering wheel. That's what is keeping it from starting as well.

You might try to find the neutral position. The truck should start in neutral OR park.

Did you launch this thing off a cliff?

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-15-2010, 05:02 PM
New User

The truck is 15 miles from here and as soon as the Preakness is over this afternoon, I'm taking someone who is much more mechanically minded than me to look at it and see if he can solve the problem. Hopefully it is something simple. Will let you know when we get back!
Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
If the column was in park you would not be able to turn the steering wheel.
why not?

The wheel should be unlocked whenever the key is on... but maybe that is the GM in me showing through.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
why not?

The wheel should be unlocked whenever the key is on... but maybe that is the GM in me showing through.
True. Got me on that part. But I still think the problem is in the column. The reason he cannot pull the key is because it will not turn to lock, and the reason it won't start is because it is in a gear select position. But I think it might start if he can wiggle the selector around and find neutral.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
New User

Boy, am I feeling stupid! The reason the key wouldn't come out was because I hadn't turned it back far enough. After reinserting it, the truck started right up. The reason the hood didn't open was because I pulled the wrong lever in the center rather than far off to the left. (It's hard to see in the dark and I'm used to my Jeep) My husband said that was the easiest problem he ever fixed! Well, I learned some new things today about my truck that I won't forget! It seems so obvious now. Anyway, I am sure thankful it wasn't some expensive major mechanical problem. I know alot more about horses than trucks! At least the problem is solved. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2008, expidition, f150, f250, ford, hood, ignition, key, locked, open, removal, start, stuck, truck, turned, wont