6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 made in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Bryan966
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 made in Mexico?

Is it true the 6.7 is made in Chihuahua, Mexico?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
yep and only in mexico

Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Well it's either make it in Mexico by Mexicans or make it in America by Mexicans.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM
kluger
Senior User
Assembled in Mexico

The CGI block is made in Brazil with Swedish technology if that helps anything.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:02 PM
bookem15
Senior User
Is ther any vehicle that is completely made in USA anymore I mean the whole vehicle. I am not even sure if there was ever such a thing. Nice job pointing out "made in USA by mexicans" that is priceless.....

Old 05-15-2010, 05:15 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bookem15
Is ther any vehicle that is completely made in USA anymore I mean the whole vehicle. I am not even sure if there was ever such a thing.
If you mean every nut and bolt, then your answer is probably no. Even the ford cars of the 60s had Canadian parts. I think as far back as the 30s too.

Maybe early Model Ts were all US.

No, not even then. Henry had rubber plantations in Brazil. The tires might have been made in the US, but the latex came from Brazill.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kluger
The CGI block is made in Brazil with Swedish technology if that helps anything.

Them Swedes are deadly with golf clubs.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Hobo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
Well it's either make it in Mexico by Mexicans or make it in America by Mexicans.
No no no.

It's either made in Mexico by robots, or made in America by robots.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 AM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
It's made in Mexico and thus I refuse to buy one. The transfer case is made in Saltillo. Why you people continue to justify it boosting Fords profit at the expense of the domestic economy is beyond me. The 6.7 costs the consumer more and must cost Ford less, otherwise they wouldn't bother. There are 700 or so jobless people that used to work in the Indianapolis Engine Plant and foundry. They weren't robots. OK fine Ford and Navistar don't play nice anymore. But there are plenty of places Ford could have built it in the US. And they could have demanded Magna not move the transfer case production to Saltillo.

It's not just this engine or this truck, it's the whole industry. Those who say nothing is made in america anymore are right. You can't swing a cat around a modern car without hitting a chinese part or two. The only solution is to stop buying what they are selling us.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT
It's not just this engine or this truck, it's the whole industry. Those who say nothing is made in america anymore are right.
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry

Both have the highest domestic (U.S. & Canada) content of any vehicle. Something like 70%-80%. More than anything from the "Big 3".

But most people do not want to hear that.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT
You can't swing a cat around a modern car without hitting a chinese part or two.

There are very few Chinese parts (not counting electronic components) in a modern car.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
kluger
Senior User
Domestic content is only part of the story.

True some import brands (whatever that means anymore) may have more domestic content than some domestic marques, but at the end of the story, the PROFITS on those vehicles go back to their home country - siphoning wealth out of our economy. I believe that we do the best for ourselves (and the country we'll leave our kids) when we buy something from a US owned company - assuming they're making something that meets our needs. Whether you look at JD Powers, Consumer Reports, on the lot or another source, I think you'll find that Ford is building world-class vehicles with a substantial amount of North American content which I think is the best we can hope for.

And while it's dissapointing abount the International Indianapolis plant, I'm not sure how much it had to do with the loss of the Ford business - which they deserved to lose - and how much it had to do with the huge amount of manufacturing in general that International has moved to Escobedo, Mexico as well as a number of US suppliers getting their business yanked by them and sent to Taiwan, India, wherever.

The good news is that there seems to be some shifting in the equation between rising foreign labor rates, cost of transportation (oil), etc. that are causing a few companies that went off-shore to return home. I hope it turns into a major trend.

Sorry for the econ rant but as one of those suppliers that got burned its a hot topic for me. (If you can't tell.) Soapbox mode off, I'll shut up now.

2011 F250SD 6.7 CC/LB Lariate Ultimate FX4 on order

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
True some import brands (whatever that means anymore) may have more domestic content than some domestic marques, but at the end of the story, the PROFITS on those vehicles go back to their home country - siphoning wealth out of our economy. I believe that we do the best for ourselves (and the country we'll leave our kids) when we buy something from a US owned company - assuming they're making something that meets our needs.
I hear this alot, and you have a point, up to a point.

First, if you want to own Toyota, try E*Trade (sym: TM). Not all of it is foreign-owned. Fidelity owns about 8.1 million shares, worth about $621 mil. Chances are, you are an owner already.

Second, you focus on profits (macro-economics), what about paychecks (micro-economic)? All those "foreign-owned" profits supposedly go overseas (see above) but the rank and file worker paychecks get spent in the local economy.

I am sure that the workers in San Antonio, Georgetown, Marysville, Westpoint, Spartanburg, Evansville, Vance, Anna, etc. get paid in US dollars, not yen or yuan or deutchmarks and probably do not go overseas to spend it.

Ditto the workers at the Dodge HD plant in Saltillo, who likely buy their tamales locally even though the "profits" come to the US. And I am sure that the Ford workers building the Transit Connect in Turkey buy their baklava and olives locally too.

Is it nice that the profits from these vehicles presumably come back to the US? Sure. But I am equally sure that the locals would rather have the plant than the profits.

So worrying about where the profits go totally ignores the impact of an auto plant, even a "foreign-owned" auto plant, to the local economies.

I doubt the people in Westpoint, Georgia, who now have jobs after decades of living in the economic doldrums, give a crap about what name tag they are putting on those Hyundais.

I was around for the building of the Honda plant in Marysville. Saw that part of Central Ohio explode with economic activity. When I moved to GA, I almost sold my house to a Honda executive (another couple proposed a cleaner deal). My old (Catholic) church and grade school now have Honda ex-pats from Japan, paying tuition to the school and tithing to the church. Never once have I heard any locals complain that profits from the plant were going overseas.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM
kluger
Senior User
Too true, there are many sides to the story. I tend to look more at the macro as it often drives the longest term effects and we in the US tend to be notoriously focused on the short term. We think in weeks or months - or the next quarterly report - while in the east they think in centuries. However - when the mortgate is due and you need to put food on the table, you need to think about the here & now. As much as I believe in the free market, it's never really been free. If we would use tarriffs & currency valuation to level the playing field against those who use them as weapons instead of believing that the world is "fair" the American worker would be in better shape.

2011 F250SD 6.7 CC/LB Lariate Ultimate FX4 on order

Old 05-16-2010, 10:34 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Too true, there are many sides to the story. I tend to look more at the macro as it often drives the longest term effects and we in the US tend to be notoriously focused on the short term. We think in weeks or months - or the next quarterly report - while in the east they think in centuries. However - when the mortgate is due and you need to put food on the table, you need to think about the here & now. As much as I believe in the free market, it's never really been free. If we would use tarriffs & currency valuation to level the playing field against those who use them as weapons instead of believing that the world is "fair" the American worker would be in better shape.
When you need $15/hr (or more) to live and someone overseas is willing to work for $15/week, that is called harsh economic reality.

And actually, the US does use tariffs, but they can be only marginally effective.

Take the Transit Connect, there is a 25% tariff on passenger vans dating back to the 1960s (originally, the VW bus was targeted in retalliation for some European tariff).

So all Transit Connects are made as panel vans at the Ford plant in Turkey. Ford imports "panel vans" into the US to avoid the tariff. Ford has a contractor in (I think) VA that installs carpet and seats and removes the panels and replaces them with glass. Voila! A foreign-produced passenger van in the US that did not have to pay the 25% tariff.

And, BTW, the US and other central banks have very limited ability to affect the currency exchange rates.

Quick Reply: 6.7 made in Mexico?