1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Name Some Good Things About Your Truck!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name Some Good Things About Your Truck!

Well, I haven't had much time to be on here. Bad thing in one way, because I love reading about anything Ford. Good thing is, I've not had to come here for any truck problems.

Anyways, was reading around today, and noticed there's a lot of problem posts (duh, that's what vehicle related forums are for.) I figured I'd share something good.

I've had my truck nearly three years. Been running synthetic for a couple of years. I used to use a little oil. Hell, I had a 94 Thunderbird with the 4.6 HO, and even in the manual it hinted to check the oil every 1,000 miles. I was used to a little consumption, and it didn't bother me as my truck doesn't smoke at all and it wasn't extreme.

Ok, getting to the point. I used to run Castrol GTX 10W-30. No brand wars please, all SM oil is good oil. Also, I always run a Motorcraft FL1A. Ok, my oil used to get black in 400-500 miles. Good to me. I figured it's just cleaning some gunk out. I got the truck with 109k on it, all original. After a few 1k mile oil changes (yes, I enjoy changing oil, but I kinda run it/work it hard and go off roading now and then), it was slowing down about how quick it got black. By 115k-117k miles, I swapped to Rotella-T Synthetic 5W-40.

I know the oil pressure gauges are slow and dummy gauges, BUT mine does move, and when it's all the way warm, if I come to an idle (650-700RPM) for 20 seconds, it will stop moving down and stop around the R and M, closer to the M in NORMAL. With GTX 10W-30, it'd be on the R.

I know pressure isn't everything, and more importantly... the gauge means nothing without numbers. Sorry for ranting. Ok...

ON TO THE GOOD NEWS. This oil started getting black just as fast as the Castrol GTX 10W-30 did when I first started using it. 500 miles or so. Wow, gotta love HDEO cleaning power. I had still been consuming some oil, probably a quart in 1k miles. To make this boringly long story short... I now have 129k miles on my truck, and my oil consumption is now less than 3/4 a quart in 1500 miles. The oil is still getting black fast, but more around 1200 miles. It used to use a lot more oil when I would have to drive long periods @ 60-70mph (2500-?RPM). I just drove 4 hours today, a lot of highway driving at 55-60mph. 55mph I know is 2250-2300RPM on my tach. NP435 with 3.50:1 9". I didn't use a drop of oil. Nothing to my visible eye, at least.

Of course I'm not advertising Rotella-T (or T6 is their latest) 5W-40... just saying, it's really done something for my truck. It's got lots of zinc/phos, it can last a long time (even though I change too often, think I'll go 2000 miles, this time :-P ) This isn't just Rotella, all HDEO's are great.

Another good thing about my truck... over the last nearly 3 years, it's ran better, and better, and better... knock on wood.

Let's hear some of your stories about how good your truck has been to you. Even though we leave em parked outside all night and sleep with another woman, they still do all our work for us.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has a good story and a lot of personal history behind it...I can even remember sitting on the tailgate and feeding the cows in the mornings when I was little (pre-school age). It has a ton of sentimental value to me.
It doesn't even have 80,000 miles on it yet, purrs like a kitten when warmed up and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I use it as my daily driver, and it has only let me down twice, because it was so cold it just didn't want to start.
I have to say my favorite part about the truck is it's age. No computers, no unnecessary electronics, manual everything. Plus, I know all its little quirks, things that don't work quite right, or stuff I have to do when driving it that others wouldn't know about. It's just fun to drive, and I know it will last.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2wd stepside 86 with the EFI 302 and AOD auto. So this is supposed to be positive. The things I like about my truck: gas mileage, my best to date was just shy of 24mpg and consistently get around 21mpg. Turning radius, I can turn this thing around in the road without using much of the gravel on either side. The rubber flooring, I live in the country and finding floor carpeting useless. It's just plain fun to drive, it corners great, takes off great and stops great. The square fendered stepside just looks sweet and in black the truck just looks like trouble. But its pros do not outweigh its cons, thus me selling it.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
sorry to hear that, fe! my truck gets great gas mileage (it doesent run, lol). I wouldn't sell it for anything! sometimes, I feel like calling someone to tow it away for scrap. But, I calm down, and come to myself, and know it is one of the pleasures of my life. I love working on it

Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
I've owned many vehicles and sometimes I realize too late that the thing I'm wasting my money on is a lemon. This is the third EFI Ford I've owned and they all have been lemons, (and this truck is the highest mileage one at 110,00 miles) so I'm done with them. After I sell this one I will most likely be on the hunt for a 4x4 stepside 80-86 that is carbed that I can throw a FE or 385 series into. This truck has been fun when it worked but that was not very often. Or maybe I should go find a Mercury truck, I've had great luck with Mercury's, but their Ford counterparts not so much.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
it would be cool to have MERCURY across the tailgate.....do you remember FARGO (Dodge)

Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Yup yup, I know some of the different GM ones too, but GM stuff should never be mentioned. My brother almost bought a Fargo van, might make his current van one. Someday I'm going to do my Dodge van up like a 76-77 power wagon. A friend bought a Frontenac once. See if you can figure that one out I think Canada used Meteor and Monarch as well.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
I've been looking at 66 Mercury pickups. I would love to redo one so it looked the same as my 66 Mercury, do the paint and trim the same and do the interior and dash the same. And the same drivetrain. There is nothing more manly then a Tiffany blue car with brocade seats and fender skirts

Last edited by fepowerguy8; 05-15-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: forgot to include some info
Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
that would look good, trailering to a show/event

Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
i don't have it anymore, but the most positive and decent feature of my 85 that i miss dearly is the high/low floor switch. it is simple and works well. i miss that.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Trailering a show car I take that as an insult, I don't associate with those kind of people. The only cars I trailer are broke. I love to razz the guys who bring their cars on trailers, like: I thought my car was a piece of crap, at least mine can drive this far without having to be trailered

Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
dimmer switch? (which, I like, as well)

Old 05-15-2010, 02:30 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
yeah, but ya caint drive TWO vehicles

Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Dimmer switches should always be on the floor, I think it's less safe having them anywhere else. I got a car once that someone mounted the floor switch on the dash, it's kinda hard to get your foot up there.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
That's why I hire drivers Is it considered driving two vehicles if you are pushing a car with your truck and no one is in the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Name Some Good Things About Your Truck!