1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand Tools for Super Duty DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
UaVaj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Tools for Super Duty DIY

I have a set of generic autozone socket/rachet set and wrench set that has been great for passenger car DIY and everything else for as long as I could remember (perhap for the last 10 years or so). only problem so far is: I managed to tear up the 7/8 socket trying to take a tire lug of the super duty. This hinting to me that DIY job on the superduty MAY requires better tools.

I went to pickup a new generic 7/8 socket. They wanted $4.99 for just one socket or $14.99 for the whole generic set w/ new rachet. Since sears was just down the street and I remember my dad (a bus mechanic) always used craftsman. At sears I see a set of evolv 101 for $50. Next I see a set of craftsman 154 for $99.

When do you decide it is time "for" better hand tools. From: generic autozone (no warranty) to evolv (limited lifetime warranty - just keep your reciept) to craftsman (lifetime warranty - no reciept) to snap-on (top of the line).

All I ever do is basic auto DIY - now super duty DIY.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My basic tools (socket set, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc) have been Craftsman since day 1 for me, because my Dad bought me a 200ish piece set for Christmas when I was 14.

However, some specialty tools I've had to buy since then were the generic type due to lack of funds. A few examples would be a tie rod puller, seal drivers, a slide hammer, and numerous others from Harbor Freight.

Since I got out of college and got a better paying job, I've been trying to buy the "better" tools when I need them. An example of this is the OTC ball joint press I bought about a year ago.

I can't say the Harbor Freight tools have ever really let me down though. Always seemed to do the job. I did avoid buying drill bits, chisels, and those type of tools from HF though.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tools are like an investment, I never buy cheap stuff. Good tools will last several lifetimes.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Originally Posted by UaVaj
. only problem so far is: I manage to rip up the 7/8 socket trying to take a tire lug of the super duty. This hinting to me that DIY job on the superduty MAY requires better tools.
That's the issue there. Trying to use a ratchet to break the torque of the lug nut. That is what breaker bars are for. Get at least an 18" or 2' breaker bar 1/2" drive or bigger for that. I use mine for the brakes and any other bolt that requires any more force than a few lbs of torque.

I have a mixture of craftsmen, and the box store brands (Home Depot,Lowes) but no Snap On. The craftsmen ratchets are junk even though it's a no questions asked exchange. The first time you grind your knuckles because of their cheap parts in the ratchet you'll forget about their lifetime warranty.

IMO unless you earn a living using your tools Snap On isn't worth the cost unless you have money to blow or just want bragging rights for $15K worth of hand tools.

Last edited by Rugby3; 05-08-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Cleared up last statement
Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, lugs are not 7/8", they are 13/16" or equivalent metric, could be the source of your socket problem.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
In a nutshell. Am I gonna continue to break more of these generic tools by doing Super Duty DIY?

If so - it might be time to step up to craftsman quality... or at least evolv quality.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, you are going to break things working on an SD, I would go craftsman, they hand you a new one if you break it. Same for me, got a set when I was 14 - 15 for Christmas and have been building on it ever since. Just got a craftsman air set and now I needs some heavy air sockets too. My tools have been stolen several times, take pictures and have reciepts, then your insurance gives you a ticket to go shopping at sears. Again, take pictures of everything. trust me.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
You certainly will if your using the wrong tool for the job. Also over time since they are made with cheaper metal they will be prone to failure, how soon can be completely random. I broke this 1/2" to 3/8" adapter two weeks ago. It was a cheapie I bought at an auto parts store probably 7 years ago. I have used it hard since then and it finally gave up YMMV though.

I do believe in buying quality tools and try to buy them piecemeal here and there so the expenses aren't so much a hit in the wallet. Buy things as you need them and compare the prices between Lowes/Home Depot to the Craftsmen. I have a 1/2" drive ratchet from HD that is head and shoulders above the Craftsmen in quality and was cheaper.Another way is tell family members what you want for tools so at b-day or christmas time you may get surprised.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
crw f250
Freshman User
A older mechanic told me to buy the best tools you can afford, you will never say that you spent to much on that tool 20 or 30 years from now. The exceptions are some specialty tools that might only get used once or twice & if you are prone to misplacing tools or lending them out. That is what your 1st set of tools is for.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
J_E_Summit
Postmaster
A middle ground between Craftsman and Snap On is Jet tools. Their ratchets are super smooth and not near as bulky as craftsman.

Rugby and cartman are right too, awlays use a breaker bar to get things moving and check the size, alot of things are metric now.

Also, I would get a torque wrench for when things go back together.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
I would answer your question with "YES", you are going to need a better grade of tool to work on your SD. Almost everything is bigger and in most cases tighter than it was in your car days. Better tools make the work easier and allow you a better chance at saving some money. To the poster earlier who said their lug nuts were not 7/8, I would say better check your truck.......I have not found a SD yet with 13/16 lug nuts. If your 1/2 drive ratchet and socket will not hold up to taking off a lug nut, without the use of a breaker bar, then you are in for sure need of a tool upgrade.

Having worked my way up from S-K to Snap On over the years, I would tell you to always buy the best tools you can afford at the time, you will not regret it when you need those tools to get you out of a bind.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Heavy Duty f250
Senior User
I'm starting to buy tools from Pawn Shops. The majority of tools I see in Pawn Shops are Snap-on Craftsman and some Cornwall tools.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 PM
symonds86
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
im a mechanic for a living and i buy mostly snap on now some make and matco as well started off with craftsman and still have what i have replaced with better stuff for work at home. craftsman did the job fine and are great for diy but if you make yer living with them they difference in quality shows after using them everyday. expecially when it comes to toolboxes IMO

o yeah and the snap on man now gives me dibs on the used stuff he takes in, I love the used tool bin!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
So far I have made by with a basic socket set in the $150 range. I had to learn the hard way tho, to get a breaker bar for this truck. A good 3 tonne floor jack, a good creeper, and some torque wrenches have got me by so far. I just loved the parts guys look on his face when I told him I needed one in the 250 ft lbs plus range to work on the truck. He thought I was working on a semi.
I am still waiting for a good day to run across a mechanics set that some of them sell off for cheap, like $5k sets for $1500. I have seen them in my earlier days when I didn't need them.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
CampD
Senior User
Craftsman now a days are made in china and dont hold-up like they used too. I have a set thats almost 40 yro and still works great and if a ratchet from that set breaks, I will try and find replacement guts for it instead of returning it for new junk. 1st thou, I would get myself a starter set of hardened 1/2" sockets to work on the truck, you wont be sorry for spending the extra bucks to start and if later you add an air impact (which is the only way to remove lug nuts, IMO) you'll be that much ahead.