Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior User

Explorer Freak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power window switches don't work.

The front pass. side door and both rear door power window switches don't work on my '99 Explorer. All the windows go up and down just fine when using the driver's door switches. Also, the pwr. locks button on the front pass. door doesn't work. It will lock, but won't unlock.
Is there a fuse that's blown or is this something more complicated?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior User

mwkobe is starting off with a positive reputation.
main switch on driver side most likely bad it has that switch in it that disables the others and that switch fails in the disable mode

wayne
Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Since you are also experiencing issues with the power locks, and assume they work fine from the other lock switches, I'm guessing you have a broken wire or more in the multi-pin connector between the door and cabin in the door jamb. That's a pretty common problem.

-Rod
Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior User

Explorer Freak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 PM
New User

Dixiesweep is starting off with a positive reputation.
didnt know the drivers side controlled the passenger side. My driver window works fine..but, the passenger window will not go up or down sometimes. By the way..both window motors have been replaced over the last month.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiesweep View Post
didnt know the drivers side controlled the passenger side. My driver window works fine..but, the passenger window will not go up or down sometimes. By the way..both window motors have been replaced over the last month.
What year is your Explorer? Does the passenger window work reliably with the switch on the passenger door, just not the driver's door, or does it just not work reliably, regardless of which switch you use?

-Rod
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
New User

power windows

I figured it out today. I traced the power from the main switch and found that i had power to the passenger door. Then traced it from the switch to the motor. Had power all the way. Took a small body hammer and tapped the motor..and away it went. I just replaced both front window motors last week. If it does it again..i am returning the motor.. Thanks for the reply....Joe
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Postmaster

Interesting. Here's to hoping the hammer tap is a long term fix. Out of curiosity, did you replace the motors for this issue, ie: was the old motor functioning the same way? If so, I'd be very surprised if you hammer tap turns out to be a long-term fix.

-Rod
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
New User

power windows

No it wasnt working at all. I replaced them because the truck is a 91 and it was the original window motors. I am plaaning on keeping the truck so i wanted to make sure at least the windows would work. lol
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM