Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Intro: 1948 f-5 COE

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
texag09
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro: 1948 f-5 COE

Howdy,

Just got my first "Heavy Truck" It is a 1948 F-5 COE.

Will be starting the build this summer and currently looking for some parts and some advice.

Does the "FORD" hoodside script (missing in picture) interchange with smaller trucks? Does anyone repo it?

Do the grill bars? Need a bottom one.

Windsheild trim and glass interchange?

Anybody running a 300ci motor in a coe?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
ms_michelle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the stuff you mentioned should be the same as the pick ups. Dennis Carpenter makes lots of stuff for the 48 to 50 model Fords. Anything this is made for a COE only probably will not be repoped. The glass and the grill bars will be the same, the Ford emblem on the side of the hood probably is too, but not the two longer pieces on the side of the hood.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:47 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You have a decent looking truck. Keep the patina.

No one is reproducing the FORD emblem on the side of the hood. The same emblem from any F1-F8 truck will be the same. I have one if you're interested.

No one is reproducing the hood side bar trim. They COE hood side bars are different than the conventional cab trucks due to a shorter hood on the COE.

The grille is wider on the COEs than on F1-F6 trucks. However, the grille, from an F7 or F8 conventional cab truck is the same width as on a COE. The F7-F8 front fenders are also the same as on your COE.

Everything from, and including, the instrument panel to the rear half of the floor (under the seats) is the same as any conventional cab (windshield, roof, back of the cab, etc). Everything below the instrument panel to the midsection of your floor is COE specific. The doors and running boards are COE specific. Everything inside the doors is the same as in conventional cabs. The fuel tank is also the same as in any conventional cab truck. The seats are different in a COE.

The larger truck forum is great, but I suggest that you stick around in the 48-60 Ford truck forum as well. There are more of us in there to help you out with model year specific questions and parts searches.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great looking COE I agree with 51panelman keep the petina.