Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Wal-Mart tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:32 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wal-Mart tires?

I did a search, and came up with nata- Has anybody here run the Wal-Mart "Super Sport" tires? I need new tires today, but not ready for the muds yet. What are the pros/cons of these tires? By the way, I consider road noise to be a plus.

Old 02-01-2003, 07:34 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wal-Mart tires?

Ya get what you pay for is all I can say.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:56 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart tires?

Well, sometimes you CAN get more than you pay for. I have no experience with the Wally World tires, but thay seem to have the ability to get very good manufacturers to do their private label stuff.

Personally, I'd look at the available name brand tires they sell (and , for a wider selection, at Sam's Club), and see if the private label ones seem similar, AND are significantly less expensive. I believe there is also a DOT manufacturer's plant code stamped on all tires. If you can decode that, or find a similar one on a name brand, you will know by whom and where they had it made.

Although you may not have the latest "breakthrough design" (if you think there is one), I don't believe you can go too far wrong with the Walmart tires. However, I probably wouldn't trust their mechanics for anything out of the ordinary.

Old 02-13-2003, 12:52 AM
351ReasonsToRace
New User
Wal-Mart tires?

hey, as far as i know Wal-marts super sports cross over to the super Gt we have here in Canada. As long as we have the same buyers, that tire is made by good year, and overall form what ive seen gets a pretty good life. I wrok in automotives at a wal-mart in alberta, and anyone at the wal-marts tha has actually taken time to learn somethin can tell you who the no-name tires are made by. Right now all are tires except for two kumho lines we sell are good year. Most of the tires we sell customers are happy with, but as with anythingm you have cases to deal with. Anymore questions on the tires let me knoiw, i'll help you out. have a good one

Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wal-Mart tires?

My wifes co-worker used to get wal-mart tires all the time, she said they never seemed to hold air for very long, and blew out more often than other tires she had used. That's just what I heard, don't know if there is any truth in it or not.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:43 AM
DeKuma
Senior User
Wal-Mart tires?

We have been running the Sport King tires fron Sam's Club (Walmart) For years on our 85 F-250. We have never had a complaint other than they do not clean out very well in heavy mud, but that is what you would expect from just an All-Terrain. We are currently running 33x12.50x16.5. Been on this set for close to 3 years or more and still look good.

Old 02-13-2003, 12:14 PM
pbrstreetg
Senior User
Wal-Mart tires?

Hi-
I just bought two new/used(very little offroad, still have **** on them) 35x12.5-15's. I believe these are the tires Ford_Six refers to when he started this post. They say in outlined white letters(OWL) "Super Sport Radial HT". By their looks I would consider them an on/off road tire (they're lugged) and definitely more aggressive than an all terrain in my experience. My current tires are in that annoying state where you need new ones bad, but then when you have replacements you wait to really kill the ones on there (Conti Trac M/T's right now). I will either buy 2 brandy new ones at Walmart, or will get two same size others from elsewhere. Needless to say, when I start getting pulled over or have a blowout I will mount these, and then have something to share with you's. But this could be a couple weeks.
PS- I buy used tires when the deals right hence I've had the chance to run alot of different brands. I'll try these what the hell. And I've heard they're made by Goodyear also so I second that post i read somewhere saying that.

Old 02-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Ken2600
Elder User
Wal-Mart tires?

I've never run their larger tires, but on my 97 explorer I'm running Wal-Mart's 235-75-15 Liberators. They've been very good tires from what I can tell and are alot cheaper than the other brands. The guy that installed them said they were made by Michelin I believe.

Old 02-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Scotte
Senior User
Wal-Mart tires?

Originally posted by Ford_SIX
I did a search, and came up with nata- Has anybody here run the Wal-Mart "Super Sport" tires? I need new tires today, but not ready for the muds yet. What are the pros/cons of these tires? By the way, I consider road noise to be a plus.
Last year I looked at the Liberator at Wal-Mart in 285/75R16 load range D. The tire was made by Michelin for Wal-Mart. I did not buy them, however, let me say this. For the money they looked very good. I no longer have the quote, but I seem to remember that for 5 tires the total cost was less than $500.00. That was with lifetime balance and a tire replacement warranty. So if one gets screwed up, take it back and get another.
Having said that, I do not know anyone that is using this tire and have no idea how long they will last or how good of a tire they are. The price does seem rather impressive.

Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Ken2600
Elder User
Wal-Mart tires?

As I was saying, I'm running them on my Explorer. The 235-15s white letters were $52 each + around $8 for lifetime balance, rotation, and road hazard warranty. So that made them 4 for about $250.

Also, my brother and father also are running them and so far, none of the three of us have had any trouble. I've put 18k miles on mine and they've each put a little less but all without issues.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:49 PM
anollmann
Senior User
Wal-Mart tires?

I bought my 33x12.50 BFG AT KO tires from wal-mart almost 18 months ago and have been nothing but happy. I searched around town and online to find the cheapest price, and wal-mart matched it! The tires were ordered and arrived within 3 days and I even talked them into free installation. They have also been really good about free rotation and balancing as promised. Only thing I can say is go early in the morning or you will wait all day for service...

Old 09-29-2003, 05:44 PM
roachero77
New User
A friend of mine just bought the super sport tires, he got the biggest ones the offer, 35X12.5. If you go in the mud, i would highly recommend them. I thought he had good tires before. But the supersports dig very very well. I am also about to purchase them. go ahead, you will not be dissapointed

Old 09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
natewoz
Elder User
The "Super Sport" offroad type tires are the same thing as the BIG-O brand Muds.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
roachero77
New User
Big O.. what are big O.. never heard of them.. what company makes them.

Old 09-30-2003, 10:49 PM
natewoz
Elder User
I do beleive that Big-O is their own brand. They have retail locations, but not in my neck of the woods. Easy to find if you yahoo search them.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart tires?