1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just got my 1956 F100 last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Jeff750
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 1956 F100 last night

So, I just got my 56 F100 last night and now my mind is racing with ideas and options for just about everything to do with the truck. One idea that has me stumped is what kind of engine to get to put in it. Do I build one up or buy crate? What type and size? All and any ideas are welcome. I do not care to keep it original.

Picasa Web Albums - JEFF - 56 Ford F100

Old 05-08-2010, 04:21 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jeff, and welcome to the effie owners club!

I would suggest starting with deciding on what direction you want to go with your build, and work out a budget. You can make the best use of your resources, both time and money, if you have a plan.

I'm going to assume you didn't just fall into the truck, but have been thinking about a project like this for some time. Tell us what you've been dreaming of, and maybe we can help you realize your dreams.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 PM
chloichina
Senior User
Wayne is right,
I went with the Ford small block, anything happens its easy to replace and get parts for. I am currently working on a 351 Cleveland for a second motor and or the next project (32 Fordor sedan). Its easy to find a tranny that will fit in the small block bolt pattern. I really love the FE motors but they are hard to fit and the 429 is awsome but I went with fuel economy, I get well over 20 miles to the gallon with the 302.

This is just my opinion but please do not use a Cheby engine if you cross those bounds go HEMI for a unique look.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey! Welcome to FTE! Looks like you've got a good project starter there...and from the looks of it there's no motor in it right now.

To start off, I'd say write down every idea you have no matter how crazy. Keep puting your ideas down until your head stops spinning (at least, so much), and in the mean time you can pull things apart and see just what problem areas you have that need attention. Put all those issues down on a list too. Once the "new toy" rush subsides a little you can think about how you plan to use the truck in 5, 10, 50yrs. Then you can filter your lists to suit your purpose.

If in five years you see the truck sold, and you on to a new project, then tailor your build to get the best bang for your buck (not too wild unless you have mad-fab skills).
Will you be racing it down a track? Cruising down the highway? Hitting up beauty pageants and winning trophies? Will you pass it down to a son/daughter? Those kind of questions will help give some direction to your build.

Good luck!

James

Old 05-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice score!!! Same advice here. Sit down stare at it a long time. Write 2 lists. 1 "wish" list as if money was no object and 1 realistic list. Then try to balance the 2 list. The truck will tell you how it wants to be built, but put a FORD engine in it!!!! I didnt do that and have been sick ever since. Also, dont be afraid to ask questions here. This place is loaded with knowledgeable guys/gals We've been around the block a few times and know what works and what DONT! we've made our fair share of mistakes and you can learn from them. This is not to sound as a "know it all" So please dont take it that way at all, but after tryin to correct some of my original built in stupid mistakes this week. If I could impress one thing on you it would be to listen to some "seasoned" veterans of the hobby. You may have to "weed" out some opinions at times, but all in all some very good advice to be had on here. Stick around. Also put on where you are located. You just might have a good FTE neighbor close by? If you get the chance you should go to the Smokey Shadow's run in June if ya can, its a real good show.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Jeff, congratulations on joining us crazies! Not to rain on your parade, but what I see in the pictures is a bare shell. I think the first thing you really need to do is be honest with yourself. Do you have the skills, place to work, tools and ambition as well as budget to proceed with as major an undertaking as this project will require? The reality is that you are looking at is a minimum 5-10 years of build time working almost every free minute, $15-30,000.00 investment depending how good you are at locating parts and how much you can do yourself, a 2 car or at least an oversized 1 car garage with at least one or two 220V electrical circuits, good lighting and heat and/or cooling depending on your climate, with another car's worth of dry parts storage space that can be totally dedicated to the build for the duration of the build, and a pretty major collection of tools and equipment: mig or tig welder, Ox-Ac torch set, 6+ HP 60+ gal 220V compressor, drill press, etc. and the ready cash to purchase whatever you don't have.
Just because the starting point was inexpensive doesn't mean it will be able to be completed inexpensively. Those of us who have been around this hobby for a while can tell you there are two ways to have an old vehicle. Start off with an inexpensive starting point and spend a lot of money and a lot of time building it up, or buy a finished or near finished project someone else put all that time and money into, finish it off for a much smaller cost and shorter time and drive it. Either way the cost will be about the same in the end, the difference is do you want to spend years building it or driving it?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi and Welcome to FTE.

Has anyone ever seen the Movie "Ground Hog Day" with Bill Murray?

There's tons of discussions about engines and what to do with the truck that will make lots of good reading.

I might be tempted to look through the search and see about re-engining. While you are at it, yo umigh tlook at transmissions, rear end options and brakes. These are all things youwill probably have questions about!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the project. What was it that Jesse James use to say on Monster Garage...... oh yeah all that is left to do is everything
Looks like you are missing a few parts...or are they include in rotten, bug infested card board boxes like so many others here acquired with their new projects.... or was that just me... but on the bright side it is a blank slate so to say...... and there isn't a whole lot of part removing to do, then some, well a lot of sanding and prep, to get it into a nice coat of primer
I will echo the above statements develop a plan and a budget and then double the budget and plan on 2 or 3 times as long as you thought it would take. Lots of info/opinions here...... some of them are even worth listening to
Feel free to ask questions, that is what the board was started for way back when
As for engine I am partial to small blocks as in 302/351W but that is just me.... depends on what you want to spend and how available parts are in your area...

Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Jeff, Welcome to the best place to find info on your new project!!

..looks like rust is not going to be your 1st priority...

.,,use the search function and ask alot of questions..Welcome!!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
My grandpa has a 56 f100 bigwindow that he restored a few years ago. He put the 55 thunderbird 292 and a 3 speed overdrive. It has a lot of power and practically flies.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For a few grand you could get a motor/tranny combo dropped in, rebuild the brake system (new shoes, springs, lines, mc rebuild) update the wiring, etc. and be on the road. You could go with the patina look until you figure out what the truck wants to be...or rattle can her flat black to put a hold on the rust until you get around to it. Either way you'll get tons of thumbs up and a lot of smiles.

Essentially that's what I did with my truck, then after about four months, I tore her down and spent about 15 doing what I wanted to do to her and I went from there. She's not perfect and has never won any trophies, but I drive her almost every day and have plans in the works for upgrades down the road.

Point being, there are a million different things you can do, some take forever (5-10yrs like Ax said...guy knows what he's talking about) and some take a lot less time (just make sure you're safe...no joy in killing yourself and a potentially great truck by skipping important stuff like brakes). Figuring out what you want to do with her is your biggest question, but in the mean time you could pick up a good small block/tranny combo at a junkyard and be able to drive her while you plan instead of just looking at her.

Okay, I'm going to stop now. Yes...I'm going to stop. I'm too excited. This isn't my truck.

Peace,
James

Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
welcome to fte ,like everyone has said that there is a ton of information here
and you will get all the help that you need here.Good luck with your truck.
I like the small blocks too ,but please keep a ford engine in it

Old 05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Project

Jeff,

Are you in the SF Bay Area? I thought that I had seen that '56 on Craigslist.

I'm sure everyone that knows you - thinks your crazy to start a project like that.

Here is a picture of the front of my '54 project - it has a Volare front clip. I already have 2 engines and transmissions for it!. A rebuilt straight 6 with a 4 speed granny shift

and a 302 with a rebuilt AOD transmission. If you are in the Bay area you are welcome to come over and jawbone for a while. My email is cwordsmith@aol.com

Chris
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
oldmanrvr5
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 11 Posts
Jeff,

I have a 302 v8 small bock in mine. Please at least keep a ford motor in the truck. I have a one piece tilt front end to make the motor easy to get to. You will have many choices and styles to pick from on this site. Good luck on your build, have fun.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Jeff750
Freshman User
I just found out my father in law is willing to donate a 351 Cleavland with a 3 speed tranny to my cause. Thank you all for the great advice, I will be reading a lot on this forum as I see a lot of you are really into helping out and sharing info. Yes, it is a shell and I have most tools and experience to put this back together. My best friend and his older brother will be help in the things I need help on since they have a long history of rebuilding classic mustangs. His older brother is a really good fabricator. As for the time and money, I knew that from the start. I fully accept this challenge. I have the patience and then determination to make this my long term project and will enjoy ever minute of the build. I will have many questions to come.

First question, how well does the 351C mount up in the 56? I havent measured, but most likely i figure I will have to weld in the mounts.

Quick Reply: Just got my 1956 F100 last night