Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 PM
New User

Location: A small hick town filled with kids who think JAP CARS are the sh**
SPLASH_95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Bragging Rights

I have a 95 Ford Ranger Splash that is coming close to 215 thousand actual miles on it. Bought it new off the lot!!! The only maintenance work it has had done to it is replaced the fuel line after a cat got caught in the motor and popped the line.....poor poor putty cat. Looking at doing a engine swap on it here in the near future...from a 2.4 to 4.6. Watcha guys think? I will need some guidance from everyone on this.

Thanks
SpLaSh 95
Old 02-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Senior User

AOGDEN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bragging Rights

I have thought about the 4.6 for mine. Unfortunately I have to wait a while. I only have 16000 on it and plan on waiting till it hits at least 150000. Should be a real screamer.

My goal in life is to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Posting Guru

DainBramage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DainBramage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bragging Rights

Awww, come one. You've got a least 100,000 moe miles before you have to worry about that motor.

Anyway, the 5.0 swaps have proven to be a little easier, you might want to look into it. There's a lot of info over at RPS and TRS about it.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:51 PM
New User

pstorr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bragging Rights

My 89 Ranger SuperCab XLT just turned over 330,000 miles. All I ever did was change oil/filter every 6,000 miles and put a new timing belt on approx. every 100,000 miles. Fuel mileage used to be about 28, but has dropped to low 20s now. Takes about a quart of oil every 2,500 miles.

Best vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Senior User

cbwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bragging Rights

Everywhere that I've read about V8 conversions say that 4.6's won't physically fit into a Ranger.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Freshman User

fordluver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bragging Rights

the 5.0 will fit you just have to cut on the heat box and and upgrade the suspension do to the increase in height but other than that it isnt that hard
Old 03-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Senior User

Majisto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bragging Rights

Main problem with the modular motors, and any OHC motor is the size of the valve covers because of the cams being in the heads instead of the block. The 4.6 DOHC would be too large to fit in a Ranger. Have you seen the enormous valve covers? They're monstrous!

The SOHC 4.6 MAY fit, but I think you should stick to the tried and true 302 motor that doesn't have the immense valve covers to get in the way
Old 03-14-2003, 12:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines