Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
New User

John-1967 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1949 ford pickup restoration

Hello;
I am considering the restoration of a 1948 - 1950 ford pickup. I would like to retrofit the body onto a modern frame, I was thinking a Ranger frame. What is the best frame, fit-wise to use? Is this a big job? Is a Ranger extended cab too long?

Any help / comments are welcome

Thanks

john the rookie
Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior User

f100newb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-1967 View Post
Hello;
I am considering the restoration of a 1948 - 1950 ford pickup. I would like to retrofit the body onto a modern frame, I was thinking a Ranger frame. What is the best frame, fit-wise to use? Is this a big job? Is a Ranger extended cab too long?

Any help / comments are welcome

Thanks

john the rookie
Get ready for it cause here it comes....

Nothing against wanting to do this and I know very little about the subject but a quick search will get you a VERY long list of pro, cons and differing opinions on the subject. Long story short you are better off keeping the stock frame and retro fitting the important items onto it. Disc brakes, power steering and the like. Unless you like grueling punishment and are a master fabricator I would suggest NOT doing it. Just my .02

That being said there is a site that has some info on using the S10 frame. It is for a Chevy body though not a ford. Good Luck man!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
New User

1949 pickup restoration

Thanks for the advice.

jf
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Posting Guru

Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
1948-52 Ford Truck Frame Swap

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/94...-up-frame.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...-1959-s-b.html

“Old, cynical, and cranky.”
Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Elder User

Blue50F-1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey John. Welcome to FTE!

Do you have the truck yet? From the way your post reads, I'm guessing not. I thought about doing the same thing before I got my truck. The truth was, there is a lot of measuring, cutting, welding, fabricating, and guess work involved in doing a body swap. It can be done, certainly, and picking the right vehicle (S10, Ranger, Bronco II) can make all the difference in the world. BUT, once I actually had my truck I realized that the frame was in dang good shape, as good or better than the S15 I had as an option. Furthermore, having an early BB truck meant that there's plenty of aftermarket to supply me with relatively cheap parts when I can't get them at the old-time part store. Pretty much anything I could want my truck to do will bolt on to the old frame, keeping the body mounted properly while allowing me to add a newer rear end, newer front subframe/ifs, whatever I want.

My advice: Only pull the trigger on this idea AFTER you get a hold of a truck. If the truck you get has a hacked up, rusted out, and/or beat to crap frame...GO FOR IT, if it's got a good frame, save yourself the time, money, and frustration...there will be plenty of other things to use them on.

Good luck!
James

Driver,
'50 F-1, Light Blue, Tan int, 69 302, 4spd OD manual.
'66 Mercury Parklane, Original, light blue, 410, C6.
02 Explorer XLT, 4.0
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hi John,

Welcome to FTE.

Yep, this subject comes up monthly. I'd wait to see what you end up with first, then sit down and come up with a plan.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Welcome John!

Have you owned a Bonus Built truck before? Driven one? I'm curious why you want to zoom straight to a drastic modification straight-away?

By the way, the words "restoration" and "frame swap" are mutually exclusive.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
New User

Post to swap frames or not

thanks for the advise everyone. I plan to leave the existing frame and promise to never ask the question again.

jf
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
To put things into context, a restoration by definition is to re-create the original. To resto-mod is modify a vehicle but allow it to "look" original, and then there's the full on custom, where everything is changed to an extent. Just swapping frames and drivetrain would typically fall under the resto-mod category. Hope that helps. Anyhow, a Ranger frame with a 114" (113.9) wheelbase is what you'd want to look for.
The rest are just average.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Elder User

Blue50F-1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-1967 View Post
thanks for the advise everyone. I plan to leave the existing frame and promise to never ask the question again.

jf
Hey, don't let us overwhelm you. We just like to help out is all. Opinions are all most of us have anyway! (at least that we can share)

Whatever you decide to do, keep us updated. We love to see rides in progress no matter what you're doing with them!

James

Driver,
'50 F-1, Light Blue, Tan int, 69 302, 4spd OD manual.
'66 Mercury Parklane, Original, light blue, 410, C6.
02 Explorer XLT, 4.0
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
New User

bandit16t is starting off with a positive reputation.
49 F1

My 49 has stock frame. Frame was dropped 8" under cab to keep leg room. Top chopped 6". Wish it was 8" to 10". I would post a picture but cant figure out how to do it.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1949, 1950, chassis, dimensions, end, f1, f100, ford, frame, ifs, rear, restoration, truck, trucks, wheelbase