1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Moog upper control arm/balljoint...not an installation ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moog upper control arm/balljoint...not an installation ?

Expy owners with air suspension that replaced the upper control arm/balljoints with the greaseable, which Moog unit did you use? If you can provide manufacturer and PN...would be appreciated. I'm thinking the RW drive version would work as it appears to have the provision for the solenoid valve bracket but wanted to tap the knowledge base here. Now I wonder if the ones on the truck now is the correct ones.

Reason why I ask is explained below.

I am having problems finding them for my truck with air suspension. Here's the issue. I replaced both upper control arms and balljoints back in July 2008; non-greaseable ones. They are squeaking now. So I plan to return them under warranty. So I go online to do my homework prior to removing and exchanging them; getting part nos and ensuring no problems with a warranty exchange. I find that all they have are the greaseable control arms/balljoints, which is a good thing, but no longer manufacture the non-greaseable ones. I found the following part Nos.

8726 and 8728 (RWD, no specification for air suspension but the picture looks to have the provision for the solenoid valve bracket)
Control Arm w/Ball Joint by Moog - Part K8728T - Advance Auto Parts

8722 and 8724 (4wd w/out air suspension)

Control Arm w/Ball Joint by Moog - Part K8724T - Advance Auto Parts

Note: only difference I see between the control arms (drivers side) with air suspension and without air suspension is one has a provision to mount the solenoid valve bracket.

I talk to Moog tech line and they stated that they no longer manufacture non-greaseable control arm/balljoints for the Expy and that they do not make the control arm/ball joint for the Expy with Air Suspension.

So here I am between a rock and a hard place. I can't exchange my defected upper control arm/balljoint unit under warranty because they don't manufacture a replacement part.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks...Al

Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the part you need to replace was bought from Advance A.P. they will replace it with an equal or better part. I have run into a similar situation in the past. TRW and MOOG are (were) by the same corporation that probably made the OEM parts for Ford.
See if you can get the manager to get the 2WD and the 4WD parts into the store to compare. They are probably the same part but the 4WD parts may be a little more sturdily built. If all else is the same I would opt for the 4WD parts.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Thanks for the response Moto.

I looked at the 4wd version and it does not have the provision (2 raised metal piece that keeps the mount from moving back and forth) to mount the air valve bracket. I know that I can rig something but may look at another brand for an exact fit.

Can anyone suggest another brand to use?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disa[ppointed with Moog ball joints

I replaced my original ball joints with Moogs because they had zerks, but the Moog's rubber(?) boots were shredded in a little over a year.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Methodical_1
Thanks for the response Moto.

I looked at the 4wd version and it does not have the provision (2 raised metal piece that keeps the mount from moving back and forth) to mount the air valve bracket. I know that I can rig something but may look at another brand for an exact fit.

Can anyone suggest another brand to use?

Thanks
I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes these parts, so it looks like we are all stuck with TRW/MOOG. I personally like their products and have been using them for what seems like forever.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Here's a set I found at Napa...notice the 2 raise metal pieces on the control arm that is what I need to mount the Air Valve bracket for the air suspension. So there is another maker of these upper control arms with grease fittings. Seems like I may have to give them a try.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Here's a set I found at Napa...notice the 2 raise metal pieces on the control arm that is what I need to mount the Air Valve bracket for the air suspension. So there is another maker of these upper control arms with grease fittings. Seems like I may have to give them a try.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
The arms from NAPA look good, I just looked at the units sold by Advance that are made by Dorman and there are some visible differences but I'm confident either arms will work fine. To me the big difference is the price and if there is a grease fitting on the Dorman arms or not. I believe that the Dormans are U.S. made as are the TRW/MOOG units and probably the NAPAs are too. I have found that many greasable parts are shipped/sold without zerk fittings installed but are in a little bag for the installer to use,or not.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Hey Moto do you have a link for the Dorman control arm?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Hey Moto do you have a link for the Dorman control arm?

Thanks
I found it on Advance Auto Parts site.
Dorman Suspension Control Arm

Part No.</B> 520-215 ******** type=text/javascript> var newDocument = { write : function(content) { $('div#hasReviews_23120').append(content); } }; POWERREVIEWS.display.snippet(newDocument, {pr_page_id : '23120',pr_read_review : "http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Suspension-Control-Arm-Dorman_20514371-P_2070_R|GRP60005_715755529___#fragment-3",pr_snippet_min_reviews: "1"}); *********>

Warranty: LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT
Front Left Upper; 4WD; Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Dorman - OE Solutions

$51.99

I think that for the price difference it's worth looking at.

PS; the extra scrambled text came with the ad info, not me.