Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Senior User

Gental Ben 2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cat delete= power; mpg; lower egt?

I have seen posts about folks asking about cat delete for the better sound but not much on other benefits.
A catalitic converter by it's nature severally restricts exhaust flow so with it out does anybody have any stats onower; mpg; lower egt?
Our is it better to leave in the cat and take out the masive stock muffler?
2005 6.0 fully stock (so far).
Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gental Ben 2 View Post
I have seen posts about folks asking about cat delete for the better sound but not much on other benefits.
A catalitic converter by it's nature severally restricts exhaust flow so with it out does anybody have any stats onower; mpg; lower egt?
Our is it better to leave in the cat and take out the masive stock muffler?
2005 6.0 fully stock (so far).
I'm not going to sit here and tell you all kinds of lies about how much your mileage will improve. This is what I did to my '04....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...ml#post8281083

I've noticed right about 1 to 2 mpg improvement over what I've done in the past. Did loosing the kitty make that much of a difference? Maybe. But I've been vigial about my tire pressures & rotation on the Michlins and running fuel additives to each tank as well. So, maybe all three have helped, maybe not. I'm still running factory "tunes" on the truck. Maybe Santa will bring me a SCT tuner this year and I can really see what kind of mileage I can get out of the Pavement Princess.
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
The amount of restriction from a properly working CAT is there, but not really that large - much more restriction comes from the muffler, which you cannot remove.

Remember that the diesel flows the same amount of air regardless of throttle, (though the amount of exhaust increases with larger throttle because of thermal expansion and combustion creating more gases), so there is less to be gained from upgrading the exhaust vs. the gas.

If the Cat is constricted (clogged by particles), there is the problem.

The best "mod" is to put a large hole (about tube diameter) down the middle without taking out the cat and without damaging the ceramic enough to cause the cat to rattle.

That way, it technically still passes the smog test requirement (there is a functioning cat), but the restriction is nearly all gone.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearloose1 View Post

Remember that the diesel flows the same amount of air regardless of throttle, (though the amount of exhaust increases with larger throttle because of thermal expansion and combustion creating more gases)
I don't want to hijack and take this thread in another direction, but this is simply false. As with any other internal combustion engine, airflow in a diesel increases as rpm's increase.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Senior User

ehgeeray is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
I don't want to hijack and take this thread in another direction, but this is simply false. As with any other internal combustion engine, airflow in a diesel increases as rpm's increase.

Yes as the "RPM's/Load on the engine increase" you need need to introduce more air and fuel to produce more power. If the amount of air was consistent you would be running way to lean at idle...
Vehicle: 2004.5 Ford F250 SRW - FX4 Crew, EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs, (Black ONYX Gaskets) Replaced with Stock Gaskets, Coolant Filter, Updated Turbo drain & feed lines, Glowshift Gauges: Boost, Fuel Pressure, EGT, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, Gearhead Tunes (SRL++)
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
He said with throttle, not with rpm. Implying there is nothing restricting the intake when the throttle is let off like the throttle body in a gas engine.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Interstate Menace

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
For diesels, Lean= Mean..
04 EB X w/ 03 6.0l PSD Tunes by Eric at IDP, ARPs, ITP RR, 4" SS MBRP, Custom Dual HFCMs, ZEX N2O w/custom controls, DC Power Polished 190, DH Plats, Riffraff IC Boots in Red, DS Coolant Filter, DiPricol 4 pillar, SGII, LTX MS2, Toyo Proxies, M&H Racemasters, Hellwig, Bilsteins, Firestone Ride Rites, ViAir 480C comp/3 gal tank, Siege horns, SEIC/High Idle Mod, V1 w/custom LEDs, 55wt 5K HL's, 35wt 5K FL, KC 121 130wt DL's, Clarion NX702, Alpine Amps and Kicker Subs.
RIP STEVE. I'll miss you, my friend.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
so far as putting a hole in the cat. it is not leagal to do so and as a result you would fail for tampering. sorry but thats just the way it is. So if you are gonna go that far just knock it all out.

why cant the muffler be removed. I see it done all the time.

what kind of gains from removing the cat. I saw 0 change in mpg, egt may be lower but I dont have a pyro installed as of yet.
the exhaust note did not even change all that much.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post

Steve: Agree!

What I should have said is given x rpm...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
100-maybe 200 degree drop in egts on a stock exhaust and gutted cat. You can faintly hear the turbo at idle. Overall noise is not really much difference. No big gains in mpg. Might have gotten 1mpg but that is not great enough to proclaim a gain in my book. Loosing the muffler is next on the list st some point. Knocking a hole in the ceramic is pointless. Unless your truck is running terrible is should pass a sniffer. Also unless they either run a camera or pull the cat there is no way they will be able to prove it was gutted. Worst case they fail you for opacy or something else. Visually though it is there. Proving it is not functioning or altered will be extremely difficult.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
Also unless they either run a camera or pull the cat there is no way they will be able to prove it was gutted. Worst case they fail you for opacy or something else. Visually though it is there. Proving it is not functioning or altered will be extremely difficult.
sorry but not so again.
You can tap on a cat with a hammer and tell if its there are not. big big differance in tone.
also you need to do a little reading on delta testing. for less then $100 tool I can tell you what cat is working and what cat is not.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
As far as inspections go in my town I have had a cat on my truck twice during inspections. Two different trucks because they got inspected at purchase. I've been driving since 1996. Gas and diesel. No issues with being cited or failing a inspection. A tech might be abe to tell. A inspection place? I doubt they would do that. Law enforcement? Again very doubtful unless they had some sting. I could run a camera down my tail pipe if I really wanted to just like we do for problem drains and prove it was gone as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Posting Guru

lakewood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have an 05 catless with a bored out silencer ring, my truck screams, sounds really really good, heads turn when i go by, especially in the school parking lot i get alot of complements on the sound

2005 F-250 CCSB FX4 Lariat PSD
2001 F-350 CCLB XL SRW PSD
I'm a Rev-X dealer. PM me for forum member deals!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Posting Guru

lakewood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well just went out and took a video for the sound of my exhaust, sounds good other than the static from wind/exhaust, ill take a better one tomorrow.

YouTube - 2005 6.0 turbo whistle

2005 F-250 CCSB FX4 Lariat PSD
2001 F-350 CCLB XL SRW PSD
I'm a Rev-X dealer. PM me for forum member deals!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior User

solaratomic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
heads turn when i go by, especially in the school parking lot
Man I'm old...lol
Sold: 1996 F-150 5.0L 2WD Eddie Bauer / 2001 F-150 4x4 5.4L CC Lariat / 2005 Mustang GT
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, benefits, cat, catalytic, converter, delete, deleting, egts, ford, fuel, horsepower, mileage, muffler, powerstroke, removal