Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Driver's seat discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 12:58 AM
andfid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver's seat discomfort

Just wondering if any of you have felt as if the front driver's seat is uncomfortable.

I feel the seat is angled to high toward the front where the backs of your legs meet the end of the seat...sorta feels like your circulation is being cut-off. It's as if the sharper angle of the front edge puts an inordinant amout of pressure on your leg.

Anyway, am wondering if anyone else feels the same way and whether anyone has spoken to Ford about it.

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver's seat discomfort

I can't tell you any specifics, but I can tell you the number one reason people DON'T buy an Escape is the uncomfortable seats. We even took one back and refunded the customer's money because she was so uncomfortable (why she didn't notice it after THREE test drives is beyond me). I wish customers would start telling Ford, 'cause they sure don't listen to the dealers.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:37 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver's seat discomfort

My new 2003 Escape limited is just about the most comfortable vehicle we've ever owned. The Limited has leather seats so I don't know if they are different from the others.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:47 PM
andfid
New User
Angry Driver's seat discomfort

I'm sure the leather may be more forgiving...I have the cloth/vinyl seats on my XLS. If the darn end of the seat were simply flat vs angled up, I don't think I'd have such discomfort. I guess I'm asking for a regular car seat???

Old 02-03-2003, 08:19 AM
joester
Freshman User
Driver's seat discomfort

My wife and I have the no-boundries version with cloth interior.
We both like the seats, so I imagine it would depend on your body structure. We have made trips of several hours without much discomfort.
The side rails are a sore spot with us. They don't really offer much of a step. are slippery when wet, and love to give that "road dirt kiss" on the back of your leg as you get out. Being in the north east, we have seen a lot of road salt and the step bars seem to be magnets for the crud. I'm hoping to find decent mud flaps in the spring. My fingers are crossed that the "extra protection" we paid for works too.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:09 PM
thejerold
Junior User
Driver's seat discomfort

We also have the Mazda version, which i believe to be the same thing only a bit fancier. I have the power driver's seat and i too don't think it is very comfortable. The thing i really don't like is the size of the fuel tank, it is WAY to small. The other major complaint is that long column gear shifter. When it is in drive it is exactly in front of the radio volume. I keep bumping it out of gear when i go to adjust the radio. Other than those things its a great vehicle that has plenty of power and is fun to drive. In general i would say i am pleased with it.
Does anyone else have those complaints?

Old 02-04-2003, 06:30 PM
joester
Freshman User
Driver's seat discomfort

I haven't had trouble with the shifter...
I do have a bad habit of switching the wipers on when parking. The darn handle is right in front of the shifter, and easy to grab by mistake. I'll probably attempt to throw it into park too fast, and break the handle off someday.
We have been getting what we consider excellent gas mileage for an SUV so no complaints about the tank size from me.

We have the power seat as well. Like I said before, probably depends entirely on body structure.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Ford_a_holic
Senior User
Driver's seat discomfort

I actually happen to like the seats in my XLS i drove from Boston to Mayland and back in my Escape and I thought they were perfect for the long ride. I never once had to stop and get out to stretch or figet in my seat. I dont see whats so uncomfortable about them.

Old 02-27-2003, 02:00 AM
mindleak
New User
Driver's seat discomfort

Maybe it has to due with the year of the Escape... I've got a 2003... and the seats don't seem to bother me... they feel comfortable... I've just got the XLT model.

I know they fixed a lot of stuff in the newer one... like the shifter isn't as bad... in fact it works perfect for me cuz I can rest my hand on it and control the radio at the same time.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:46 AM
theracingtouch
Junior User
Driver's seat discomfort

I have the 2002 xl model with the vinyl/cloth seats and I have noticed that if i don't have the seat laying back a bit that my legs and stomach begin to get uncomfortable. I thought it was just me so i have not said anything about it, but at last there is other out there with me. My wife says it is just me but my back always hurts like the dickens after I drive for awhile as well. usally I have to stuff a small pillow or coat behind my back right where the lumbar should be but for some reason ford did not build a lumbar support in these seats. I have also noticed that our passenger front seat started to unravel, and the backing on our floor mats started to peal off. I think that I have taken our escape back to the dealer for one ting or the other about 7 times now be it the brakes on the front squeaking or the front end clucking around the corners. I have been getting all the tsb's togeather so I can baombard them at one time. If you put the car in neutral when you are crusing about 30 mph the clucth hangs and raises the rpms's and I have noticed that if you pull up to a stop to quick and pull it out of gear that the prms's will raise and lower almost dying out untill you gas it a bit. the dealer reset the computer but it started to do it again.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 PM
mindleak
New User
Driver's seat discomfort

I've got lumbar support on mine... though I don't use it. I haven't really had any problems with it yet... other than it always pulling to the left... I just need to get them to fix that. Otherwise everything else is going good. Just sometimes it takes an unusual amount of time for the engine to finally turn over and start.