General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Deepwater Horizon Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did I miss something when this incident first occurred?

I thought the Deepwater Horizon was not in actual production phase. How is this going to affect gas prices? Now....If one of the very few REFINERIES went out of service, that would be different. Even if it were production, it's spewing what.....5000 barrels/day? Hardly a dent vis-a-vis oil production.

It's an ecological disaster....But I'm not seeing how it's a price-at-the-pump disaster......

Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
first today
Postmaster

Their excuse before was Katrina. Their excuse this time will be the cost of cleaning and trying to stop this leak. It does not matter if a rig is operational or not. If the oil company has to spend money, pay lawsuits, and face fines; they will not make a profit.

The state of Louisiana is run by these oil tycoons. The buck is going to have to be re-cooped.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Last night. . . . 6 small shrimp. Same price, though.
The owner said it's because of the oil spill in the gulf.
With you being on the east coast, I'd think your market would be unaffected

Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Asian shrimp farming did more to weaken American shrimp harvesting than any hurricane or oil spill. I grew up in Carteret County, NC. That's shrimp central.

All I know is, I am MORE than willing to pay a higher price for 'native' shrimp. Maybe it's 'cause I grew up on the coast, but I just can't abide farm-raised stuff......Except in casseroles or something where the taste is masked a little. You just can't duplicate the wild caught taste. No way.

I just don't see why the couldn't get it capped soon. I'm positive I'm an ignoramus vis-a-vis actual oil drilling operations....But don't they consider this s--t? I'm mean drilling and pumping oil at high pressure....Accidents, vapors, chemicals....blah-blah-blah....Sometimes stuff goes 'boom'.......It's like this came out of the blue and the big boys are saying....'damn.....don't know what we can do....we might git 'er stopped up in a few months'!.....

WTH?!!!???

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
first today
Postmaster

Originally Posted by cmpd1781
All I know is, I am MORE than willing to pay a higher price for 'native' shrimp. Maybe it's 'cause I grew up on the coast, but I just can't abide farm-raised stuff......Except in casseroles or something where the taste is masked a little. You just can't duplicate the wild caught taste. No way.

I just don't see why the couldn't get it capped soon. I'm positive I'm an ignoramus vis-a-vis actual oil drilling operations....But don't they consider this s--t? I'm mean drilling and pumping oil at high pressure....Accidents, vapors, chemicals....blah-blah-blah....Sometimes stuff goes 'boom'.......It's like this came out of the blue and the big boys are saying....'damn.....don't know what we can do....we might git 'er stopped up in a few months'!.....

WTH?!!!???
I will agree totally. The lack of preparedness by the oil people is disturbing. As long as this industry has been in place, with todays technology, this should not be the mess it has become. They have been lax on their end for maintaining and improving safeguards.

Maybe this was all Toyota trying to get the focus off the publics dinner plate.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is interview with a first hand account of what happened by someone who was on the rig when things went wrong
Well worth listening to....

Mark’s Exclusive Interview with a Survivor from the Oil Rig Explosion
Bookmark and Share
>>>----->> Mark Levin <<-----<<< linky

Originally Posted by first today
I will agree totally. The lack of preparedness by the oil people is disturbing. As long as this industry has been in place, with todays technology, this should not be the mess it has become. They have been lax on their end for maintaining and improving safeguards.
I hope you listen to the interview, then say this afterwards..

Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
A word for the oil industry here. All offshore drilling and production is conducted under the supervision of the MMS (Minerals Management Service.) An agency of the Department of Interior. Offshore well control technology is the best available and it is regularly inspected and tested. MMS representatives regularly helicopter in to offshore drilling and production platforms unannounced to inspect records and witness testing of safely devices. There is no other industy with this much transparency.

As far as preparedness, oil platforms have spill boom reels and small boats to deploy them around a spill. If the platform has a tender boat, it too can be used to deploy spill booms. Spill drills are conducted regularly. Oil companies fund spill response companies that are on duty and on call to repond to oil spills with boom boats, booms, shoreline cleaning equipment and the labor force to deploy it all.

The Deepwater Horizon disaster is on par with the space shuttle Columbia disaster. Both are colosal failures of technology. But Challenger didn't stop us from space exploration and Deepwater Horizon shouldn't stop us from oil exploration. Whether the errors were mechanical or human, we should not rush to judgement before the facts are known.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by horsepuller
A word for the oil industry here. All offshore drilling and production is conducted under the supervision of the MMS (Minerals Management Service.) An agency of the Department of Interior. Offshore well control technology is the best available and it is regularly inspected and tested. MMS representatives regularly helicopter in to offshore drilling and production platforms unannounced to inspect records and witness testing of safely devices. There is no other industy with this much transparency.
If you listen to the interview, you will find out that they had received award from them and were maybe inline to get another one shortly...

Sounds like those buy's on the platform had there act together...except for one ity bity thing thing....

MOTHER NATURE...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorebird; Thanks for taking the time and effort to update the rest of the nation on this disaster, Being from the state of Washington we are far from the disaster and get very little information, except what they want to tell us on national news. I feel for you folks that are affected by this. Please continue to update as much as you can.Some of us do care what is happening in our nation...

Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by first today

Maybe this was all Toyota trying to get the focus off the publics dinner plate.
So says the politicians, and every other well to doer who has no clue whatsoever but feels the need to be the point man when such things as this happens, and tell about how it could have been better if this or that had been done. Truth be told, safety is taken very seriously. The BOP malfunctioned, I am positive that had this been known before hand it would have been replaced. BP and all other major oil companies are well aware of the dangers of operations and have strigint safety plans in place to attempt to mitigate any safety or environmental concerns that may arise. BP has some of the strictist precautions in their SOP almost to the point of silliness. This was a tragedgy, plain and simple.Up till now the BOP was the standard in preventing a well blow out, now research will be done and something else may take its place as a primary or secondary device. It is not a normal occurance for a rig to pollute the environment. When Katrina devastated the gulf coast, lots of damage was done to the rigs and platforms, and nothing was spilled, leaked, dumped into the water. It amazes me how when an accident like this happens, instead of it being accepted for what it is, an accident, everyone is more interested in speculating and placing blame and actually beleiving the BS the news puts out, citing reports from this government agency and that one etc etc. I havent heard a dang thing from OSHA about safety since this happened. The ones preaching safety is the ones who have never seen a drilling rig before this happened and need someone to blame their possible $10 a gallon gas on. Speaking of MMS, BP filed for a permit to plug and abandon that well 4 days before this blow out occurred. Had that permit been issued..........imagine the possibilities.

RIGZONE - Deepwater Horizon Incident

If safety infractions need to be harped on, lets talk about all the mine incidents, and the people being killed there from blatant safety infractions that are ignored continuously time and again.

One other thing. Rigzone is a good site to check out for the facts without the political spin and wizzing contest between everyone "in the know".

steps off soapbox.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jake00
With you being on the east coast, I'd think your market would be unaffected
According to the nice little man that owns the restaurant, one of his suppliers is on the gulf coast.

Truth????? Fiction????? Flat out untruth???????? An attempt to 'ration' what he has and sell for the same price???

I don't know, for sure.

I know that for the forseeable future, there won't be any more Sweet-n-Sour Shrimp being ordered, by me.
Lo Mein or some other tasty dish will have to do.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Bigdaddy for the Rigzone link.
I want to rep you but there is no rep button on your post.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 AM
first today
Postmaster

Just want to say, This has educated me.

Thanks horsepuller and big daddy. I have not really listened to the news lately, the words I type are just my opinion. I have no problem with rigs out in the gulf or adding more. I just feel that a rig is a huge money maker and I am sure can be a money pit. I still think it is wrong to say it was just an accident. This is not like a kid falling of his bike in the street. It seems that the big corporations responsible do not know how to fix their mess. 11 people are gone, and the people whose lives are dependent on the gulf for work to provide for their families are screwed. Like I said before, this is not the line of work to say "oops." and all is okay. Their will be tons of finger pointing over this, but in the end bp is responsible. The culmination of so many oops or mistakes or accidents is not right in my book. They appear to have know plan for stopping this mess right now.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM
websthes
Postmaster
These oil companies have been stealing from us for years. Why would they give a damn about the environment. Eventually it will all be forgotten.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by websthes
These oil companies have been stealing from us for years. Why would they give a damn about the environment. Eventually it will all be forgotten.
Yeah! How dare they make a HUGE 9% profit? I mean, they should be more like MicroSoft and make, what, 20% or so?? But, hey, I don't want to see this thread go to the club, Shorebird posted his info here so everyone could read it, so I'll just add that this is a great thread and informative, as well.
Thanks to all who have added to it.
I am hearing rumors of (conspiracy theory alert) sabotage. I mean, this tragedy happened the day before Eart Day... hmmmm. I'm sure the tinfoil hats will be out enforce before too long.
However, it seems to me that it was a particularly bad accident. Fail safes are added to prevent things, but- and someone please correct me if I'm wrong- fail safes need to be tested in a practical environment, right? They work in theory, but how can you test for something this big?

Quick Reply: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster