1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

TS performance chip and stacking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS performance chip and stacking.

Well I was flipping threw XDP, and well they have a cheap downpipe, so I was wondering around the site, looking for anything else, and I seen they have a TS performance 6 position chip. I wondered if it was a good chip? Also I know most people go with a PHP 6pos chip, and I wanted to know the price of a PHP chip. Cause I want the best performance I can get, but I am not going to pay out the *** either. Also I know the 24V Cummins guys can do some neat stacking on there trucks, I was wondering if anyone has ever done it on out trucks and if there is any good gains, cause the only module I ever seen that I liked and seemed legit was a Diablo Power Puck. It seems like I heard once a guy did some kind of stack on his 7.3 and I turned out really wicked. Anyways thanks in advance. Take care yall.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
sorry to say but thats impossible, you cannot stack a chip for a powerstroke diesel. the stock injectors can only push out the little fuel they do with a chip. a chip for these trucks is a great upgrade and will maximize timing and fuel delivery. the powerstroke diesels injector holds it back a TON and high pressure oil can only get so high on a stock pump. unlike a cummins, you can throw alot more threw there stock injectors

but to answer you question, the ts chip is what a good majority of us run on here, considering almost all the tuners c an put there tunes on them.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Ok first off. TS chips are good especially if you get them custom tuned by PHP, TW, Matt @ Gearhead, etc. The cheapest I've seen is through Jim at Rosewood. Its a PHP tuned chip for 350 bucks. Secondly. Please dont do any stacking. Its a waste of money. Just get yourself a nice custom tuned chip and roll some coal out yo stack!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Well I asked cause on XDP they sell the TS chip with tunes on it for 300. And thank you for the no stacking Info, I thought someone had a good stack, my bad.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
TS Performance is okay, but I'd personally go with TW.
While I'm happy with my PHP chip, PHP's lack of support pisses me off.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TheTowingCowboy
Well I asked cause on XDP they sell the TS chip with tunes on it for 300. And thank you for the no stacking Info, I thought someone had a good stack, my bad.
TS is better than no chip but knowing Rosewood sells PHP for 50 dollars more, i would argue that is your better option.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stacking chips is no good. i think it actually is possible on the PSD with a couple select modules and programmers, BUT none of it even works as good as a single custom tuned chip. see with our PCM's and the TS chip(4 bank chip) our tuners can go in and modify every setting they need to via the chip so there is no need for modules or programmers.. I'm really happy with Tony Wildmans tunes at this point. TS has a good chip, BUT the tunes that are on it aren't too great. you will definitely get more from custom tuning and TS tuning seems to run pretty hot(EGT's).

FYI, the Diablo Power Puck isn't even good on the 24v cummins. haha. they pretty much suck from my experiences actually. Also i have read that a lot of the 24v VP users have actually been losing a little power when they are stacking programming.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Travis, pretty sure it is possible to stack on our trucks. Its just a waste of time and money. This kid i know back home swears by stacking, but then again, he also thinks his Edge isn't his problem for his truck going haywire. But ya, just a single custom tuned chip will do wonders and if you were to stack, the chip would override the programmer im pretty sure anyways.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
You could stack with an edge due to the way it programs.

It rewrites the PCM, so you just set the edge tuning then throw a tuner on top.

I woudln't bother with it though.

Remember, there are, from what I can tell, 2 types of programers.
Ones like the TW, and the PHP, ts and ones like the edge which modify the PCM.
The plug in style like TW and PHP dont modify the PCM, thus no worries about the chip screwing the PCM, just user error.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
TS Performance is okay, but I'd personally go with TW.
While I'm happy with my PHP chip, PHP's lack of support pisses me off.
TW's lack of support pisses me off also. Travis will not like me saying this but after my D66 turbo install Tony said I didn't need a reburn. When I questioned him about it, he then said to send it in for a reburn. I kept rolling this around in my head until it was to late to get a reburn before my trip. I pulled a 15K 5er for 1,500 miles and my EGT's were thru the roof. My stock turbo never did that. I've been all over the country on lots of mountain grades and have never had to go into 1st gear at 20 mph, never!! Before the worse it got was 38mph in 2nd gear. I don't care if the reburn from Tony is free, just him telling me I didn't need a reburn pisses me off. I'm pulling it out and sending it to Beans to reburn. I'm sure he will get it right, they know the turbo better then anybody else. Just my two cents.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I dont really see why you would need a reburn for a d66, but if the housing is different, I'd believe it.

I emailed in a simple question to bill and called a few times and got nothing.
Thats my bitch. at least tony replied.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
my shamless plug for the night..... DP-Tuner FTW!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
TW's lack of support pisses me off also. Travis will not like me saying this but after my D66 turbo install Tony said I didn't need a reburn. When I questioned him about it, he then said to send it in for a reburn. I kept rolling this around in my head until it was to late to get a reburn before my trip. I pulled a 15K 5er for 1,500 miles and my EGT's were thru the roof. My stock turbo never did that. I've been all over the country on lots of mountain grades and have never had to go into 1st gear at 20 mph, never!! Before the worse it got was 38mph in 2nd gear. I don't care if the reburn from Tony is free, just him telling me I didn't need a reburn pisses me off. I'm pulling it out and sending it to Beans to reburn. I'm sure he will get it right, they know the turbo better then anybody else. Just my two cents.
I have to come out and say i kinda doubt the tuning is giving you that problem Glenn. honestly i don't. i mean sure i love Tony's tunes and his free reburns, but i really can't think of anything he could change for the D66 other than possibly more ICP and less PW than before, but that really wouldn't change too much i don't think b/c technically that should slow spool time. I mean really all your D66 is is a stock turbo that's been modded to increase air flow a little. Let me put it like this, my buddy's SD ran great on these stage 2's with the stock turbo and was tuned for that(although the tuning was off on the timing). it simply ran awesome, but the EGT's could get hot towing heavy loads like your saying. he put an H2E on it and we could NEVER get the EGT's over 1000* unless he gave it hell with about 20k gross in his hot tune then it would creep up around 1400*. I have to agree with Tony slightly, it shouldn't HAVE to be reburned, but it could be if you wanted it to and he could pull more fuel from it possibly for your turbo, but that would raise EGT as well.

I just hope your happy with Bean's tuning and your EGT's end up being how you want it b/c i would hate to see you throw your money like that with less than stellar end results.

EDIT: deleted half my post.. Glenn, PM sent..

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I love my PHP chip from Jim at Rosewood. It's a TS chip with PHP tunes on it. And like someone else said, it's only $50 more.

I'm running Stage I tunes with stock injectors and it runs great. Plus it's ready for the injector upgrade when I get the money.

Also, check out Bean's Diesel for a downpipe. Got mine from them for $85

Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea. I went to bed and thought about that glenn.

You shouldn't have to reburn for the D66 unless you got a smaller housing on the turbo for faster spool times.

It almost sounds like you got 3.55 gears in your truck.

Quick Reply: TS performance chip and stacking.