6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

push throttle/push brakes it stalls..PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
kimryward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation push throttle/push brakes it stalls..PLEASE HELP!

I am new here so if I am in the wrong place sorry. I have an 05 6.0, made 11/04, 140K miles. Truck runs great, Mostly starts fine even when its cold. I start the truck cold....its fine, sounds a little rattly but goes and shifts fine.After about 5-10 mins of running if I push the brakes it stalls, if I push the throttle it will accelerate but when I let off it stalls just like I turned the key off. No stutter, no nothing just dies. I still have all dash lights when this happens too. Its worse if I romp the throttle or press the brakes hard. Even still in park or neutral it does this. I have brake lights and turn signals.Now if I give it a little gas while gently holding the brakes I can get it in gear and drive provided that when I slow down I still give it a little gas....usually. The more I start and kill it the harder it is to start...but it will start after a few secs.I have read a lot about the HPOP but would that make it stall when the brakes are pushed??? There is no loss of power, no check engine lights, nothing. Just dies. I have code checked it , I got one for cam and crank sensor (which I now know happens when it stalls) have changed both, got a code for accelerator pedal, changed that...new map(no code but just in case) checked FICM 48 volts took it apart and resoldered just in case, just changed oil and filter, have checked and triple checked all fuses. I dont think its the PCM since everything else is great. My friend is the dealer mechanic, he has no idea. Maybe tranny related since pushing the brakes does it too? Maybe as a wire or sensor heats up its losing contiuity??? If so how and which ones would I start with and check? I don't want to randomly throw money at parts. I have checked for chaffing to no avail.....not unless I am losing ground somewhere? Where would I begin to start if thats a possibility. I like to think I am mechanically savvy, but this if baffling me. I am not too familiar with all this computerized stuff. I know there is a limp mode but I can run down the highway as fast as I wanna go...with loaded trailer...provided I don't touch the brakes or let off the accel to much..lol.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First suspect: is the hydroboost / power steering hydraulic pump jammed on max?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gearloose1
First suspect: is the hydroboost / power steering hydraulic pump jammed on max?
I just dont see that. not that it cant be.

it sounds like you have something shorting out v-ref. 03-04my will shut down when that happens. your friend that is a dealer tech (assuming hes a diesel tech)should know were to go from there and what to start checking.

could also be ipr related but there not a lot of logic in that either.
I do not suspect pcm for the concern.
I would try and disconnect the ebp, the icp, the maf, etc vref based sensors first. I have also seen an issue with a wire chafe near the pass threw in to the cab cause a like concern.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
How about my generic trick of resetting the computers, clearing all the codes and see what happens?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by gearloose1
How about my generic trick of resetting the computers, clearing all the codes and see what happens?
wouldnt hurt to try. ill give it thats its an odd problem. I would love to play with that truck for a little bit. thats the fun stuff.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
cheezit usually beats me on this kind of stuff....

So I defer to your judgment.

My rationale to go that route is because so many things have already been tried --- yes, a bad wire, intermittent short is clearly one to try for.

Perhaps one with the ignition key? Or VRef as you say?

The real giveaway for me is the brake - stall thing... if you have a very badly stalling hydraulic pump, that would do it...

Wonder if you can for diagnostics purposes, disconnect the hydraulic pump and see if the brake-stall thing disappears.

That would at least eliminate my hare brained guess.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

in reality you disconnect the pump by removing the belt and see if it happens. I would not go far as you will have no cooling system, a crapy break pedal and no power steering.
I would also take a look at the wire harness around the pedals and see if you can spot something good.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
.....I would also take a look at the wire harness around the pedals and see if you can spot something good.
That would be my only thought. This is kind of a crazy problem and I forsee lots of manhours and a lot of luck to find this problem. Maybe LUCK will be on your side. I wonder if there is something in the brake pedal circuit that is grounding fuel/pcm/ficm in some way via a chaffed wire?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

only thing I can think of is ckt 361 issue but thats 12v supply. it feeds all the 12volt stuff in the truck including the brake switch for the speed controll on the master. that could cause a ground to float but I still see that as unlikly. I would look at app% app1, app2, app3 and check that as well

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Quality Equip Design
New User
Having same problem

Greeting to all,

I have a 2005 (made 10-04) F350 PSSD. It is having the same dying problems that kimryward is having. I have checked the FICM harness, the harness around the pedals, the pass thru harness, checked for fault codes and bad sensors and nothing has helped.

I would like to know if kimryward has solved his problem? I welcome any input or suggestions for this issue. I am leaning toward the STC/HPOP from everthing I have read on this forum. I just really hope it is something else. I don't mind doing the work, I just would rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
kimryward
New User
Yes i did. It's the magnets that hold the cam sensor engaged in the right position. Ford had a recall or something but it didn't apply to my truck.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Quality Equip Design
New User
Same prob as Kimryward

Originally Posted by cheezit
only thing I can think of is ckt 361 issue but thats 12v supply. it feeds all the 12volt stuff in the truck including the brake switch for the speed controll on the master. that could cause a ground to float but I still see that as unlikly. I would look at app% app1, app2, app3 and check that as well

Afternoon Cheezit,

My boss would like clarification on the "app%" listed above. In your opinion would the cam position sensor cause the problem we are having. Replacing it seemed to solve kimry's problem. My boss informed me that the cam sensor was replace on this truck about 2 yrs ago. It was replaced on the advice that it was causing the truck to almost die and then catch itself, then almost die, etc. After replacing tthe sensor the initial problem was not corrected. He didn't remember what did fix the first problem though.

For our new problem I can push on the throttle and let off and the truck will not die. UNTIL, I rev it up to about 2800 then let off. The rpms will fall below the 750 mark and the truck dies. But, it will also die if I stand on the brake at idle, shift from P to R or D, or back to P, braking at a stop light, etc. It is almost random. Sometimes none of the above will kill it. But the rev to 2800 and let off is a sure bet.
This is how we all feel right now!!

Thanks,
David

Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Quality Equip Design
Greeting to all,

I have a 2005 (made 10-04) F350 PSSD. It is having the same dying problems that kimryward is having. I have checked the FICM harness, the harness around the pedals, the pass thru harness, checked for fault codes and bad sensors and nothing has helped.

I would like to know if kimryward has solved his problem? I welcome any input or suggestions for this issue. I am leaning toward the STC/HPOP from everthing I have read on this forum. I just really hope it is something else. I don't mind doing the work, I just would rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks
Do you have adjustable pedals?? I heard today that there are chaffing issues with the wiring harnes on those models behind the pedals I believe.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
apprentice guy
Freshman User
Hey guys i know this is a very old tread.i was looking at this tread.i have the same problem with a 05 f350 v10 built in 11/04.truck runs good in the day time.as soon as it gets 40-50 degrees.when i press on the brake pedal it stall.would like to know what u found out.i have the adjustable break pedal.thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Bluestroke2004
New User
Does engine die also if you turn the steering from lock to lock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: push throttle/push brakes it stalls..PLEASE HELP!