Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
New User

flairland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer Running Lights Dont Work

Hey guys, my trailer running lights have not been working for a while now on my 2001 F250 Diesel. I looked at the fuses under the hood and none seem to be blown. Any other places I should look? The problem started when the lights would sometimes work, and sometimes not, then one day they didnt work at all anymore. Please help!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
There are two fuses for trailer lights. One is called Trailer (I think) and the other is something like Trailer Relay. They're in the owners manual (if you still have it).

That being said, I've had the same problem in the past; blew both fuses, replaced them both... then, with good fuses, still had no running lights on the trailer.
Good Luck man.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
New User

Thanks. I looked at the fuses and swapped some relays around to see if that would work, still nothing. I dont have the owners manual but looked online at the fuse diagrams, but didn't help much. What did you end up doing to get them to work?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
You didn't mention, so have you checked for power at the trailer plug? If the lights were working periodically, it sounds like a connector problem. Maybe corrosion or a broken wire?

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
yeah, def check for power at the connector.

Me, I just trailered during the day. I also think my issue may have been specific to the trailer... (I hope)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Freshman User

kparret is starting off with a positive reputation.
Typically trailer light problems can be traced to a ground issue. You didn't mention if it was a 4-wire or 6 setup, but regardless there is a ground wire on both sides (vehicle and trailer). I'd start by checking the ground wire where it terminates on the trailer and make sure it isn't broken or corroded.
You can also try running a separate wire from a good trailer grounding point (no paint or corrosion - metal only) to a like point on the tow vehicle and see if that doesn't lighten things up

EDIT: Here's a good site that might help you out:
etrailer.com | Trailer Wiring Diagrams
Old 05-01-2010, 02:59 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
The usual culprit is the ground connection at the trailer frame.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 PM
New User

Thanks for the advice guys. I havent had a chance to dig any more yet, but I do know its not the trailer because I hooked it up to my friends truck and everything work.. so its something on my end, unfortunately. And yes, its a 6 way plug.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Junior User

bobmiers is starting off with a positive reputation.
2 years ago I had a similar problem with my 2000 F250. Finally traced the problem to a corroded connector about 18 inches back from the trailer plug (up near the spare tire). Cleaned it and all worked OK. As a suggestion, check that out first... I spent a bit of time tracing power from the front of the truck - my running light relay is almost beyond reach behind and below the radio. Not easy to get to.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by flairland View Post
I do know its not the trailer because I hooked it up to my friends truck and everything work.
Well.... you're half-way done then! Keep us posted.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 AM