Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Junior User

kylebryan is starting off with a positive reputation.
3.5 or 5 grams?

Ive seen several tutorial videos on using the numbers you get off your titration and i am a litle confused. Some say to add 5g to the number you got off your titration test and some say use 3.5g? Im using NAOH and i need official word. Also i have made 3 one liter batches in the past couple days and they are all coming out very thick with a solid mass in the bottoms of the bottle after seperation. Whats going on?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I don't use NaOH, seems most people on this forum use KOH. hope someone can help you out.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
The 3.5 data is from the "Journey to Forever" site, and is waaaaay outdated. If using NAOH you need 5 gms + titration.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Junior User

kylebryan is starting off with a positive reputation.
what are the advantages of using KOH?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Using NAOH produces a solid glycerol that can be a problem, and the glycerol is toxic to plants and animals. KOH produces a liquid glycerol that is easier to handle and dispose of. I use my KOH based glycerol for fertilizer and as a dust suppressant for gravel roads. KOH based glycerol can also be used as an additive in animal feeds.

It does take a little more KOH than NAOH though, but I prefer using it over NAOH. The base amount for KOH is 7 for 100%. I use 90% which requires 7.9 as a base amount.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
The base amount for KOH is 7 for 100%. I use 90% which requires 7.9 as a base amount.
Always something new to keep up on. I had been using 5.5 g from the old data. Will try maybe 7.7 g? The KOH I use is supposedly around 92%. Sound about right?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM

By using 7.7 gms instead of 5.5 you should see faster reaction times, and settling times should be shorter also.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Postmaster

Will try it next batch. I leave it to settle overnight. Do use the 80/20 method or all at the same time? thanks again. (Sorry to steal the thread Kyle)
Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Never needed the 80/20 method. All at once works for me......

Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
55g, 77g, biodiesel, bottle, forever, journey, koh, titration