2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My overkill journey to sound deaden and proof a 05 F150 which is taken to the extreme

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Silent,
If you can do us (me) a favor, could you comment on where is the biggest bang for the buck in terms of noise reduction after you test things out?

I was also in pursuit of quiet, but didn't want to go to the extreme of dynamating the entire truck.

I plugged up the 2 air vents on the back wall with a rag and found it quieted things down noticeably, but my ears popped every time I slammed the door shut. I wonder if that's why I seem to have air noise from the top edge of the windshield now when driving at freeway speeds as I'm sure the windshield was being blown outwards every time the door shut.

I ultimately took the rags out so I can have stale air exit the cabin with the windows up.. As a result, there's quite a bit of noise coming out the seatbelt holes and behind the rear seats

The doors and maybe door seals seem to be the next place where noise is coming in. Not sure how to deal with that. I think there's noise coming through the speakers since the only thing between the speakers and the inside is the outer skin of the door.

I've thought about adding a 2nd line of door gasket along the outer edges of the door to make a better noise seal, but these experiments are still on my to-do list.

Anyways, any suggestions/recommendations for a silent-wanna-be would be welcome

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
djanzen
Elder User

Any pictures recently? What is the progress and if you are done what are the results?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by djanzen
Any pictures recently? What is the progress and if you are done what are the results?
I was wondering the same thing. then I got worried maybe he didn't(couldn't) get all back together. Hope that isn't the case. Let us know.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 AM
05 F150silent inside
New User
No, I've been really busy working and have not had very much extra time. However, I'll post a few new pics, of the progress I have been able to make, in the next couple of days. I'm dying to finally enjoy the fruits of my labor. There's just a lot of labor left, before any fruit can be bared. Tomorrow, I'm going to start recovering my dash and all of my interior trim. That way, when it's able to be reinstalled, it'll be ready to rock and roll. I'm stoked to see how the black leather and charcoal suede will look, instead of the ugly *** plastic. You guys should be getting a steady diet of pictures, this next month.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
djanzen
Elder User

sounds good!
I have started to do my SD this week. some vibration damper on the doors, then a 1/8 1lb per sq ft mass loaded vinyl with a 1/8 closed cell decoupler then another layer of closed cell foam on the inside of the door. I have done the rear doors so far. there is a slight reduction in road noise from behind the driver, hope it is going to pay off in the long run.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 PM
05 F150silent inside
New User
Originally Posted by djanzen
There is a slight reduction in road noise from behind the driver, hope it is going to pay off in the long run.
If your floor isn't done, that is some of the reason. If it is done, clog and barrier over your cabin pressure vents, behind your backseat. That's where you'll notice the biggest difference in road noise. Before you commit 100% to it, try it, then take your truck for a drive. If you're not convinced, then simply remove it. It's kind of hard to get rid of road noise, when you have two 3"x7"ish holes near and above the exhaust. Sound will always find the easiest and weakest path to penetrate. That's why EVERYTHING needs to sealed and have equal coverage, with extra attention payed to the problematic areas. That's why I went to the extent I did. I didn't see any point in spending all that money and skipping the firewall. To me, it's the most important place to soundproof because the engine is only inches away and the front tires are right there. With my big mudders howling down the highway, I couldn't see another way to eliminate that noise. Along with, my system will sound that much better, not having to compete with all the exterior noises. If I can eliminate 3db or road noise, my stereo will sound the same at half volume as it did at full volume, before. If you think about it in those terms, that's a significant difference. Also, it's important to fill every cavity, in your truck, with foam or cotton insulation.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
nnero
Elder User
Doesn't closing the cabin pressure vents cause problems like the doors not closing right? You have to be able to release pressure in the cab somehow.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 PM
05 F150silent inside
New User
Originally Posted by nnero
Doesn't closing the cabin pressure vents cause problems like the doors not closing right? You have to be able to release pressure in the cab somehow.
The doors still close just fine. Sure you might not be able to give it the girly, flick of the wrest, shut anymore, but a manly push does the trick every time. It's not like the cabin is completely air tight anyways. In theory it sounds problematic, but the reality of it is, it's a mute point.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be curious to see pictures and...what would be really sweet is decibel readings from before and after. It's a little late for the before but maybe not the after if you could somehow get a hold of a decibel meter.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 AM
05 F150silent inside
New User
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
I'd be curious to see pictures and...what would be really sweet is decibel readings from before and after. It's a little late for the before but maybe not the after if you could somehow get a hold of a decibel meter.
I'll gladly do that when I'm finished. I wish I'd have thought about that before I started this craziness. Then I'd have a definitive, before and after. It'd be a hell of a lot more then only a 3db difference, though!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that would be really awesome. I thought I might be able to find the stock decibel levels at cruising and idle but I've looked for the past 10mins with no luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
2006F150DIED
New User
You are crazy, but it is some awesome pictures! Hopefully your OCD won't get the best of you on this one. That is alot of stuff to put back together.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
05 F150silent inside
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by 2006F150DIED
You are crazy, but it is some awesome pictures! Hopefully your OCD won't get the best of you on this one. That is alot of stuff to put back together.

It will be no problem at all, to put back together because it's just some good trick photography.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
I've been wondering about this thread lately. I was curious how it ended up. I wondered if it all went back together. You out there silent?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
noise

With a super sound system, you wouldnt hear any outside noise anyhow. That is why we live in this country, you're free to do most anything you want if its legal.

Quick Reply: My overkill journey to sound deaden and proof a 05 F150 which is taken to the extreme