Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone using Duratracs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone using Duratracs?

Wondering how many replies I'm going to get thinking I'm talking about the Chevy maxipad...Err... Duramax. Anyway, I am looking to get a set of tires, again and really like the Goodyear Duratracs in a 285, but am hesitant due to it being a new tire. Anyone with a heavier truck ruuning these? I will be mounting tires on this saturday 1-May so it is either the Duratracs or Silent Armors (which I can't get to last over 25,000 miles anyway)...

Appreciate the help!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id say dont get the silent armors. Not worth the money and arent that good in snow or mud. Duratracs or bfg a/t ko's is where its at. I have bfg a/t's on my f250 psd n theyre great in the snow but since theyre 265 they suck in the mud. My buddy has a 06 f350 6.0psd cc long bed and has 275 Duratracs and theyre BEAST. Hes a landscaper and fills his bed up every day with atleat 3000 pounds of grass so his truck weights total is well about 10500 pounds and where we dump r grass you gotta get a lil mud on ur tires. He decided to take the ''shorter" route which was a foot and a half of deep, thick, compost mud and made it through that and up a little ledge. He was stuck for a sec bc the ledge stopped him and made him sink but somehow those Duratracs started flingin that mud and got him and his 3k worth of grass out of the mess n to the dumpin spot. I wanna sell my 265 BFG a/t ko's, if ne ones interested lemme no, 3k miles on them, and id like to get 285 Duratracs. He had them in the snow too and they were awesome. Id highly suggest getting the Duratracs, you'll be thanking us soon.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:30 AM
camodown
Posting Guru
I appreciate the response! I have used Silent armors as my last two sets, the first lasting less than 20,000 miles, this set going over 20,000. Still FAR less than their "50,000 mile" guarantee. Nonetheless, I am not happy. These sure don't work in the mud at all either as they clog up and turn to slicks. Took me hitting the rev limiter to get out of a ditch 5 hrs later. The silent armors have their place, just not the mud. I will post up some pictures when the Dark Horse gets some new shoes. I am going to try and get them tomorrow as I am off work; we will see .

Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
at work we used our first set of wrangler duratracs about a year ago and they are the only tine we use now.
As far as handleing a load goes they are great,we use them on a srw utility truck that tows a mini excavatxor everyday with great stability.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I have Duratracs but only 1K on them so far. They are a bit noisy in the size I have but not to bad. They really look like a mud tire,just so you know

Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 PM
firestroker8706
Senior User
I've been driving on these things for a few months now(about 5,000 miles) and let me tell ya, these tires are unstoppable. I lived in the mountains of colorado when I bought them and I couldn't find a snow drift they wouldn't eat up. I've been mudding in them, and I've been over a sand dune or two in them. They are SO worth the money. A bit noisy, especially in the size I have, but I have no real complaints at all.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Well, I went ahead and got me some Duratracs and let me say I have never liked a set of tires as much as these. Not noisy at all, agressive enough not to get me stuck (so far), and have a lot of tread depth. Here are some pics... Thanks for the help in deciding too!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Just saw this post and I have to agree that these tires are awesome so far. Load range "E" in a 315 plus quiet on the highway.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
rpenterics
Senior User
What size did you end up going with? I'm looking at ordering a set of 315/75R16's in the next day or so, looks like they are gonna run around $1,007 w/ shipping from tirerack.com - Did you find a better deal??

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
I ended up paying just a bit over $1,000 with installation, as well as warranty on all 4 tires. The ones I got are 285/75/16. The 265's looked too small. If they last 20,000 miles I will be happy because I can't get any tire to last over that anyway.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Originally Posted by rpenterics
What size did you end up going with? I'm looking at ordering a set of 315/75R16's in the next day or so, looks like they are gonna run around $1,007 w/ shipping from tirerack.com - Did you find a better deal??

Thats where i got mine from right at about that price. Got 'em in 4 days.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
tigwelder
Senior User
i just priced a set for my truck 325/65/18
$1300 installed with road hazard.
but that is bacause i work for goodyear, i wish i was closer to some of you guys i could get the employee discount for you.if i were with you when they were payed for.
i have pirelli scorpions 325/65/18 now. they or great on the road. i drive in alot of fields and pastures on farm land. i lease 100 acres and me and the boys or out there all the time.
but they or not a mud tire i have to watch where im at and take the tractor or 4 wheeler in the bad spots.
i have a 10000 lb winch laying on my shop floor in the unopened box.
i need to run the wire to the front and back so i can use the reciever hook ups.
i think i can last the year on the tires i have now .
i looked at the duratrac and the MTR's with kevlar.
the mtr is an LT tire with a stiff side wall.
do the duratrac's ride stable.
the scorpion's or an LT and or solid even on a heavy truck.
this is my first 3/4 ton and the tires that were on it when i bought it.
i guess what im asking is,
is it worth the extra money to get the MTR's because they or LT .
or does the duratrac feel good under the truck.

Last edited by tigwelder; 05-03-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: double print
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Well, I love how these tires handle. You have to remember though, with any tire, while the number of plys in the sidewall help determine the handling, the rim width to tire section width also plays a role. Moreover though, the larger the void space between the tread blocks, the more the tire will 'squirm' around until they have worn a bit and everything is broken in. To answer your question though, the MT/R pre kevlar version had a fairly soft compound, and while it may be well suited wear wise for a lighter truck, these heavy trucks would eat through them from what I have seen. Additionally, the lack of siping on the tread blocks on any mud tire decrease traction in less than favorable conditions. The Duratrac is more of a mix between mud tire and all terrain, geared more for agressive traction than highway mileage or life. They give a generous amount of tread no doubt though. I will be upgrading all of our trucks to these when their tires wear out, unless I get less than 20,000 miles out of them if that says anything.

Oh, and be careful with the tractor taking it into soggy areas. Even though ours is 4wd, if it gets stuck, you are in big trouble haha. Not that that has ever happened

Old 05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
tigwelder
Senior User
i have used the frontend loader on the tractor to push myself out more than i would like.
the duratrac comes in the size i have now 325/65/18 and the MTR does not.
but i was looking and if i change out rim size to a 16 or 17 inch i can save alot.
i found some black 16'' rims online for around $105 and i can get a 16'' duratrac the same tall 35'' for about $75 less than an 18'' tire.
so i could save money every tire change there after and get new rims i want.
im tired of waxing my chrome ones now.lol
but i have alot of tread left on mine so i have a while to think about it.
thanks for the job security buying goodyear. lol im a welder in there texas plant. we make 80 lb bales of rubber.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Hey no problem. I buy U.S. goods and will go out of my way to do that. If a product is imported, I usually don't buy it unless there is no alternative. Let us see pics when you end up with tires! Oh, and you may be getting stuck because those pirelli tires haha just kidding

Quick Reply: Anyone using Duratracs?