Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
New User

khardrunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 f150 won't go into gear

On the way to the school where I teach this morning it seemed a little tough to get the truck into gear. When I put it into reverse to back into my space it made a grinding sound.Needless to say it's still parked there and I can't get it into gear. Clutch action seems to be lighter than usual so I'm thinking a clutch issue. I thought the clutch was fairly new when I bought the truck, but did I just lose my clutch?1995 F150 300 ci m5od tranny
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
First thing to do is check the fluid level in the clutch resevoir. If low on fluid look under the truck for any fluid leaks.
If the fluid level is low then try topping it up with brake fluid and pump the pedal and see if that helps.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
New User

khardrunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got the truck home by pumping the clutch several times (and doing that several times throughout the drive home).

There wasn't any fluid under the truck other than the normal couple of drips of oil.

The fluid resivoir was at about 2 inches below the very top of the resivoir (it's not supposed to be filled up to the top but I don't remember how high it's supposed to be).

I didn't see any leaks at all

Slave cylinder is toast??
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
If no fluid leaks under the truck it is very unlikely to be a bad slave cyl. More likely a bad master cyl., have a look at the firewall under the dash for a fluid leak where the clutch pedal rod goes through.
If you do replace the master cyl make sure you follow the instructions with the new one and bench bleed it.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.
LazyK x2... make sure you take a good look around the firewall some leaks can be tricky to spot especuially when they are not dripping on the ground for you. do you know when the last clutch was put in (record or reciept)? It's possible the slave could be bad but anyone worth their mechanicle grit should have known to replace the slave...

Did I say somthing GOOD? Click MY HEART!
Nathan - FTE Iowa Chapter
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior User

fordmanbrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
More than likely you've lost the slave cylinder, unless you are so lucky that its the master cylinder or an external leak. My slave went at 75K miles, as did a number of other people I know at about the same mileage. Its now leaking just a little bit at 185K miles.

There is a little groove in the master cylinder, about 1/2" down from the top, that indicates full. If the slave is leaking, it will be running out of the bell housing.

As you probably figured, its not a fun job to replace the slave cyl.

'85 Ranger, '88 TBird, '89 F150 XLT 4X2 - All Sold
1993 F150 XLT 4X4 302 5 speed - Beautiful truck!
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 V8
2010 F250 XLT 4x4 5.4 Last of the 6 speed sticks!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
95, 97, clutch, f150, f250, fluid, gear, go, kick, low, park, shift, spd, truck, wont