6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Reflash and programmer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Reflash and programmer problems

Hello,

I posted a while ago about cold start issues and reflashing with the current FORD flash. I wanted to obtain the newest flash to see if it would cure my woes before I make the jump to synthetic since my current oil changes are free using DELO 15w40.....anyway....I run an old school Superchips 1704 that has treated me right since day one. My question:

Once FORD reflashes my rig will my Superchips programmer still interface with my truck or am I going to have to have Superchips reprogram it or buy a new programmer (I 've been wanting to buy an SCT with an EGR strategy removed from the programming since I have an EGR delete)?

Thanks for the help
Joe

Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Good question. I'd just give Superchips a call and see. I know my old Predator wouldn't support the newer Ford flashes after 05 I believe it was, but it makes a great code scanner.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
Hello,

I posted a while ago about cold start issues and reflashing with the current FORD flash. I wanted to obtain the newest flash to see if it would cure my woes before I make the jump to synthetic since my current oil changes are free using DELO 15w40.....anyway....I run an old school Superchips 1704 that has treated me right since day one. My question:

Once FORD reflashes my rig will my Superchips programmer still interface with my truck or am I going to have to have Superchips reprogram it or buy a new programmer (I 've been wanting to buy an SCT with an EGR strategy removed from the programming since I have an EGR delete)?

Thanks for the help
Joe
It may or may not. Some programmers can be updated others cannot. I had an Edge Juice with Attitude and a old version of PCM software. I asked Edge the same ? when I was considering getting the latest flash and they said it may or may not. So I stuck with what I had for PCM software and in January I got rid of the Juice and got a SCT X3 with custom tunes written to work with my specific PCM software. I'm a happy camper.

DSMMH

Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I recall someone posting that after a reflash from FORD it rendered their Superchips inoperable. I have been wanting to upgrade to an SCT with custom tunes for a while and it looks like I may have to anyway since my FCDP egr delete retained the egr for visual aesthetics but still throws a constant CEL due to it still being in the programming.

I just want to make sure that the current flash that I have been reading about is not going to kill my FICM....is this still the case?

Thank you for your help
Joe

Old 04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall someone posting that after a reflash from FORD it rendered their Superchips inoperable. I have been wanting to upgrade to an SCT with custom tunes for a while and it looks like I may have to anyway since my FCDP egr delete retained the egr for visual aesthetics but still throws a constant CEL due to it still being in the programming.

I just want to make sure that the current flash that I have been reading about is not going to kill my FICM....is this still the case?

Thank you for your help
Joe
The early IDS version release of VXCF7 was considered the FICM killer...post shutdown buzz. I believe the VXCF9 will help you, although once you load the Superchips it temporarily overwrites your PCM strategy while storing your OEM on the device...making the new flash pointless. I'd say go with the new flash, but since you have the egr deleted sell the Superchips and pick up a Superchips Custom Tuner (SCT) and get custom tuning that not onlt tunes your PCM, but your TCM as well and clears up any CEL concerns with the egr delete.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Moyock,

As it stands, my tuner has the OEM flash stored in it's memory. What you are saying is that once I plug in the 1704 tuner (after the VXCF9 reflash) it will default the truck back to the originally stored stock program, therefore deleting the 100.00 new flash I have FORD install?

I think regardless of what is the cheaper way, I will be forced to purchase an SCT X3 with custom tunes. Im not sure when smogs are coming to CA but I hate looking at the CEL all day long. It will never go away until I have it removed from the PCM's memory.

Coincidentally, I have been away from the up to date board happenings and I know there is a favored programmer for the SCT X3 on this board.....who's programming should I go with?

Thanks for all the help!
Joe

Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moyock,

As it stands, my tuner has the OEM flash stored in it's memory. What you are saying is that once I plug in the 1704 tuner (after the VXCF9 reflash) it will default the truck back to the originally stored stock program, therefore deleting the 100.00 new flash I have FORD install?

I think regardless of what is the cheaper way, I will be forced to purchase an SCT X3 with custom tunes. Im not sure when smogs are coming to CA but I hate looking at the CEL all day long. It will never go away until I have it removed from the PCM's memory.

Coincidentally, I have been away from the up to date board happenings and I know there is a favored programmer for the SCT X3 on this board.....who's programming should I go with?

Thanks for all the help!
Joe
If you "Return to Stock" by loading the OEM strat back to the PCM, then get the reflash....when you load your Superchips programmer performance strat to your PCM, you will overwrite the new flash (VXCF9) and as before ..this new flash will store in the memory of the device...only problem is its not doing you any good there. A custom tune written by many of the SCT tune writers will basically write you a tune using the VXCF9 strategy code platform as a base with HP and tranny performance enhancements. A couple that come to mind that are very popular are Matt @ Gearhead Automotive Performance and Eric @ Innovative Diesel. Keep in mind, you want to tell them everything about your truck....mods (i.e. exhaust, egr delete, intake, etc...), daily use, do you tow, etc...That way you get the best custom tune that meets your needs.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Thank you very much for your help.