Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 AM
New User

daithi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mechanic for E350 Ambulance

Does anyone know of a good mechanic that works with ambulances (E350)? I have an old one I converted to run on used vegetable oil, but the engine won't start or cuts out. It feels like the diesel is not getting to the engine (nothing to do with the veggie oil line going into the engine). I've had it in a local shop in Laurel (between DC and Baltimore) several times, but they can't seem to fix it. Thanks for any mechanic tips!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Try contacting Shaun, fire240. He works evenings, so may not be on until late afternoon. He lived in/near Dundaulk. He may or may not be able to help you.

Has it been running on the veggie before - or was it just converted? What year is it? Is it a 7.3 - N/A or turbo?

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 AM
New User

daithi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, Bud. It is a 1989 Ford E350 with a 7.3. I had the veggie tank put in last year, when I bought it. It already had problems starting up, but it has gotten progressively worse.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
I would start with the glow plugs/module. I had a '92 that had a problem starting and it had 4 bad glow-plugs. Replaced them and no more problems.... If I remember correctly, they can be tested with an ohm-meter. Have you asked about this up in the 7.3 forum? Lots of experts there..... here's a link http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/

Here's alink to the glow plug troubleshooting section. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...le-system.html

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Posting Guru

racsantina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There used to be an AWESOME diesel mechanic at Crystal Ford in Silver Spring named Mike, and the service writer was Rich. I don't know if they're still there, but it is definitely worth calling over there to see. I was wracking up MAD miles on my 7.3 and was in there 2 or 3 times a month for basic services and Mike caught a few potential issues while they were very minor before they became major fixes. I know they work on ambulances and RVs

Life is measured in minutes, but it is judged by moments

DNA makes relatives, but LOVE makes families

The gas pedal is the one on the RIGHT!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
When was the last time you changed fuel filters?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi View Post
Does anyone know of a good mechanic that works with ambulances (E350)? I have an old one I converted to run on used vegetable oil, but the engine won't start or cuts out. It feels like the diesel is not getting to the engine (nothing to do with the veggie oil line going into the engine). I've had it in a local shop in Laurel (between DC and Baltimore) several times, but they can't seem to fix it. Thanks for any mechanic tips!
the bio diesel needs to be heated a bit 1st before it will combust properly. some people run a return line through the other tank, to pre heat the bio. after starting on the regular diesel, and heating the bio tank, then switch over. you will use a boat load of fuel filters on the bio,unless you filter it before putting it in the tank. most people run a 2nd set of filters before the filter that's on the engine. Bud is right about the glow plugs, that needs to be right before the engine will start. you need to also check for air leaks at the return lines, the orings get brittle over time, and create a air leak. hope this helps

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Posting Legend

,,,and here's the link to the sites bio/veggie forum.... Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter

Tags
1989, 1996, 73, ambulance, e350, econoline, ford, forum, information, literengine, md, mechanics, recall, trucks, v10