Biofuel for 7.3

Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
loren956
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biofuel for 7.3

I want to get my 1992 F-350 running on either Biodeisel or SVO. Im only 16 years old which means I dont know much about trucks, atleast not yet. also every bit of money is coming out of my own pocket, wich is pretty small. I have a non turbocharged 7.3 in it, its a crew cab? (4 full sized doors) longbed with a 4? inch lift and about 180,000 miles. Also, I live in deep South Texas (McAllen), so I dont have access to biodiesel stations (I didnt even know they had them until 10 minutes ago) or much else of that matter. Any help is greatly appreciated, gracias.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before you decide which way to go, whether biodiesel or svo, you'll need to secure a source/sources of waste oil.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

BTW, here's a link to a great forum for both svo and biodiesel. Volumes of information on everything pertaining to the subject.

Biodiesel & SVO Home

Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 AM
peruses
Elder User
go here Biofuels Library - Journey to Forever
do a lot of reading

then decide what you want to do

if I were 16 again I'd step away from the truck and get something smaller with cheaper parts to bust up learning how its done

Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 AM
peruses
Elder User
also might try this site
National Biodiesel Board - www.biodiesel.org - www.nbb.org
to find the nearest feuling station and try a tank of biodiesel befor you decide to make it yourself

sometimes a posting on craigslist will get you in touch with locals who are making feul

Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by peruses
do a lot of reading

then decide what you want to do

if I were 16 again I'd step away from the truck and get something smaller with cheaper parts to bust up learning how its done
I dunno about that... the powerstroke is an engine that a driveway mechanic can do a lot of service on. It is a fairly simple engine to understand. I think it is a good choice for a 16 year old.

However, the chemicals involved in making bio can be dangerous if mishandled. Have you had chemicstry class in high school? If so, you have been taught about handling dangerous chemicals.

Read this forum, everything you can. Ask lots of questions. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
srqdiesel chef
Senior User
[quote=kirkharrod;8824135]I dunno about that... the powerstroke is an engine that a driveway mechanic can do a lot of service on. It is a fairly simple engine to understand. I think it is a good choice for a 16 year old.

92 F350 na is going to be an IDI which is almost bulletproof and really simple to work on, parts are half the price of powersmoker. good luck and check out the IDI forum

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by peruses
do a lot of reading
With all due respect to you, peruses, I will caution those that read information from the Journey to Forever site, that much of the information is outdated. None of it is misleading by any means, and there is a ton of great information there. However, I don't think anyone has gone in and corrected/updated fairly critical information.

For instance, they list a base using KOH as 5.1g/litre (100% purity). At that quantity your fuel will be underreacted. Today it is fairly common knowledge that 7g/litre (100% purity) is the accepted base. (BTW, 90% purity is the most commonly available KOH around here, so I adjust to 7.7g/litre).

I think if JTF updated critical things such as this, it would be a great site. And it is a great site if you're just checking things out initially before you get started. But to get the latest in biodiesel and svo developements, check out the link I posted above.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM
loren956
New User
Ive already gotten to attached to the truck to get rid of it now, I just want some relief from high diesel prices, and to be a little more enviormentaly friendly. I dont think there are any biodiesel filling stations around where I live, so Im goingto have to learn how to make it. My chemistry teacher also has a Ford diesel and can perhaps help me with the chemicals, although shes trained us well in how to handle them. I just would like to know what needs to be done to my motor, and how to make the fuel, and out of what, gracias.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nothing needs to be done with your motor to run BioDiesel. It has a higher gel point than regular diesel, but that shouldn't be an issue for you. You need to get a source for waste vegetable oil and a place to set up shop though before commiting to building a processor.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Rushmore X
Nothing needs to be done with your motor to run BioDiesel. It has a higher gel point than regular diesel, but that shouldn't be an issue for you. You need to get a source for waste vegetable oil and a place to set up shop though before commiting to building a processor.
Are all of the fuel related components in a '92 7.3 B100 compatible? I thought that viton lined hoses, o-rings, etc., didn't arrive until the mid-90's.