1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TrueTrac VS Locker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another TrueTrac VS Locker Question

I was looking into buying some sort of differential for the rear end of my F350, and some time in the future, buying something for the front too, possibly an ARB or some kind of air locker. I need some people to chime in who have had experience with these things.

I do probably 70% on road driving, and 30% off road, I do some towing on the weekends and plowing in the winter.

What have you used?

How has it worked?

How much was it to install from a qualified professional?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
PM sawtooth, he has the truetrac..he likes it. I think he has a e-locker on the front.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a TruTrac in the back and it's great. Eventually I'd like an E-locker in the front, but they're spendy.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Another vote here for the TruTrac. Does what I need it to do.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, for routine use, I prefer TrueTrac in rear, selectable in the front. For 99% of us, 99.99% of the time, this is a nice compromise of ease and serious capability.

But if you like absolute personal control, then a selectable locker in rear as well.
Or if you have do drive on seriously slick ice on a side slope - where even an LSD can cause more side slip than you want. Then a full open (selectable off) can be nice to have.

But I will point out that just a selectable locker in the rear and an open in the front can be a seriously capable rig with a skilled driver! More capable than 99.99% of us need when offroading! That's what I had in my old Pathfinder... I never got stuck.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the $$$ and don't mind running air on your truck then go the arb route. The only weak link in the system is the air lines that can fail when needed.
At the time I was looking for something I didn't have the money to spend on the arb so I went with the true trac, and am happy with it.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:26 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by wallz
If you have the $$$ and don't mind running air on your truck then go the arb route. The only weak link in the system is the air lines that can fail when needed.
At the time I was looking for something I didn't have the money to spend on the arb so I went with the true trac, and am happy with it.

I do not have the money to spend on an ARB, but some day I would put one in the front.

For now though, all I need is something that moves both tires in the rear. I just don't think the LSD cuts it.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TruTrac, and later put an E-locker in the front, no need for air.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
skoveng
Senior User
Have ARB's front and rear in my '03 F250. 95% of my driving is on-road and you don't even know they are there. When needed for the other 5%, snow, off-road, etc. there is nothing better, locked-up like a spool.

Def. needed with a diesel as the low-end torque spins the tires with ease.

Added benefit of on-board air: air for tires (truck, quads, dirt bikes), air-horns, rear-air bags, etc.

Glad I spent the little extra. My $0.02

Can add photos of compressor and switches with my details if wanted.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
scootyg69
Junior User
skoveng, definitely some more info in the compressor/switches pics department.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
skoveng
Senior User
I am attaching photos of the compressor and switch location along with an auxiliary air tank photo (good for my air horns and allowes inflation of tires without the air compressor always running.

My '03 6.0L diesel had a great location just behind the power steering resevoir for mounting of the compressor. I used four small studded isolator mounts to mount the compressor. It works great and no residiual vibration.

The ARB set-up comes with three switches: Air-Compressor, Front Locker, Rear Locker. You will notice that I did not use the air-compressor switch supplied with the ARB set-up. I did this for two reasons; (1) I like the cleaner look of less "non-factory" items (I have a manual 4x4 shifter so I had a good spot for the switches). (2) The driving habits of the truck really change when the rears are locked, espicially the front! For this reason, I placed a toggle swith for the compressor, which needs to be turned-on before power is supplied to the locker engagement switchs, under the dash.

I did this because my wife will occasionally drive the truck and I don't want her to mess with the switches for the lockers. Also, when I take the truck in for State Inspection, I don't want the mechanic messing with them either. With the air-compressor toggle switch off, they can play with the locker switches a day long and nothing will happen.

Compressor Location:

Switch Location:

Aux. Tank:

If you deceided to go the ARB route, let me know and I'll share a trick wiring set-up I used for delay of the compressor during start-up (good for cold winter starts).

Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I vote TrueTrac I have the ARB airlock system installed in my F350 dual, I wish I had done more research it's great for climbed into job sites but terrible on the open road above 30 mph with both wheels locked the system is a regular open differential until you lock it and you have to be standing still no movement so when you're driving on snow covered roads my limited slip original was better than what I have now the only advantage in deep mud & snow the ARB wins but 80% of the time driving I wish I had a TrueTrac just my two cents. My mechanic who is a family friend installed it I have the ARB compressor and all components when I can post pictures I will post a few of how he installed it, close to $1600 parts and labor. just remember a lock differential is the last thing you want on the highway when you hit slush and ice it Fish tales in one second trust me I found out a few trips through Vermont this past winter ;-)

Old 04-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Having a locker in the back isn't that bad for daily driving. I have one in my 250 and ranger, went with the powertrax lock rite and the no-slip. They are pretty easy to install yourself. Should be ok unless you plan to get pretty big tires or lots of extra power add ons.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
skoveng
Senior User
radium, good comments. I have had TruTrack's and Detroit Locker's in the past on other Fords I've owned and for where and how I drive today the ARB was the best selection for me.

A note however, you can engage the ARB while moving similar to how you can engage/disengage four wheel drive with a manual shifter (hubs locked) on the move; you have just ease off the pedal and be traveling straight. I've done it many times (not at highway speeds however, usually under 30mph).

You are absolutly right-on with your comments on hitting ice or slush at highway speeds with any rear locker device; you can make a bad situation worse. Knowing the possible conditions ahead, I will lock the front hubs and NOT engage the ARB's. If things get spuirrely I ease off the pedal and push the level forward to put it in 4wd.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
anyone plow with the truetrac in the rear and ARB in the front?

Quick Reply: Another TrueTrac VS Locker Question