1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bought engine should i rebuild?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM
wheelie31
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought engine should i rebuild?

Hey guys, i picked up a 95 powerstroke engine last friday on Craigslist for 300.00 Guy said he bought 2 trucks to make one and kept the engine with the lower miles and just pulled this one and was an extra, Said the engine had 240k, came with everything except a couple sensors, has turbo injectors wiring harness starter ect, I wanna build up another motor in my free time and i know im gonna do new hp oil pump and oil pan and diy injectors water pump fuel pump ll that stuff BUT i have no idea if i should do any internal stuff like pistons and rings and head gaskets, I doubt i can do a compression test with the motor out so theres no way to tell whats good or not, Any help would be great.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Bumping this for ya.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
If its an extra engine just sitting around, why not? I would! Like everyone here will tell you, its about maintenance prior to you getting it. Its fair mileage, but if it hasnt been taken care of, that may be something to be concerned about!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Jacksfirstdiesel
Senior User
you might be able to do a leak down test instead of a compression test to help you decide on rings and valves. I haven't done one but I think the concept is straightforward. Now remember I'm just writing my thoughts down so please do some research. I'd think by putting each piston all the way down and filling up the cylinder with compressed air thru the glow plug hole and then valving off with a pressure gage attahced and left it overnight making dang sure your fittings are good and air tight you could have numbers to compare. I would think that any 1 or 2 cylinders down by 10-20% or so would get me to start thinking about looking for internal parts. How many miles on it?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 PM
wheelie31
Senior User
thanks for the bump, its got 240k on it, but while its out of the truck i wanna make sure to go over everything so i know i wont have any future problems, With the pistons and rings i was just gonna get the standrd size so i wouldnt have to get it bored out, Should i just do rings and leave the stock pistons? What about valve springs and push rods?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
If you don't have to pull the heads I would leave them on. The stock head gaskets on these motors seal really good. Definately do head studs though (one at a time).

As long as the compression and leak down tests are good I would leave it alone.

I'd say head studs, new rockers, Comp 910-16 valve springs, Diesel Innovations Chromoly pushrods, new glowplugs, maybe new UVCH wiring if it needs it, upgrade injectors to whatever size you want, HPOP, depending on what turbo you want maybe the bigger 3" intake plenums...

plus the usual mods. That enough stuff to work on for now? haha

Search this Thread