1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another Darkside deal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And then there's the rest of the story...

I understand the dilemma with not wanting a two piece bell housing, ( I assume you are meaning the adapter used with the M5R2), but it seems to me that it would be a lot simpler that all that other stuff with the chevy clutch stuff.

I think the position of the shifter would be an issue unless you are using bucket seats because I am pretty sure the bench seat won't work with it. You do know that the hydraulic clutch system is built in concentric to the input shaft of the tranny, right? If you are still using through the floor pedals, there would be modifications to make. Simplest would be to get the hydraulic clutch master from a bone yard. I had to get the dual pedal set up from a Ranger because the Explorer fire wall I'm using was set up for an automatic. Bracket, pedals and Clutch master cylinder with line and connector that snaps right into the side of the M5R2 was only $12.00 at Pull-A-Part. However, if you have to go and take one out like you do at Pull-A-Part, be prepared for about an hour's work at least. You have to pull the instrument panel, the steering column, the brake booster and master cylinder before you can actually get to what you want. Then it's a matter of standing on your head and cussing a lot as the two top bolt studs are a real pain. Figure on using a deep well 1/4" socket set with a really long extension. But, the left side top bolt is not accessible with the socket. You have to use a gear wrench and you can only swing it about two or three clicks at a time. If the complete dash were out this would be easy but doing that means another hour's work BTW, it's all metric but a 1/2" will fit tight on it if you don't have the metric deep well socket. The one I harvested the parts from already had the engine and tranny pulled so the outside the cab part was really easy. The last guy even had the courtesy not to hack off the hydraulic clutch line. He actually correctly pulled the connector. I guess he was smarter and more courteous than the average scavenger.

At this point I have not decided on a price for the SC tranny. Before I take the SC apart I am going to unload it from the enclosed trailer and take it on a little one mile run down our dead end road and back. I will put the tranny and clutch through a little test. If it shifts really well and the shifter linkage is not all sloppy that will determine the price I ask for it. I'm not looking to rip anybody off but I have noticed these things aren't cheap. At this point I am thinking probably $200.00 to $250.00. That may include the front end of the drive shaft or at least the part that splines into the tail shaft housing. I am planning on using the SC's complete rear independent suspension including the fixed position differential. in my '53 so I will probably be using at lest part of the drive shaft. Of course it could be that a Ranger or Explorer drive shaft will work without modification. That will have to be worked out when I get to that point.

Right now it looks as though the SC will be coming apart in about two months as I don't have the space or the in shop time to be doing it now. So, the tranny won't be available at least for two months.

Later Man...

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
if it sits that far back dave yep i can't use it . still got a bench seat and will forever as i don't think the grandkids would like only 1 at a time with me . they make an adaptor that fj has , to retain my 1 peice , but it's like 250 bucks and i got my toy fund kinda decimated right now with the purchase of that 52 . it could be made by someone easily enough , but i don't have access to all the equipment or the knowledge to run them . the chevy clutch is due to the spline count being different on the input shafts from the flatty too the chevy . as we stand right now if i get some time and the bits and peices i was after prior to another old ford beckoning to me , i'm just staying with the t-98 and be happy till later . even gonna rebuild the drums instead of pushing ahead with my homemade discs till the funds come back onlie , or get put off by another oldie ..... LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
if it sits that far back dave yep i can't use it . still got a bench seat and will forever as i don't think the grandkids would like only 1 at a time with me

as we stand right now if i get some time and the bits and peices i was after prior to another old ford beckoning to me , i'm just staying with the t-98 and be happy till later . even gonna rebuild the drums instead of pushing ahead with my homemade discs till the funds come back onlie , or get put off by another oldie ..... LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's cool...

I, figure I can move it on the Craigslist or locally when the time comes. I was just giving you a heads up on it. So what are you going to do with another yard bird???
I am dangerously teetering on my domestic tranquility limit here. I almost bought a '92 Cougar with the HO 5.0L. that might have caused a serious disturbance in the Force.

Later Man...

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
this one i'm getting away with as she say's it's her's ..... LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!but there's always the NEXT ONE ...............

Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
this one i'm getting away with as she say's it's her's ..... LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!but there's always the NEXT ONE ...............
Yeah, I use that ploy too. I told her the second '53 was hers. I do intend it that way but I doubt I'll live long enough to do it. Of course I always say any donor that comes in has stuff in it I need for her ride. Her suspicions are probably otherwise but intent is a hard thing prove for or against. She hasn't made any comment about my not living long enough. I do have the second Explorer dash for it now as well as the fully automatic electronic 4WD drive train. If I ever get started on it I think it would be a lott faster because I will know what to do. Oh darn... I forgot that I could have said that Cougar was for her IRS. Dang, I can't believe I missed that one.

Later Man...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep , then of course after you pull the irs for HER 53 what to do with that 5.0 ????????????? can anyone here help answer that ????????? would the proper response be .... FIND ANOTHER TRUCK TO PUT IT IN !!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean you can't let a perfectly good 5.0 go to waste sitting unused right ???? what was that you said about a sunbeam tiger ?? hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm .......

Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
yep , then of course after you pull the irs for HER 53 what to do with that 5.0 ????????????? can anyone here help answer that ????????? would the proper response be .... FIND ANOTHER TRUCK TO PUT IT IN !!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean you can't let a perfectly good 5.0 go to waste sitting unused right ???? what was that you said about a sunbeam tiger ?? hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm .......
And the beat goes on...............................

Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
what can i say , were addicts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing like the smell of grease , fuel and burning rubber to wake you up in the morning , or get high on !!!!!!!!!!!! gotta go back to work now and make more green stuff to support the ever growing addiction ...............................