1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another Darkside deal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the tranny out of a f150 i think has the shifter forward some , if that helps , and it as i said if for a 300 or 302 is a bolt in !!!!!!!!!!!!! just a not , and w/ the gear changes and higher profile you wont do it but i just averaged 33.7 in my 4.6 bird , the 95 . so you should still do good an mileage . is the explorer a 7.5 or 8.8 diff ??? same for the sc ? if they're both a 7.5 or 8.8 swap the gears away if not you'll have to locate some ............. i just like delving into stuff dave .... got notebooks full fo stuff i had / have planned , although i'll most likely never get them done . i just like to see things that aren't supposed to be or can't be done , DONE !!!!!!! p.s that sc stuff is kinda sought after by the bird guys , even i am looking for all the clutch stuff to do a conversion , but only half hearted as i got too much to do now . 'member the mid 90's 1/2 ton light duty 5 speed is the same other than gearing and shifter placement !!!!!!!!!it bolts in , period no muss no fuss !

Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
oh and for you that don't know .... the 3.8 is infamous { and do i ever know personally !!!!!!} for eating head gaskets , warping heads , basically killing itself . the 3.8 in the sc is the same motor but with much thicker decks , on the block and heads , better flowing heads i'm told , and i think the bottom end might have been a little beefier . they run like stink , and unlike it's pedestrian lil' bro in everything else they seem to hold together quite well and under immense boost and horsepower situations !!!!!!!! oh and lets not forget that purty bobble called a supercharger on it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
oh and for you that don't know .... the 3.8 is infamous { and do i ever know personally !!!!!!} for eating head gaskets , warping heads , basically killing itself . the 3.8 in the sc is the same motor but with much thicker decks , on the block and heads , better flowing heads i'm told , and i think the bottom end might have been a little beefier . they run like stink , and unlike it's pedestrian lil' bro in everything else they seem to hold together quite well and under immense boost and horsepower situations !!!!!!!! oh and lets not forget that purty bobble called a supercharger on it !!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm, now if I could just get it into a Sunbeam Tiger....

Better still, If I could just find a Sunbeam Tiger....

Oh, BTW, where is the best place to learn everything I need to know about the SC 3.8 and what's out there to make it better???

Later Man...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
This is the place where I got the shifter. There might be other stuff of interest. Super Coupe Performance Parts - Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Mark VIII (8) and Ford Escape Steve

Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Thanks

Originally Posted by polarspeed
This is the place where I got the shifter. There might be other stuff of interest. Super Coupe Performance Parts - Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Mark VIII (8) and Ford Escape Steve
Thanks Steve

Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
OK, now I think I see the light here...

Back Again....
I found these pictures which pretty much explain the differences.

This is the SC version

The 2WD version

The 4WD version...

And it looks to me as though the top loader and the transfer case from the 4WD version will fit the SC 2WD version. Unless I'm really missing something here, that should be all there is to this. Now I need to look for the right Ford F-150s in the bone yards.

Thanks guys, you helped me get here.

Later...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
output shaft length is different.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by havi
output shaft length is different.
Yeah, I noticed that too... Probably just end up looking for a tranny from an F-150 in the right years. I ought to be able to sell the SC tranny for a few bucks. Maybe I can find a whole donor vehicle and pedal off what I don't want.

Later Man...

Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
that pic of that 4wd drive one brings back some unpleasant memeories of taking that thing , transfer caes and all out of one 93 ford shortbed a couple of times form an overzealous mudding "adventure " that broketed some parts ................... try sccoa .com . it's a site of the crazies that like to play with these lil' giant killers ....... they might think yer crazy though for doing what yer doing . LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!i'd be willing to bet ya find a donor in someones back yard if it's anything like around here .

Old 04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
................... try sccoa .com . it's a site of the crazies that like to play with these lil' giant killers ....... they might think yer crazy though for doing what yer doing . LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!i'd be willing to bet ya find a donor in someones back yard if it's anything like around here .

Yep, been there a lot already... And yes, I will probably find a donor someplace. This is typical redneck 4WD country. Of course they usually rip everything up but I might find something.

Later Man...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
???

Does anyone know if the transfer case on the automatics of this series will work with the manual tranny?

Later Folks...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
tcase end=6 bolt circle. tranny end=depends on tranny.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i seen on darksider you got ya one found . cool deal ! i'm beggining to feel kinda stupid for not looking for , or remembering this trans out of a two wheel drive whilst looking for a 5 gear for bessie . flathead jack has adaptors for putting furrin one's behind a flatty . well hades again think kevin if it came from a 300 or 302 , speedway has adaptors to put late model ford trannies behind them !!!!!!!!! all that effort for a t-5 !!!! havi what do you mean your property values went up after cleaning the yard up ??? if i am too assume you moved / disposed of some old vehicles , i'd say that they went down as it isn't as beautiful as before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
i seen on darksider you got ya one found . cool deal ! i'm beggining to feel kinda stupid for not looking for , or remembering this trans out of a two wheel drive whilst looking for a 5 gear for bessie . flathead jack has adaptors for putting furrin one's behind a flatty . well hades again think kevin if it came from a 300 or 302 , speedway has adaptors to put late model ford trannies behind them !!!!!!!!! all that effort for a t-5 !!!!
Like I said there, I have to rustle up some revenue. I could sell you the one from the SC if you just need 2WD. I won't be needing it if I buy the one I found. I imagine that would be sweet behind the flatty. How much is the adapter and do you get to use your flywheel?

Later Man...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
shoot me a price on the sc trans . i got a t-5 now but i might just sell it instead if the shifter on the sc's is in the right spot { i know it's a mazda but i can justify it's use as ford owns part of 'em !} the adaptors run like 150 - and up depending . speedway and flathead jack has them for just about everything . my hold up is i dont want to go looking or use really , the two peice bell housing . i want to keep my one peice unit in the truck . yeah you get to keep the flywheel , in the case of the t-5 i have to get a chevy clutch and pressure plate { speedway is the cheapest i found there } and the adaptor to use the gm throwout with my clutch fork , or i could just go hydraulic as i'll have all that when i get the 91 s10 apart . oh and lets not forget wilcap or bendstens as he can make you anything you want to fit anything .

Quick Reply: Another Darkside deal...