Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
How-To: Behind Grille Fog Light Install

Well since I have been a member of FTE I have gained a lot of insight and benefited in many ways from the help of others. Now it' my turn to give something back.

Last week I took the family to the beach to watch the sunset and on the way back (in the dark of course) I realized just how poor the factory headlights on my truck are. I mentioned it to my wife and she agreed!

Needless to say, I soon had a set of auxiliary lights coming (nice find on Craigslist that my bro-in-law picked up on his way to visit us). This is no earth-shaking write-up, but it may help someone.

Before lights installed:

Click the image to open in full size.

My high tech of showing where I wanted the lights mounted so they would shine through the lower/outer grille openings.

These are the lights I got on CL for only $45 (1/2 the price of new).

With the grille off I checked the lights for fit. Just right.

Then I measured the grille opening.

I then compared that to the area where the light would be mounted.

I then marked where I wanted the hole so the light would be back close to but not touching the radiator.

I then drilled it and mounted the light bracket using a plastic bushing under the bracket so the grille will slide in under the bracket. (You can see my Zoodad mod in the upper right).

I then mounted the light to check for clearance in the back. Just right!

I then slid the grille on and made sure the light was centered in the opening.

I then put a piece of tape on the grille and marked the center of the light.

I then removed the light and marked the back of the grille directly in back so the center-line of the light would be visible when I flipped the grille upside down.

I then removed the grille, flipped it over on the bench and drilled a 1" hole where the light would be mounted.

I then removed the rest of the plastic using side cutters.

And smoothed it up using a razor knife. This is where the grille will slide in around the light bracket mounting bolt.

I then slid the grill in under the light bracket and double checked that I had notched the grille enough to clear the light mounting bolt.

Here it is with both lights installed.

And a side shot showing how the lights sit back inside the grille.

So now it's just a matter of running wires (I ran out of time tonight).

Next is 2004 headlights and turn signals!

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Very cool! Great writeup and pics! Reps for you!

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Hangin 10 bra

scottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud of
Those dont look too bad like that. I thought about something similar to this set up, however, I changed my grill to the 05-07 set up. So mine will be a tad different. I do have the wig wag lights mounted on the top bar of the grill so something like this might be cool.
Scott TN Chapter member and Official #21 Slackmaster!
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L Diesel King Ranch FX4. Moonroof, heated seats, slider back window, 2005-07 Modified grill, headlights, blacked out windows, tinted cab lights, tinted mirror blinkers, wig wag, EGR Delete, cb with exterior speaker mount, 7" dvd/GPS radio.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the comments and reps! Hopefully I can add some more to the collective wisdom that is FTE.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
nice job...reps your way.

2008 lariet 18" wheels*s&b air filter*5 star x2 tuner*front hidden hitch*6.0 trans cooler*autometer trans temp gauge*superlift leveling kit*rear firestone airbags*ARE cap*unity pillar spotlight
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
You Keep What You Kill

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice low-profile install... great job!

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Junior User

kpmalone is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great install and write up!!

1971 Bronco..Frame Off..331 stroker..C4..D20..3 1/2" SL..Power Steering..Toms Rear disc kit with Emergency brake..BG front disc kit..4.11 gears..35x12.50x17 toyo Mud terrains
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Postmaster

BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I like the procedure you followed to notch the grill to fit the light mounting tab.
i just drilled and screwed my little fog and driving lights to the grill. I wish I had done it your way!! great write-up and pics!
02 F-350 lariat srw,supercab longbed 4x4 FX4
[I][COLOR=blue]Transgo Tugger II, TRU-COOL 4739, AFE stage II intake, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71 View Post
I like the procedure you followed to notch the grill to fit the light mounting tab.
i just drilled and screwed my little fog and driving lights to the grill. I wish I had done it your way!! great write-up and pics!
Thanks! This way makes it easy to still get the grille off should I need to.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Freshman User

dmpruss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks great!!! I wonder how that would work with an 06 grill?!?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpruss View Post
Looks great!!! I wonder how that would work with an 06 grill?!?
Send me one to keep for my truck and I'll let you know.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Posting Guru

thedaddycat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice work, reps sent. Please let us know how well they work once you have everything wired up. I think that with the lights recessed like that in the grill there should be no glare problems or anything like that. Do you have upfitter switches installed or are you going to use something else like a relay powered off the fog light circuit?
TAG, Power Elbow, Blisteins, gages, MBRP 4" Turbo-back
XCal2 by SDT, HFCM drain, Centrimatic balancers
ESP luber, Oilguard bypass filter
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaddycat View Post
Nice work, reps sent. Please let us know how well they work once you have everything wired up. I think that with the lights recessed like that in the grill there should be no glare problems or anything like that. Do you have upfitter switches installed or are you going to use something else like a relay powered off the fog light circuit?
Actually they will run off a relay that is hooked to the high beam headlights. Next week I will be installing 2004 headlights and turn signals, so my low beams will be much better than they are now. Running these lights with the high beams should be sweet!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Posting Guru

thedaddycat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm sure that laws vary by state, but here in CT you can't have the high beams and fogs on at the same time. I have the BriteBox with FLC (Fog Light Control) and at times I worry about getting hasseled about that. The BriteBox leaves on the low beams when you turn on the high beams so both are on at the same time. The FLC option also turns on the fogs when the highs are on, even if the fogs were not on to start with. My Sonata leaves the lows on when you turn on the highs from the factory so it must be OK to have highs and lows on, but not sure about highs and fogs or driving lights. I've thought about adding a FLC cutout switch, mostly because it's an annoyance to have the fogs come on and light up the back of the plow when I hit the highs....

In the Tech Folder there's a mod to alter the fog control wiring so the fogs stay on no matter which lights you have on. I've also considered doing that mod but altering it slightly. Instead of just relocating the ground wire I thought about using a SPDT switch to go from normal OEM operation to modded operation(fogs stay on with high beams). That way I could disconnect the BriteBox FLC and use the switch to have High/Low/Fog or just High/Low when I have the plow on. Like most projects, the biggest detriment is having enough time to get it done.....

Here's the link from the Tech Folder:

http://www.ssdiv.com/fogfix.html

If you look at the last diagram you will see a blue oval (how appropriate) showing the mod to the wiring. My idea is to put the SPDT switch there so you can select between the ground the mod installs and OEM wiring. With a flip of the switch you can go from "the fogs are on when I want them on" to "no officer, I'm not sure what you're talking about but if you want I'll flip the lights from high to low so you can see that the fogs cut out when the high beams are on..." in other words normal OEM operation.
TAG, Power Elbow, Blisteins, gages, MBRP 4" Turbo-back
XCal2 by SDT, HFCM drain, Centrimatic balancers
ESP luber, Oilguard bypass filter
Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaddycat View Post
I'm sure that laws vary by state, but here in CT you can't have the high beams and fogs on at the same time.
That's too bad. Here in Oregon it is illegal to have fog lights on with low beams (no more than two lights on when there's vehicles in front of you). Obviously the auto manufacturers didn't consult Oregon law makers because most vehicles with factory fog lights have it so the fog lights are on with low beams and off with high beams.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
craigslist, driving, duty, f150, fog, grill, grille, harley, inside, install, light, lights, put, super, truck