2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Did Everyone Finally Resolve Their Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
kailor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Everyone Finally Resolve Their Transmission Problems?

I'm considering another Expedition. It would be a 2006, 2007 or a 2008. Did all of you who own a 2007 or a 2008 model completely resolve your transmission issues? My research tells me that (in my mind), having to get the transmission reprogrammed is a major issue. Would you hesitate to purchase another 2007 or 2008 model? Of the 3 model years I listed, which would you buy. I currently own a 2000. It is my limousine, daily-driver and chore vehicle and absolutely love it. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely go with the 07 or 08 the newer body style is great. as far as the tranny we had ours reprogrammed once when we bought it to take care of the jerky shift after slowing down and accelerating and since then it has been fine. I really like this 6 speed tranny for towing though and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Good Luck

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
kailor
Senior User
Thanks hookd.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
torysdaddy
New User
i was curious on this trans issue... the expy i am considering buying has 66000 miles and no warranty left, however the dealer is certifying it up to 100k miles. I am concerned that the trans may not have had this reprogram yet because it seemed to shift a bit harsh on the test drive. now even though I am going to mention this before I finalize the purchase what do the dealers usually charge for this reflash if it should be needed in the future? thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
IQ9
Senior User
Mine was never fixed-just lessened quite a bit. The "bump" still happens just no very often. Will they fix it? Yes they do the reflash does it work? Yes for a time. Does the issue come back? Yes and what then? Nothing...you're stuck. I would get the latest build date 08 you can find.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
My 2007 was fixed and it stayed fixed. Go for the 2007, I love it. It's the best Expy I bought so far. I had 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004 and now this.

2004 was the very worst of them.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
My 2007 was fixed and it stayed fixed. Go for the 2007, I love it. It's the best Expy I bought so far. I had 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004 and now this.

2004 was the very worst of them.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
chuck s
Elder User
My '07 was never broken and, consequently, never fixed...

-- Chuck

Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
thebnest
Freshman User
I've been going round and round with my Service Department for over a year now with my 08 transmission. It's been reflashed three times and everytime the "bump" reappears in about 3 or 4 weeks. At times it's a slight bump, other times it feels like I've been rear ended. Yes - it's been that violent at times. Service Department installed an onboard "flight recorder" to record the conditions prior to and after the incident. Once I recorded 4 "incidents", I took it back in, they downloaded all of the info to the engineers in Detroit, a week later with "lots" of troubleshooting in between, I got my answer - "Your transmission is working as designed, no troubles noted". Trouble showed up at about 26K miles, I just turned 40K. I bought it new, with 36 miles on it....I'm having SEVERE heartburn trying to get over the fact that I paid so much for this Limited with EVERY OPTION available with the exception of day time running lights and the EL...to be having this kind of BS problem. This board is littered with people complaining about it, with mixed results. I'm over it....

My advice, buy another low mileage 2000. I had a 99 Eddie Bauer that was the best dam vehicle I've ever owned, almost 200K on it before my oldest son totalled it, I'd still be driving it today if not for that.

I just went in for a regular service/oil change. Manager asked how the transmission was operating, I told him the same as it was and apparently will from here on out. I told him that it was pretty f-ing obvious that they didn't have anybody that knows HOW to fix it or anyone that even gives a RAT'S @$$ about it @ Ford - not just his Service Mechanics, because for the most part his mechanic has bent over backwards to figure out WTF is going on with it.

Thankfully I purchased the 7 year 100K mile warranty, at 99K miles that b1tch is leaving my driveway. If I can stomach it for that long.

If I were you, and you're hell bent on buying an 07 or 08, I'd insist on a weekend long test drive, that'll give you some idea IF it's going to do it and that's IF the CPU hasn't been reflashed recently. Reflashing has been nothing more than a temporary fix.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
We have an 07 which I love. I've been having a periodic trans issue which I really want to get fixed. If I am at a full stop and goto pull out the trucks lugs forward almost like the traction control system is holding me back. It feels like the truck never down shifted itself to 1st geard and its trying to pull away in 2nd or 3rd. It will evertually kick down and find the correct gear but it can be scary especially when making a left in front of on coming traffic. Is this related to the problem you all are describing?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
st381
Junior User
Originally Posted by thinksnow
We have an 07 which I love. I've been having a periodic trans issue which I really want to get fixed. If I am at a full stop and goto pull out the trucks lugs forward almost like the traction control system is holding me back. It feels like the truck never down shifted itself to 1st geard and its trying to pull away in 2nd or 3rd. It will evertually kick down and find the correct gear but it can be scary especially when making a left in front of on coming traffic. Is this related to the problem you all are describing?
I encounter the problem you are describing only if I fail to come to a complete stop at a STOP sign. Lacking a stop sign, when you slow to a crawl, my tranny will lag as though the tranny is still in second. About 2 seconds later it drops a gear and pulls out normally. I make sure I come to a complete stop now if I feel I need immediate power to cut across traffic. Probably safer to do that anyways, gives you time to look before you pull out.

I am assuming that this is the issue everyone is writing about but am not sure. My fix: modify my driving style as best as I can. Sometimes the issue can't be avoided.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 AM
thebnest
Freshman User
Originally Posted by thinksnow
Welcome to the club! That sounds very similar to my situation.

FWIW, I ALWAYS come to a complete stop at stop signs, so my driving "style" isn't an issue here.

Every so often, it'll also "hang up" in 3rd gear, RPM's steadily building as I continue to accelerate. The only way it'll go into 4th gear is if I lift my foot completely off of the gas. It's only done that about 6, maybe 8 times at the most and NOT during a hard acceleration. I don't drive it likes it stolen - I have a Corvette for that...and interestingly enough, the Corvette doesn't seem to care how hard I drive it....HMMMMM? (read as - much more reliable and it's an 84!)

Most troublesome to me is when I bought this truck I was completely SHOCKED at how smoooooth the tranny shifted. At times the only reason I knew the truck shifted was because I was watching the RPM's. It's, without a doubt a FANTASTIC transmission, when it's operating properly, which I fear won't ever happen again, unfortunately.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Like I said, mine only does this periodically. And "yes" it is from an absolute complete stop. One time I had been waiting several minutes to make a left accross heavy traffic and when I went it lugged out into the middle of the road. One thing I have figured out about this truck is when you want to pull out quick. I hold the brake and give it a little gas, not to much, just to spool up the TQ converter a bit. Then let go of the brake and these trucks will launch pretty damn good.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Bopper
Junior User
15,300 Miles. The bump appeared about 3 weeks ago. I took it dealer 2 days ago stating the Tranny bump's while decelerating at around 10 mph every time. They tried a reflash without success. They then replaced a module that was thankfully under warranty at the cost of $2,400.00. According to my reciept it looks like the module # is 8L2Z7Z369B. I am not sure exactly what was done, but it is driving smooth as silk right now, just like it did prior.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM
thebnest
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bopper
15,300 Miles. The bump appeared about 3 weeks ago. I took it dealer 2 days ago stating the Tranny bump's while decelerating at around 10 mph every time. They tried a reflash without success. They then replaced a module that was thankfully under warranty at the cost of $2,400.00. According to my reciept it looks like the module # is 8L2Z7Z369B. I am not sure exactly what was done, but it is driving smooth as silk right now, just like it did prior.

Excellent information...I'll "ask" my Service man about this next week!

Quick Reply: Did Everyone Finally Resolve Their Transmission Problems?