1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where to find truck & prices.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Sunlitgold68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find truck & prices.

Wondering where is the best place to start looking for a 1948 F1. Do most people go through ebay, craigslist?

What kind of price will you pay for a nice driveable F1 that looks factory original. Only looking for original unmolested or restored properly ones.

Are some colors worth more than others, would vermillion red sell higher than chrome yellow?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunlitgold68
Wondering where is the best place to start looking for a 1948 F1. Do most people go through ebay, craigslist?

What kind of price will you pay for a nice driveable F1 that looks factory original. Only looking for original unmolested or restored properly ones.

Are some colors worth more than others, would vermillion red sell higher than chrome yellow?

Thanks
You can basically look anywhere and everyone will have one place thats better than another. I did searches for my 55 on yahoo and google and thats where I ran across the place I found my truck at. Browsing Classic Truck and Classic Truck for Sale - Classic Chevy and Ford Truck - Classic Truck Trader. you can search by year, price, location, etc. etc. They have all kinds of trucks from old ones that need restored to ones that are all rodded out. I try to stay away from the ebays of the world when it comes to buying vehicles. I want to be able to atleast look it over before I put any cash down. As for the one color being more expensive than another, I guess it depends on if you like that color more than the other and if your willing to pay more for it. when I look at these things I dont pay to much attention to the colors because theres never one the exact color I want so that means I'll be painting it anyway.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well there a VERY broad field to look in and price ranges are very broad too.

I'd look on Craigs list, E-bay, or in our classifieds here.

For a 48 that has a reliable running engine, good brakes and drive train, tires, a seat, and little to no rust in original condition - not restored - if you can even find one, but with all the parts and a little rust, you are probably talking about $3000 - depending on what part of the country the truck is in. The last 100% EOM completely restored truck I saw sell was a 51 - which is close enough, sold for about $38,000.

You get the picture.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crud, Julie to the rescue again... I completely forgot about the price part of the question but Jules is right anywhere from 3k and up....

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say craigslist is your best bet. Up here driver quality anywhere from $5k to $10k projects start at $1500 and go up from there, cheaper for the bigger trucks. Buy one in the best shape you can, it will save you time and money in the long run..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can see it in person before you buy it is the best. Pictures don't show everything. Allso what some people call survice rust sometimes is is a little worst then it appears.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Price and condition will also depend on how far you are willing to go for it. Vehicles in the SW will typically be in much better condition and less expensive than vehicles in the NE where weather and salt take a heavy toll. We went to NM for our rust free truck. Fortunately I had a person I knew thru another forum that was local to the truck and who could check it out for me. Another source is local and regional car shows. A surprising (to outsiders) number of the vehicles being shown are for sale.
Color would only matter to the museum quality strict restorer that had to have one where that color was the original color and matched the vin plate. Just like new cars today, bright colors were rarely ordered.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ax, is correct. You'd be surprised how many are for sale all you need to do is ask. I know of a 52 in Pa that would sell tomorrow for $6500.

Are you dead set on a 48? I originally wanted a monkey face but this one came along with little to no rust and original running flathead. Too good to pass up and after a few weeks learned to like them more than the pre 51's

bob

Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Sunlitgold68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd really like a 48, first year and the black wheels with dish caps look really nice. I think the 55's look nice too. What is the general opinion on the color "yellow chrome" for 1948? Would this be considered a "loud" color, flashy like a new yellow corvette or more like the color of mustard? Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
depends on the shade. Chrome yellow is typically a bright yellow similar to the Corvette color. I am a bit biased since I own and race a bright yellow Solstice, but I find nothing wrong with painting a unique vehicle a bright color. Isn't the idea of owning it to attract attention to it? If I was just trying to attract attention to me, I would have bought a Hummer. Our panel will be painted bright purple and irridesent silver flake with a non traditional graphic break between the colors.