1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another visit from the Darksider...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another visit from the Darksider...

Hi Folks,
First off... All you purists pleas skip this post, it's a Darksider thing and you just wouldn't understand. OK, now that's out of the way, I'll get on with this.

It has been some time since I have posted here and I am thinking some of you either don't remember my project or don't know about it. To save time and space here, go to http://www.pvpmedia.com/WTP.htm or CLICK HERE to see a build thread for my project.

The picture of the prototype is a Photo Shop job that bobj did for me. it is a bit different in that he used a '56 to make the picture. Mine is a '53.

OK, assuming we are all up to speed on this I'll get to the reason for this post. I know a lot of you Darksiders on this board have had some experience with Rangers, Explorers and T-Birds. I recently acquired a '90 T-Bird Super Coupe with the supercharged 3.8L engine and a five speed manual overdrive tranny. I am thinking of going with this drive train providing I can get by two obstacles. The first is getting a transfer case from a Ranger or an Explorer Sport that had the manual five speed and getting it adapted to the T-Bird tranny. It has been suggested on another board that these transmissions are similar and the transfer case will bolt up. I have yet to visit the yards and get a first hand look at them. A quick peek under the SC tells me it might be possible. Until my next trip to Pull-A-Part I thought it might be a good idea to hear from people in the know.

My second obstacle is the issue of dealing with a combination of OBD-1 stuff from the '90 SC and OBD-2 instrumentation and control from the '97 Explorer stuff I have harvested. I have acquired all the wiring and electrical diagram manuals for the vehicles I have mentioned here. I also have an extensive background in electronics, instrumentation and control systems, Still I would really like to get in touch with some people who are or were involved with the engineering departments at Ford. It would be especially helpful to discuss this project with people who were involved when the switch to OBD-2 around '94 and '95. If any of you folks out there are familiar or know somebody who is, I would like to hear from you. Just PM or E-mail me.

OK, that just about covers everything... I hope this turns up some response. If so thanks in advance and thanks for reading this.

Later Folks...

Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Uncle Dave!

I'd use Gorilla glue to put those together!

Actually ya lost me at: "I recently acquired a '90 T-Bird Super Coupe" but I wanted to say it's nice to see you again!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would use the t-bird ECM, and the BCM and everything else from the explorer. How far are you going to go with emissions(evap?)

Do you want to plug in a OBD-II scanner and read engine codes?

At least fords electronics are very similar to each other from OBD and OBDII

I'm thinking the t-bird trans is T-5 and the ranger is a mazda based. The t-5 was behind s-10 motors so that may be a possible route. At the least change the tailshaft housing and mainshaft to a t-5 with a 4wheel drive housing and the pattern may work to bolt a explorer transfer case.

The more I think about it the more I think your nuts

Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't help with the OBD stuff but..... the 3.8L has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 300. 4.9L,302,5.0L,351W, 5.8L soooo...... you could always get a 5 spd/transfer case from a F series truck..pretty much any year as the ECM is already set for a manual tranny My thoughts
Love the ideas you are working on.... dare to be different

Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope the bird /sc trans is a mazda unit ... same thing i had in a shortbed 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 300 six in it guy's . they only wish it was a t-5 . hades i think the non w/c unit i got is stronger than that bird 5 gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the problem i ran into and i went and revisited some of the same kind of question on the bird forum i'm on , is that ford didn't use the same color or wiring codes near as i can figure , for any different model , and i was reminded that as long as it is the same engine , i.e. in your case dave , the wiring and ecu from a newer s/c will run your 91 as long as you use it all . i was going to use the ecu from a newer crown vic interceptor driveline i had sitting here but was told what i just told you and i would most likely throw the ecu and other things into a meltdown with the 2 different systems trying to communicate with each other . i'm no expert , but this is just what i was told and learned .so i'd be looking for a compatible system . kinda in the same vane here though as a for instance . i just acquired a 4 valve intech mod from a 97 mark 8 in a bone yard for 120 bucks . they cut the wiring , lines etc. and dumped her in a water puddle but the car was drove in and sold as it was hit HARD !!!!! i can remove my 2 valve mod in my bird , dump the 4 valve in and use my entire harness and connectors etc. and wire in a micro switch { i think that's what they said ! } to run the imrc's and it will fire and run . i just have to have my ecu retuned for the 4valve or get a custom chip i should say to run it right and make full power . now my head hurts and i'm getting dizzy fron too much thinkin'.....................and i'm fee;ing a bit sick oh yeah an intech is the same as the terminator as far as the block goes ... all aluminum 285-300 horse 4 valve screamer .............. the mustang has better cams , etc... and a supercharger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!