Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
New User

catman900 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check engine light

Hello guys I have been working on my sons 1993 f150 it has the 5.8l motor. We bought the truck cheap and have been restoring it basicly. The truck runs great there is no rough idle or missing or anything but when you start driving the check engine light comes on. Again even with the light on I cant feel any kind of running problems. I have taken it to the shop but as soon as you turn the truck off the light goes off. No matter what you do it will not come back on until the truck starts moving so they tell me they cant check it for codes. When it comes on it stays on until you turn the truck off. We have replaced a few things like the TPS and air idle vaule just because it needed new ones not to fix the problem and a complete tune up from wires to plugs ect.

Any help would be great with this Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Post Fiend

ymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputation
They're full of crap! I guarantee you have active & stored codes. The easiest way to do it anytime you want is buy an OBD-1 Code reader for Fords. Digital numeric display w/ memory. $22.77 online or you can find them in stores if you call around. No "counting the flashes" involved & denotes if the codes are engine off, continuous memory or engine running codes (engine off codes should be dealt w/ first). Comes w/ manual listing codes specific to trucks only also. Works great! I'll guess one of them will be a Hego sensor lean code. How many miles on your o2 sensor? Equus Innova 3145 OBD-I Ford Scan Tool
Note: the cable is an option to allow doing the tests from the drivers seat. Not a requirement.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
New User

Hmm I will have to look into that. As far as the O2 sensor I am not sure that is one thing we have not replaced yet. I guess I should to see if it is bad to be honest I forget about that lol. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Post Fiend

ymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputationymeski56 has a superb reputation
After 60k, they cost you money in gas & performance to keep em. Their switching speed slows & they become less accurate. They still function, but not optimally. o2's ahead of the cat regulate fuel trim. After the cat are for monitoring Cat function (Not so critical). Not sure how your 93'5.8 is set up, but the rules still apply.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test Here is a link to checking for trouble codes without a code reader.
ymeski is right you will have codes (they will be 3 digit) so you may as well see what they are. He is also right that it is easier with a code reader but costs nothing to have a go with the above link.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy K View Post
Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test Here is a link to checking for trouble codes without a code reader.
ymeski is right you will have codes (they will be 3 digit) so you may as well see what they are. He is also right that it is easier with a code reader but costs nothing to have a go with the above link.
This is true! I just don't trust my counting the flashes. So it's kind of a stress reducer for me & I wanted to do the cylinder output balance test w/ it. but found out afterwards it only does that w/ SEFI's not EFI's. Still worth every penny!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
New User

Thanks for the help guys I will start by replacing the o2 sensors and probably get the meter as well it never hurts to have one when ya need one I have 2 ford trucks.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman900 View Post
Thanks for the help guys I will start by replacing the o2 sensors and probably get the meter as well it never hurts to have one when ya need one I have 2 ford trucks.
Any Ford cars or trucks, 81'-95' After that is OBD-2.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1993, 1996, 2004, check, code, codes, engine, f150, f350, ford, light, moving, reader, start, truck