1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

wana run this by yas

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wana run this by yas

well im donig my injectors probably this friday morning or saturday and since id have to drain the cylinders once the injectors are pulled and theres going to be air in the lines, i figured i could just pull the plug and drain all the pan oil, then start it up till it dies so the entire system is drained, i got some nasty oil in tehre right now. so i figured instead of keeping most of the oil in the system and letting it drain into the cylinders just run it out of oil basically. will anything happen to it if i do? i just dont wana mix the little bit of old oil in there witih the fresh oil ya know?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been told if you want to drain the heads just suck the oil out of the HPOP reservoir. The heads will drain back into it. I would think doing it your way oil would remain in the heads anyway, you would just loose pressure. I'm not a big fan on draining all the oil in the pan and starting up.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
im open to suggestions! just looking for a way to get all the oil out in the least time consuming effort, thats all.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
please don't do that. nothing good can come of starting your truck with no oil in the pan. no even sure that it would start without oil in the pan, but full in the HPOP rez, but don't try it. just drain the pan, vacuum the HPOP rez, and pull the injectors. easy enough. doesn't take long to vacuum the cylinders and the HPOP rez. once you do that you will have completely drained all the oil from you truck

Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
please don't do that. nothing good can come of starting your truck with no oil in the pan. no even sure that it would start without oil in the pan, but full in the HPOP rez, but don't try it. just drain the pan, vacuum the HPOP rez, and pull the injectors. easy enough. doesn't take long to vacuum the cylinders and the HPOP rez. once you do that you will have completely drained all the oil from you truck
X2 if you start this project early in the morning you can have it back on the road around lunch or a little after.

NO oil and running could result in very bad thing

Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Alright alright don't beat me down lmao I was just asking, to be honest with ou I don't think I cab get the res plug out! Frozen bugger! Does pulling the 2 rear drain all or moat of the oil in the gallys? And she ain't Gina be on the rd till Sunday! Mocking up my own spyder and DIY 2's

Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Pull the rear injector on each head, let the fuel/oil drain, then suck it out with a vac pump. Pull the plug on the HPOP res and suck it out also, then drain the pan. Try some penetrating oil on the HPOP res plug if it's being stubborn, maybe a little heat carefully.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
x2. The oil will run to the back injector if it sits a while too.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Buy you some o-rings and just pull the IPR, clean it up and make sure it's in good shape for the new sticks. That will also empty your HPOP reservoir.

While the oil does fire our injectors, and cranking with an empty pan might aid in clearing the rails, there's that little matter of the oil also lubricates all sorts of bearings and moving parts.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Just take a air cutting tool and cut a line across the plug. Use a screw driver and remove the plug. If it doesn't want to move lay the screw driver in the grove at a angle and whack it with a hammer. That's what I do, damn hex screws anyway.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
Alright alright don't beat me down lmao I was just asking, to be honest with ou I don't think I cab get the res plug out! Frozen bugger! Does pulling the 2 rear drain all or moat of the oil in the gallys? And she ain't Gina be on the rd till Sunday! Mocking up my own spyder and DIY 2's
wasn't trying to beat ya. sorry if that's the way it seemed. it's just if you do crank on it without oil in the pan then your not lubing the main bearings, rod bearings, cylinder walls, cam bearings, cam, lifters, etc. even if it's just for a second or so i wouldn't want to do that to these parts that need tight tolerances. you can get the HPOP rez plug out with a little force i bet.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya I just stripped the allen hole on the plug when I installed the 17* saturday. I just used an easy out and it came right out. When I tightened it back up I just put it in with the easy out still in it and tightened till it fell out. No leaks yet. I'm getting a new one from partsguyed though. Trying to think of something else I should get so I don't pay 3 times the cost of the plug for the shipping.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm backing travis on this one.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
I say DO IT! haha then you have an excuse to get a fully built motor.... and then MAYBE you'd be able to beat me lmao.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by foxracing0934
I say DO IT! haha then you have an excuse to get a fully built motor.... and then MAYBE you'd be able to beat me lmao.
You've yet to post any times from either one of your trucks.. i bet he can take you!!! post times or your truck is slow.. hahaha. (insert poking emoticon here)

Quick Reply: wana run this by yas