1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 SD Info - Order In

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Shakedown St.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 SD Info - Order In

Hello all, I have been lurking for a couple months looking for info on the new SD. The main reason for me upgrading from an F150 to F250 is to pull my boat. My F150 pulls my 9,000lb rig ok, but am really looking forward to pulling it "easily", hopefully. I currently live in Miami, FL but am relocating to Bozeman, MT in a few months. Other than the drive to Montana pulling 9000lbs, once living there I will probably be towing this boat through the mountains for a few hours roughly 5-10 times per year. The time has come to pull the trigger and have decided to go with a 2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2L gasser. This truck will be loaded to the gills. I will be ordering this week, but had a couple of last minute questions regarding options. In reality, am I foolish choosing the 6.2 over the 6.7 based on the way I will be using it as stated above? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 6.2 will be plenty for the weight being towed and the amount of towing I will be doing. I really don't think the 6.7 fits my lifestyle, even though it is supposed to be one bad mother. My other question are the gears. Standard for 6.2 is the 3.73 limited slip. How will this affect my towing ability and would this be the recommended set up? Should I go with the 4.30 and how will this affect my towing ability? I guess I should also ask about the difference in gas milage between the two as well? Looking for pro's and con's to all of the above for anybody willing to give their advice. Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
I would definitely opt for the diesel. I don't think the 6.2 will pull much better than your 5.4 F150 as your F250 will likely weigh 2k more. You're going to lose a lot of the 6.2s power with the altitude out here. Not so with the diesel as it is turbo charged. I pulled a much smaller boat (4klbs) around the mountains here and I was constantly turning 5krpms. If you were still in Florida I wouldn't hesitate on the 6.2, but out west diesels are the only way to pull.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Polar Skipper
Freshman User
I think you would be fine with the 6.2L. My boat and trailer weigh in at about 9K also. I researched all the info I could find - read everything that the the ford engine design engineer wrote in response to the questions posed on this forum - and finally ordered a F-350, 6.2L, SC, SB, 4X4 XLT, XTR with the 3.73 rear end. This truck will also be used as a daily driver for part of the year. Check out the torque curves for the 6.2 in another thread and compare them to the highly praised V-10. A real eye opener. Yes - the 6.2 likes to rev but it was designed that way and I love the fuel mileage. . YMMV

Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
If you can swing it, I would also opt for the 6.7 because of the altitude you may realize once you're out there why everyones driving a diesel.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would stick with gas the new diesels are not road proven yet and there is also a much higher upfront and maintenance cost with a coal burner. Also you are moving someplace cold and diesel engines are a pain in the butt when it is cold out. Since you are only going to be towing less than a dozen times a year I would stick with the smaller gear ratio to help with fuel economy.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
superdutyduck
Senior User
Originally Posted by broncobran68
I would definitely opt for the diesel. I don't think the 6.2 will pull much better than your 5.4 F150 as your F250 will likely weigh 2k more. You're going to lose a lot of the 6.2s power with the altitude out here. Not so with the diesel as it is turbo charged. I pulled a much smaller boat (4klbs) around the mountains here and I was constantly turning 5krpms. If you were still in Florida I wouldn't hesitate on the 6.2, but out west diesels are the only way to pull.
uh do you not know that the 5.4 is weak, but hey my 6.8 only outpulls its deisel counterpart once it get higher into the rpms. but then again i'm a gasser guy. oh and yes my 6.8 spanks the 6.0 climbing the mountain passes.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
6.2 just made their debut and it's not worthy of pulling a load. It's all about diesels . The never ending debate to come . The gas will take care of your needs you posted.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For only pulling 5-10 times a year, you'll be fine with the gas. If you were towing on a weekly basis it might be a diffferent story.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
Originally Posted by superdutyduck
uh do you not know that the 5.4 is weak, but hey my 6.8 only outpulls its deisel counterpart once it get higher into the rpms. but then again i'm a gasser guy. oh and yes my 6.8 spanks the 6.0 climbing the mountain passes.
I do know that the 5.4 is weak- 310hp in a truck is just ridiculous. I think I alluded to that in my post. My point was that my 5.4, pulling a 5k# smaller boat, with a 2k# lighter truck, felt very inadequate in the mountains. It did fine on the flatlands just not in the hills, so I doubt the extra 75hp and 60lb-ft are enough to compensate for the 7k# difference. I would personally be very dissatisfied, but perhaps I have much higher expectations. To me towing 5-10 times a year over a couple hours each is a lot, and would warrant a diesel.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Shakedown St.
Junior User
Thank you everybody for your replies. I figured this may turn into another gas vs. diesel pissing match, but I asked for it and appreciate everybodies opinion. I am still leaning towards the 6.2, but the diesel fans are pointing out some good things.

Originally Posted by Wagion
I would stick with gas the new diesels are not road proven yet and there is also a much higher upfront and maintenance cost with a coal burner. Also you are moving someplace cold and diesel engines are a pain in the butt when it is cold out. Since you are only going to be towing less than a dozen times a year I would stick with the smaller gear ratio to help with fuel economy.
Wagion, so your thinking the 3.73 LS over the 4.30 w/ locking diff. would be the wiser decision based on my needs and fuel economy? Not to sound completely ignorant and putting fuel economy aside, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Keep the opinions coming and again, thanks in advance!!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
The 4.30 will keep the rpms higher where the engine makes more power. The 3.73 will keep the engine turning slower getting better mileage. The limited slip uses clutches to lock both rear axle shafts together giving you true two wheel drive. When you make a turn the clutches slip allowing the outer tire to rotate faster than the inner. A LSD provides good performance on pavement and in mud, but the clutches do wear out over time and can be costly to fix.

The locker will handle fine on pavement when unlocked, and great offroad as there will be no slipping of clutches. The downside of the locker is that it can only be engaged in 4x4 and only at certain speeds.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go 6.2 gasser with teh 4:30 gears..

best combo given teh new 6speed auto box.. you'll have plenty of grunt at all RPM's and still get good MPG due to the new tranny design...

the diesel is something you do if your pulling heavy all the time.. not a good engine for start/stop daily driving...

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Shakedown St.
Junior User
Originally Posted by broncobran68
The 4.30 will keep the rpms higher where the engine makes more power. The 3.73 will keep the engine turning slower getting better mileage. The limited slip uses clutches to lock both rear axle shafts together giving you true two wheel drive. When you make a turn the clutches slip allowing the outer tire to rotate faster than the inner. A LSD provides good performance on pavement and in mud, but the clutches do wear out over time and can be costly to fix.

The locker will handle fine on pavement when unlocked, and great offroad as there will be no slipping of clutches. The downside of the locker is that it can only be engaged in 4x4 and only at certain speeds.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, it helps alot. Sounds like the 4.30 would be the way to go to keep good power in the mid to upper rpm's where it will matter most while towing.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Shakedown St.
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
go 6.2 gasser with teh 4:30 gears..

best combo given teh new 6speed auto box.. you'll have plenty of grunt at all RPM's and still get good MPG due to the new tranny design...

the diesel is something you do if your pulling heavy all the time.. not a good engine for start/stop daily driving...

Said it for me Fordfanatic4life. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Leo99
Freshman User
I towed my 7000 pound travel trailer in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina with my 06 F-150 5.4. In my opinion, the motor wasn't up for the job. I would recommend a diesel for a 9000 pound boat in mountainous terrain. I don't feel it's a gas versus diesel debate, but a simple matter of torque.

Quick Reply: 2011 SD Info - Order In