1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best S-10 frame swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 AM
dstrang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best S-10 frame swap

Wanting to put an S-10 frame under my 1953 f-100. Does anyone know what year or years work best? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
daves54
Elder User
Prepare for the verbal beating which will surely follow!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrang
Wanting to put an S-10 frame under my 1953 f-100. Does anyone know what year or years work best? Thanks!

None! There is no such thing ,............... it can be done and is, ....................but it’s just not worth the result, modifying you original frame is better. I wonder what would make you think that any S10 frame (or Ranger) would be better then another? You don't have enough posts to do search’s (a stupid rule) for the couple hundred odd posts about this subject, but don’t take my word for it, start here and let me know what conclusions you come to?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...wer-frame.html

and another;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0-project.html

A little off the subject but this is to do with a explorer frame / floor pan swap just for info (ignore various hi-jack attempts of the thread).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...rer-frame.html

and search resukts for "frame swap" if that link works;

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

that should get you started.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
New chassis

Well I know there are plenty of folks against a frame swap, but what about a new model specific chassis? For those of us with more $ than skill, a TCI, Fatman, etc. Chassis may be the answer! Sure it will cost between $6k-$10k! Depending on what you want (4 wheel disks, IFS, 4-link, airbags, polished stainless stuff, etc, but after you add up everything it would cost to pay someone else to do it for you (materials and LABOR) it might be the most feasible option for getting what you want. The only question then becomes: Can your wallet support your wishes?

Guess I just let my darkside take over for a minute, but I plan on using my frame to hold up my body until I get my body mods done. Then, see ya!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
It's not that we're against frame swaps, per se, it's that we hope to avoid the pitfalls that will occur 99% of the time by people who try them. And I think I'm being generous saying one in a hundred will turn out good. Most of the time, the project ends up as a giant heap of cut up scrap metal. But an aftermarket frame designed for the purpose is certainly a viable option, and my following comments do not apply to them.

There seems to be some kind of misconception that frames are frames, and you can just drop any body on any frame and it will fit. Not so. Body mount location is critical in having your sheet metal fit correctly, and that starts right up front with the radiator support. On the stock frame, it mounts on the front crossmember in a specific location. If that location isn't perfect on the replacement frame, up-down, left-right, forward and back, it's not going to work. Period. Next is the cab mounts. Same rules apply. It also means, in most cases, the floor pan will need to be removed and a new one fabbed in. The bed is the easy part. But what will you do about any difference in wheelbase? Cut the frame? Where and how will you do that? What are you planning to cut, up in the front, to get the rad support located correctly?

Anytime you start cutting and modifying on frames, you take on a whole new level of liability. You'd better have advanced experience in body and frame repair before you start chopping frames in half. Even if you don't value your own life while building your death trap, I don't prefer to share the same road with you.

My 2c.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well stated! My somewhat myopic reply was directed more at simplicity than safety, but the bottom line is we aren't building these trucks as static displays!

A frame swap just seems like a huge headache regardless of the more important safety concerns. I'm not sure my previous post expressed it, but I couldn't agree more. If you're keeping score at home, count one vote for newbies against frame swapping! Ultimately we each have to decide for ourselves, but I'm here to hear from those who have been there, done that!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
dstrang
New User
s-10 frame swap

Thanks for your input! I think i'll go the IFS route!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrang
Wow this is a touchy subject apparently, almost as touchy as a flathead in a Bronco II ...... I keep reading on here about a lot of failed frame swaps...most likely due to someone in over their head... but if you have the time, skills and of course money all is possible. It really is not something that hasn't been done already, people just have to realize the amount of work and fabrication necessary....... it is not like remove bolts A-Z, swap frames and reinstall Bolts A-Z........ but if you have skills, or friends with skills, and a plan then it is not rocket science....... just lots of work...... my 2 cents.

This site, E-Z Chassis Swaps ,has some good info and a universal kit that I am sure someone, somewhere has used for a fat fendered Ford. The beauty about an S10 frame is there is a factory splice you can disconnect and shorten the frame easily to get the wheel base, well as easily as working on a frame is The track width may or mat not be correct but I am sure it can be corrected with rim offsets.... dare to be different

Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you know a bit about fabricating you can easily do this! i`ve do a couple 3100 gm`s and if i look at my cab floor compared to the gm`s its just as flat, make yourself some heavy duty 90 degree angle plates to mount to the frame and use the existing front and rear mounts, the truck box is where it gets funky,the frame kick is really high on a s10 and you`ll have to raise the box floor and possibly notch the front box piece (depending on how low you mount it on the s-10 frame, done right its as safe as the s10 driving down the street!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Patoka, IL? I used to live down the road from you on Raccoon Lake. Welcome to the Forum! I'm one of those who bought a TCI frame. I already had the MII front ordered and the four link rear ordered when I discovered my frame would need between $600-1,200 worth of tweaking to possibly get it straightened back out. So my options were to buy another truck with possibly another bent frame, spend the money possibly unbending my frame, or throw in a few(thousand) more dollars and have a structurally superior frame that was definitely straight. I didn't need another truck, and for more $ I didn't have to worry about whether I would be working with a straight frame or not. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many years ago I did a 51 cab and box transplant on a cherokee chief (jeep) frame. (I know, I know, don't laugh) I had all the 51 sheet metal and stuff but no frame for it. I had the jeep frame and no body for it. Rather than send both the jeep and the f1 to the dump I got this bright idea of mating the two together. There was a lot of welding and trial and error fitting but I did get it mated up and looking fairly decent. With help from my father and his John Deere tractor with forks to lift with we got it together. I don't have any documentation other than this single photo, this was before cell phones and digital cameras. BTW, the jackall isn't holding up anything other than just leaning there. The truck is on solid wood blocks. If you look closely you can see the full time hubs on the front end. You ask if I would attempt this again? Not a chance, we lucked out and got it pretty darn close but to a trained eye (read fellow f1 owner) there is something quite odd about the way it looks. Nope, I wouldn't do it again, but each to his own. Some one else could do this and be quite happy with the results. I say, if you want to do it, it's yours to do what you want. Like said above, nothing is impossible. Get out the tools and fly at it. Incidently, it passed its inspection for insurance and registration first time at it.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM
jasper1950
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is mine from an 85 S-10. Lot's of head scratching and fabrication. You are better off just utilizing your frame and updating it.

Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I can tell you another thing, S-10's don't ride that much better than an F-1!