Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior User

idahodisco is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do I flush my radiator?

I think I have old coolant in my truck or maybe something els is going on but today in it ran 230 deg going up a 1/2 mile hill luckly it leveled out!
I have the flush splice in my heater core lines that I can hook a water hose up to but I dont know if I let the water run out the radiator cap or drain plug untill it runs clear?
Any suggestions on how to do a good radiator flush?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Post Fiend

plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.plumber01 has a spectacular reputation.
profile.php?id=100000919328414 @TRUMBATURE Robert Trumbature FORD-MANIAC
Step 1Turn the engine off and allow it to cool to non-operating temperatures. Cover the engine compartment, with the exception of the radiator, with an approved tarp or blanket in order to eliminate splashes on the rest of the engine block.

Step 2Remove the radiator cap. Remember to do this only after the engine has cooled completely.

Step 3Check the radiator hoses for damage. Feel the hoses for signs of brittleness or excessive moisture.

Step 4Drain the liquid inside the radiator into a plastic tray or tub. If the liquid is fairly clean, proceed with the flush. If it is unusually dirty, check the exterior of the radiator for excessive rust or damage.

Step 5Flush the radiator with cold water from a garden hose. Let the water overflow the top of the radiator until it comes out clean.

Step 6Perform a reverse flush by replacing the radiator cap on the top, and removing the cap on the bottom of the radiator. Again, let the hose run until the water comes out clean.

Step 7Attach the garden hose to the engine cooling jacket and flush it out in the same manner.

Step 8Replace all hoses and the bottom radiator cap once the water has completely drained.

Step 9Add coolant to your radiator to the level recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

Step 10Inspect the radiator cap for excessive rust. If it looks fine, screw it back on the top of the radiator.

Step 11Remove the engine cover, start your engine and watch for leaks. If you do not see drops of coolant developing on the ground beneath the car, take it for a spin around the block to ensure you have flushed your radiator correctly
CLICK HERE to JOIN the TEXAS CHAPTER
Check out the Texas Chapter pictures

Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior User

idahodisco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey thanks Plumber01 but one more question is this in the water pump I see a screw?? Step 7Attach the garden hose to the engine cooling jacket and flush it out in the same manner.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
2002, 60, 73, car, diesel, escape, f150, f250, f450, flush, ford, power, powerstroke, radiator, rust, stroke