Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thinking about a 5th wheel...

Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking about a 5th wheel...

To live in on the road, I am tired of pissing money away at the hotels when I could be buying something.

I get 75 bucks a day to live on out here, that is for hotel and food, well ****, three days of that is a small trailer payment, and a weeks worth is a damn nice trailer.

I dont want to spend 30k on something, but in the area of 15k max... Just found one here in Prescott that is nice for 7700, and I could offer less I am sure, then I found this one back home in Bend...

Clean & Pretty Jayco 5th Wheel

more my style too... Anyone living on the road in these things? Whats a RV space go for a month??? Nice ones?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I love my 5th wheel and fantasize about fulltiming one day. You would be looking at probably about $30-40 a night for an average park. But most places have lower rates for long-term occupants. Also, many of the nice parks don't allow you to stay too long. Check out RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information there are some full-time forums on there and overall just a great source for tons if info on RVs good luck.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
conkster
Junior User

One thing to keep in mind is that there are some rv parks that won't allow trailers that are older than 10 to 15 years old, varies by park . Most of them don't care, but it sucks when you run into one and have an older trailer.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
To live in on the road, I am tired of pissing money away at the hotels when I could be buying something.

I get 75 bucks a day to live on out here, that is for hotel and food, well ****, three days of that is a small trailer payment, and a weeks worth is a damn nice trailer.

I dont want to spend 30k on something, but in the area of 15k max... Just found one here in Prescott that is nice for 7700, and I could offer less I am sure, then I found this one back home in Bend...

Clean & Pretty Jayco 5th Wheel

more my style too... Anyone living on the road in these things? Whats a RV space go for a month??? Nice ones?
Couple of thoughts.

First as to the 5er. Jayco Designers hold up pretty well. It is essential that you go over it to look for water damage. Check the ceiling, floor and walls of the slide-out, and around the exterior all horizontal seams where water can collect. The front and rear cap on the roof are the crucial areas there. Nothing destroys the value of a camper more than water damage. The asking price is way over dealer book (the NADA guides on the Internet are not what dealers use). On the other hand, the likelihood of finding a clean 5er at much below this price is not great and I think it is worth a look.

As to living on the road. Many campgrounds do offer reduced rates to those who stay longer. The best one locally costs about $19.00 a night. I do work for a number of folks who work on the road and they think it is clearly superior to motel living. It is true some parks do not allow older campers, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule in this part of the country.

If you are not familiar with RVs, you will be money ahead to hire a tech to go over it with you. It might cost $200.00, but an experienced tech may well know more about a camper walking in the door than a shopper will discover over the course of a day.

Good hunting. RVing is great lifestyle
Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
28 ft wilderness 5th wheel, slide and bunks

Another one... But I dont care for the bunks, the wife suggested them.

It will more or less be just me, I did it back before we had kids when I was an equitment operator. I had a 1979 komfort 24 footer... It was fine as an operator, no one cares if you shirt is ironed or crap like that. But as a super, I need to be a little more up to date.

I'm on the hunt...LOL

Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot

It will more or less be just me, I did it back before we had kids when I was an equitment operator. I had a 1979 komfort 24 footer... It was fine as an operator, no one cares if you shirt is ironed or crap like that. But as a super, I need to be a little more up to date.

I'm on the hunt...LOL
When it comes to RVs a "good deal" is never dictated by price. As long as you enjoy what you buy, it was a "good deal"

Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got anybody close to yaa Joe that knows RV's to help check it out with yaa?? Most dealers are pretty good along with private sellers, like me I take pride in my ride but every so often you get a rig that has some problems, underlying problems, just helping you out.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
not sure where I am going to get one... If I find it in Oregon, I have to drive there and bring it back... If I find it here in AZ that would be better.

I really like the first one myself, its lifted which is perfect for me!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
When it comes to RVs a "good deal" is never dictated by price. As long as you enjoy what you buy, it was a "good deal"

Steve

Thanks for your input! I will more then likely be shooting you a random PM from time to time...

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm on the hunt...LOL
If you have kids, the bunks can pull double duty as storage, then as sleeping quarters for the kids when you are on vacation.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:40 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just searching around, I have a Forest River Cherekee 31 footer tow along but not sure on what brand is best on a 5th wheel, the 5th wheel guys will guide yaa Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from RV Traders

Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by big poppa
Just searching around, I have a Forest River Cherekee 31 footer tow along but not sure on what brand is best on a 5th wheel, the 5th wheel guys will guide yaa Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from RV Traders
As a general rule, manufacturers have roughly the same investment in campers at the same price point. You get more quality for more money - but, any camper will last a very long time, provided it is used and maintained. Cherokee is fine, as are many others. Folks tend to make distinctions based on their own preferences. Working on them every day, I am not sure the differences are as great as they might indicate.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest thing is just like RVtech said its if you enjoy it. Make sure you have in mind what you would like. Table and chairs vs booth (non-movable), bathroom thats private or part of the main sleeping area, rear kitchen or living room, a lot of windows or more private, extras like tv, fireplace, AC and it works, heater works if in cold climate. look in all corners for leaks. The best thing would be to go to an rv show and check out the floor plans and see what you a like and don't like. Get what you want the first time otherwise you will be unhappy and looking to upgrade too soon. Just my .02 .........

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mndiesel
The biggest thing is just like RVtech said its if you enjoy it. Make sure you have in mind what you would like. Table and chairs vs booth (non-movable), bathroom thats private or part of the main sleeping area, rear kitchen or living room, a lot of windows or more private, extras like tv, fireplace, AC and it works, heater works if in cold climate. look in all corners for leaks. The best thing would be to go to an rv show and check out the floor plans and see what you a like and don't like. Get what you want the first time otherwise you will be unhappy and looking to upgrade too soon. Just my .02 .........
The average first time buyer keeps their first rig less than two years and purchases a total of five RVs. Those are industry stats, but I think they say a lot about how hard it is to get it right when you are starting out.

Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
fifthwheel01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every one has given good advice. Only thing I might add is check the date codes on the tires, if they are over 5-6 years old you'll want to replace them before any trip.
And the ad states "no smoker no pets" then there should be no reason for a "Fabreeze" smell. Pull the sheets off the mattress and check it out real good. Smell, sniff and sniff again for mold, in all closets drawers and under the sinks. Just like any vehicle eyeball the frame. Water damage tends to grow mold in corners abd anywhere he walls meet the floor. Jayco makes a good trailer and that one is a nice size. You'll love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about a 5th wheel...