1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Virginia Beach Paint Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
perrymedik
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia Beach Paint Shop

Hey all!

I'm almost ready to take my frame to get (Sand/Bead) Blasted and Powder Coated.

I am new to the Virginia Beach, VA area and was wonering if anyone else on the site was in this area that could recommend a place that did good quality work and didn't want to charge you an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Cory

Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want to get your frame powder coated, you aren't looking for a paint shop, but rather a powdercoater with a big enough oven to bake a frame in it. Powder coaters will also be able to sandblast the frame themselves or have a blaster they are familiar/work with since the quality of a PC job is dependent on the prep underneath. Check with speed shops and circle track racers in the area, they usually know where to go. Powdercoating is a beautiful durable finish if done right, but be sure you have done a total mock up assembly of the truck first, you cannot weld or do any modifications to the frame without destroying the PC finish afterwards. you cannot touch up PC like paint.
PS PC of an entire frame ain't gonna be cheap.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 PM
perrymedik
Freshman User
AX,

Thanks for the input. Personally I would love to do the sandblasting and painting myself, but don't have the tools, space or experience to even begin. I'll ask around to some of the local shops for places to go.

What's your take on Sand Blasting vs. Bead Blasting?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Depends on what you are blasting and what condition it's in. They are a lot of different blasting media in use today that serve different purposes. If you are taking it to a blaster, if he is any good he'll know what to use to get the results you want. Seldom is sand the media actually used. Sand is a serious health hazard for blasting and typically has too much moisture to go thru a blaster successfully. Sand also fractures and embeds particles into the surface when used on metal. bead blasting is not a real effective cleaning media and tends to work harden the metal surface. Slag is one choice for blasting your frame as are softer media such as walnut shell, corn cob, plastic media, but softer media are not as effective for removing rust or old body filler.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have already done the body and engine out consider this. Take a wire wheel to the frame and knock all the loose rust off. Buy a gallon of Chassis Saver (made by Magnet Paints). You can brush it on or spray it on. It is a quality product. I used Rust Bullet on my frame and Chassis Saver on the underside of the cab. I like the Chassis Saver better.
Just a cheaper idea to think about.

Vern

Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
perrymedik
Freshman User
Is that some type of paint or something to prep it for painting?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
..perrymedik.."Chassis Saver?"..Goggle Chassis saver paints and check it out,.. also check Verns gallery,..It's another option for a frame coating and it does a very good job,looks good and ii's tough as nails..try a qt of the black for stuff for things around the yard too...

Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
perry; go to magnetpaints.com
It is a very durable industrial type coating that can be painted. It is rust inhibitive.

Vern

Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just what the hades are you taking to give you so much d-mn energy ??????????? you're getting way too much done and making us old farts feel lazy son !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whatever it is i want some !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
just what the hades are you taking to give you so much d-mn energy ??????????? you're getting way too much done and making us old farts feel lazy son !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whatever it is i want some !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, Perry is going at it! It is important to remember that the take apart phase is the fast phase. I had a friend that would reduce a Model A to nuts and bolts in 1 day, not unreasonable.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
perrymedik
Freshman User
Well, I do have a bit of motivation pushing me along. I deploy in a few weeks and between getting everything ready and what not, I only have a very short time to get this bad boy stripped down to the frame.

My goal is to get it that way so that my wife can take it some where and have it blasted, the new front end brackets welded on, and then painted while I am away for the next 6 months.

That's the game plan. Fingers crossed boys and girls, pray for good weather!

Cory

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
And for a safe return! You are going to put it in her hands to find someone to weld in your IFS straight and without warping the frame? My wife is a gearhead big time, but I wouldn't even consider letting someone I didn't know do that with me standing next to them, much less put the burden on her to do it. You my friend ARE brave indeed! You do understand that most IFS crossmembers create interference issues with a front sump oil pan engine (such as yours) don't you?