1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ravelco system

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
ehchvac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravelco system

Ravelco systems
I am thinking of getting one of these installed, who has them, who likes them, who hates them, has anyone EVER had any problem with them.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I have had it on my truck for quite some time. Never a problem. I don't know of anyone who has ever had an issue, or a theft.

It is a good anti-theft...it is not an alarm. So be sure that is what you are after.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
ehchvac
Senior User
It has the factory door alarm for what thats worth, but to me I cant count the times I have walked by a car with the alarm going off.
Car alarms going off are so common that no one pays attention.
Car alarms will not stop smash and grab morons, but maybe with this setup at least the truck will still be there even if someone rips off the contents.
Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm looking into one myself. I'm not worried about a smash and grab, they can have my factory stereo and the wal mart tools in the back seat. I mainly want to make sure my diesel engine doesn't go anywhere without me driving it, cause I can't afford a replacement truck.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Ex18C
New User
Ravelco

I have the Ravelco system installed in both my wife's 2002 Excursion Diesel and my 2005 Excursion Diesel. I put them in after a guy I work with had his 2004 F-250 stolen from a Wal-Mart in Surprise, AZ 10 days after he bought it. On the store security tape it clearly shows a scout car drive by his truck very slowly. Then about a minute or so later another car comes by and let's an individual out and that individual got into my friends truck with a screwdriver. His truck was gone about 10 seconds after the subject entered the vehicle. His truck was found stripped and they never caught who did it. The installer who hooked mine up told me his friend bought an F250 and kept it in his garage and refused to drive it until he had the Ravelco installed. The day he had it installed he went to Costco 3 hrs later and you guessed it.....someone tried to steal it!

Overall I like the Ravelco. It's nothing flashy and you will forget the plug in your truck a few times during the first week until you get used to it. I would also make sure your turbo has stopped cooling before removing the plug. The total cost for both was just shy of $1000 and included a spare plug, id stickers for each. Not sure where you are with your decision but I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
A little research will enable you to install your OWN Revelco type anti-theft system. Then you will know what wiring/system was cut to install it. Parts will run you less than $50.00 and the experience will teach you all about your truck!

I installed one in my F250 a few months after I bought it. I will admit that I do have quite a bit of of experience with wiring and soldering, but it really ain't hard to learn. Just stay away from the plastic wire nuts and quickie wire connectors and you'll have a lifetime of use out of your truck.

As he said, no one will steal your truck (unless they have a forklift and a flatbed), but they can indeed tear up the inside! I also installed a cheap alarm for that. A stereo and a new ignition lock is cheap compared to replacing the truck.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
mpeck
Freshman User
Had the system installed on my 2007 KR Dually a week after I bought It.
You will forget the plug a few times but it the the best insurance aginst theft.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Ravelco installed in my '08, also have the factory alarm. But as mentioned, can't count on the alarm keeping the truck from being stolen. Had the local Ravelco dealer do the install at my place of employment. Took about 2.5 hours total and he was showing me how it works. Install is very clean and I had the socket installed down near the emergency brake so no holes in my dash.

If you decide to go for it, inquire whether they use AAA, my local dealer does so it saved me an additional 10% off the cost for having AAA. Standard cost is around $460 for my truck.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I liked MY price better!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
[QUOTE=BPofMD;8788645]A little research will enable you to install your OWN Revelco type anti-theft system. Then you will know what wiring/system was cut to install it. Parts will run you less than $50.00 and the experience will teach you all about your truck!

you have some more info on this?,please.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
[quote=ZBIGBIG19TH;8808482]
Originally Posted by BPofMD
A little research will enable you to install your OWN Revelco type anti-theft system. Then you will know what wiring/system was cut to install it. Parts will run you less than $50.00 and the experience will teach you all about your truck!

you have some more info on this?,please.
I am interested too

Sam

Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 AM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me to, more info please.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD

I installed one in my F250 a few months after I bought it. I will admit that I do have quite a bit of of experience with wiring and soldering, but it really ain't hard to learn. Just stay away from the plastic wire nuts and quickie wire connectors and you'll have a lifetime of use out of your truck.

As he said, no one will steal your truck (unless they have a forklift and a flatbed), but they can indeed tear up the inside! I also installed a cheap alarm for that. A stereo and a new ignition lock is cheap compared to replacing the truck.
You can't just throw this out there with more info.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked into becoming a revelco dealer. If I recall correctly, it is against their policy to sell the unit to someone with out installation.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Be careful about what is revealed in a public forum.

Though the "coding" of the plug is different for each truck, just like the ignition key, what they do to disable the rigs is pretty-much the same.

If you know what they do, it's easily defeated by the knowledgeable.

It's "security through obscurity", but in the security world they add, "which is no security at all".

Pop

Quick Reply: Ravelco system