1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Crate Motor Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM
perrymedik
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AX - I'm diggin' your idea! I must admit, I'm a little lost in the jargon (long block vs short block) as well as T-5.

Giving the current engine and 3 speed with Granny, how fast could I reasonably assume the truck would go at a reasonable RPM if I only changed out the rear end? Or is it a must to change the tranny and the Rear. I'm Okay with changing both, just looking at the options, and learing (definatly learning). Again, the fewer changes, the less to go wrong, the quicker I get it back on the road.

55 f350 - Where are you getting your parts for the engine rebuild from? Did you opt to stay with a 6v system or did you do something to step up to a 12v sys or go 12v down to 6v for certian items. If i'm not making sense, let me know and I'll expalain myself better.

So I guess at this point the question would be - Does anyone make any good rebuild kits, and if so, what would you all recommend?

Thanks for all the good gouge! You all Rock!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
No it won't help the final top speed, but changing the tranny for one with a higher 1st gear will make driving a much more pleasant experience by not having the engine roaring and needing to shift to second at 10 MPH and 10 ft from where you started. The 1st gear was for starting out pulling a heavy load or running a PTO. A lot of the HD 3speed truck trannies from that era were not syncromesh in any gear either.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not rebuilding my flatty . just changing some valvesprings as they are weak after umpteen million heat cycles . the head gaskets were seeping and they would've had to be pulled to do the springs any way . try reds , john mummert , egge for the parts for your y block . i got a 292 sitting that is my " backup " in case the flatty was to say to h-ll with it . it needs rebuilt , but it's on the back burner right now . the po did a really hacked up botch job at a 12 volt conversion which i didn't help any . so it's goin to be rewired from stem to stern and the generator has been converted and i bought all new 12 volt gauges from mid fifties and the corresponding sending units . also have cut down a ch-v- points dizzy that's getting converted over to electronic for my ignition , and i am gonna be running a rochester 2 jet carb next time round here in a bit . blew my toy money on another vehicle for now so the t5 parts and the brakes have to wait yet again ............................... unless your gonna build an out and out hot rod don't expect 'em to ever be fast . sit back and relax a bit and enjoy the old girl for what she is and make a few mods for everday driving . i continually come up with hairbrained ideas and got the beginnings of another truck for the " hot rod " i want and finally got my head on straight with bessie !!!!!!!!!!p.s. y blocks and flatty's aren't cheap engines but you can't beat 'em for the cool factor .

Old 04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by perrymedik
Good Morning everyone!

I am contemplating swaping the original Motor out of my 54 F-250 for a crate motor.

Does anyone have any recomendations for what kind of motor to use? I would like something that would require the least amount of modifications to the frame. I may eventually rebuild the original engin and put it back in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cory
Well, it'd be nice to know What engine came w/ your truck originally, I6 or Y-Block? As swapping in a late model I-6 can be easier than Swapping in a late model V-8 for a Y-Block due to Trans & Engine mount issues.
But, if the Original engine runs fine or you wish to bring it back to factory specs or even make it a Runner, keeping it is All Ways your best bet!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Have you tried looking at City Motor Supply? I just received my short-block from them. Previously, I bought my Camaro v6 form them to put into my Fiero about 5 years ago and it still runs great!

Remanufactured Engines by City Motor Supply - Domestic and Import

Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Short block: main mechanical portion of the engine comprising the block, crankshaft, bearings, pistons, connecting rods, timing chain and camshaft. It does not typically include the heads, oil pan oil pump, intake manifold/carb, distributor, valve lifters, water pump timing chain cover or any electrical or accessories.
Long block: short block plus complete heads installed with pushrods rocker arms valve covers installed. also typically includes intake manifold, timing chain cover, oil pump and oil pan, possibly flywheel.
Does not include distributor, carburator, water pump, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, starter or electrical. Each rebuilder or manufacturer's long block may be equipped slightly differently so you need to ask for a complete list of what is included.
Crate motor: similar to long block, but everything is new. Typically does not include carb or distributor.
Ready to run: Includes complete engine except for charging system parts, brackets and accessories.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
T-5: Tremec 5 speed manual transmission (5th gear is overdrive). A transmission that has been used by several OEM manufacturers including Ford and GM in various versions in their front engine/rear wheel drive vehicles. Two main versions were an early (weaker) version and a later (stronger) version often refered to as the "world" version. It has a built in rail style floor shifter, so no aftermarket shifter is needed. There are two different tailshaft assemblies that interchange which move the shifter location forwards or back, with the forwards position more suited to our trucks with bench seats (otherwise the shifter would be located under the seat or between the seats with buckets) They are becoming more common in junk yards.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
perrymedik
Freshman User
If I were to change to the T-5 transmission, then that would mean I would loose the current shifter on the steering column, correct?

I would prefer to keep that feature. If I were to just swap out the transmission for one that is in another 54 Ford Car, I would still be able to keep this, correct?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
true on the shifter but you would pick up a full syncro 5 speed with OD. All T5's and T-56's have built in floor shifters. The car tranny would give you syncro 2,3 3 speed. The problem with it is finding a good one or the parts to rebuild a 50 year old tranny.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
55F250
Tuned
Your 54

Originally Posted by perrymedik
Ax,

I've known from the time I got the Truck what I wanted to do with it. Restore it so that It can be used as a nearly daily driver (good weather only). With that in mind I've already purchased a new front end suspension for it (Mustang ) from Charlie Led a while ago. I wanted to have the better power steering, disc brakes, etc, as safety/convienence features. I also intend on swaping out the rear end since, as it is only a 3 speed, I can't get close to high way speeds.

I had intended on rebuilding the engine from the start, but the idea of a create engine was brought up by a buddy of mine when I was taking the engine out of the frame the other day (getting ready to take the frame to get blasted and painted -seperate post).

For starters, I drove the truck off the lot when I bought it. Due to poor braking response, and a loose steering system, I trailered it home. All in all, from engine to drive train, it ran well.

I don't know how hard or practical it would be to rebuild the engin I already have. Honestly, I would be thrilled to do that instead. To go to a drive in car night, like the ones they have in El Cajon and pop the hood and still have the ORIGIONAL engine would be a point of pride to me. That being said, I have never rebuilt an engine before. I am very capable, just not experienced. I'd hate to get it all back together and find out that an engine that used to run, no longer runs, and it was all my fault. LOL! But aside from those doubts, the tech from the early 50's seems pretty straight forward. If I was able to successfully re-do the heads on my 02 Dodge Ram and then tow 12k LBS from San Diego to Virginia Beach, I think the rebuild of the 54 is within my reach. I just need a really good book, and yes, I do have the shop manual.

So the bottom line is, Knowledge and possibly Parts, that I am in need of.

But that's just my 2 cents. I yield the floor to more experienced minds and hands.

Looking forward to the input!
I sent you an email earlier, hope you got it, I have a 55f250, it started out all stock when I bought out in Washington state, 223 six, what a ride, any who, I have had a 69' 302 in it (to small) a 72' 351c (it would fly) and I'm gettin ready to drop a 76' 460 in it next (no subsitute cubic inches). I noticed you said you were putting in IFS, then you will be changing it from 8 lug to 5 lug correct? I'm keeping my old leaf spring set up for now. I did change the rear to a later DANA 60, the original was geared way to low as I guess yours is now. I have the 72' 351c and C4 trans for sale if interested and other parts if you interested, as I said in my email, I grew up in Norfolk

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM
55F250
Tuned
Wink Just my opinion/Keep it original

Not sure why I'm so concerned as to what you want to do with your truck, guess maybe you remind me of me when I was young and came across the truck I have now. It was all original,everything was there, had big idea's of makin it a "Hot Rod Truck", not something you do with a 3/4 ton truck. Did some dumb things, gave the original motor away, threw the trans in the dump, threw the bench seat away, now I kick myself in the butt every time I think about it. Looking back, I wish I had keep it the way it was. I didn't know at the time that I could get replacement parts for certain things, that was back before the computer and great sites like this. I have been to truck/car shows, I was at the F100 Super-Nats back in 1988, I was the only 1955 F250 there, had the 69' 302 in it then, with a trailer full of parts. I even entered my truck for the "Most unusual truck" a Dodge won, go figure, it's the F100 Super-Nats for cryin out loud, should have least got the "ugliest truck" award, and it was, if anyone was there then they will remember. There were some beautiful (FORD) trucks there, the ones that caught my eye were the "original" restored, somthing about the history is guess, you can spend a lot of money either way, resto-mod or original restoration, I personally think the truck would be worth more money wise and historically if kept original. Just my 2cents