Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Firestone ride-rite airbag install 08 F250

Well, got me a set of airbags on the back end of the truck to help with stability.

So here are some pics, pretty straight forward to do.

First two is what the bags look like installed:
Click the image to open in full size.

This one is the compressor. Since I have the short bed, I mounted it on the piece of steel in front of the tank

Now the tank, mounted under the drivers seat...

Here is the outside of the last pic. Outside air so you can air up tire, bikes

Inside the truck:

Guage is mounted on the hump since I don't have the cup holders there. I mounted it low as I don't need to touch them all the time. Dual controls, so I can adjust each bag on its own

last pic I just threw in there as to show how I got it all in the cab. Used the same pass thru as the shifter.

So easy enough for anyone to do.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Great pics, thanks for posting!

I want them but can't justify them yet. I don't have anything as heavy as your 5th wheel!

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Ruschejj gets some credit to...I had asked him how he liked his.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Yeah, I've seen his setup. This is when the jealousy set in! I've wanted them ever since I had my '07 F150. But I don't often spend money when I can't justify it...and I simply don't tow heavy things often enough!

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
i have that exact same setup in my truck...

just recently the electrical connectors on the pressure switch rotted off.. you might wanna coat that area in water proofing to prevent moisture.

even my mounting is in the same places as yours.

overall i REALLY like the system as a whole and have no complaints.

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 AM

I was thinking I would paint all the connections with some black paint.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Spray the fittings, connections, and the air bag hardware with Fluid Film. Don't paint them as the solvent in the paint can eat at the tubing.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeering View Post
Spray the fittings, connections, and the air bag hardware with Fluid Film. Don't paint them as the solvent in the paint can eat at the tubing.

thanks for the tip...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior User

Glenn Jenne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello Senix, what is the tongue weight of your fiver? I had the airbags in my F-350 (used Airlift instead of Firestone and they worked great). I got them just to take the little bit of sag out of the truck I noticed when I hitched up my fiver. My tongue weight is right at 2K. I have not hooked up the camper to the 450 I just bought yet, hoping I will not need the airbags for this truck. The back end is a lot "beefier" than the 350 was and I am hoping not a lot (if any) sag will occur when I hitch up.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM

my hitch wt comes in at about 2300 lbs. loaded with water and everything

Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM
New User

vairman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great Install - Need some help for similar install

Senix, thanks for the pictures of your install. This is just what I am doing. Where did you hook up the power? I do not have upfitter switch and want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any advise you can provide.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wire directly to the battery. This is not something that will draw unless you push the switch.

Keep wires and air tubing away from sharp edges and hot surfaces. Fluid Film on all fittings and connections.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks good, but IMHO mounting the compressor under the truck is asking for troubles.
I have the set, but never hardwired the compressor. I added cigarette plug to it and tire chuck, while the gauges have the air hose with tire valve on it.
It is not likely you need to adjust the airbags during the drive, so having portable compressor I can use it on my trailer wheels and other vehicles as well.
This is high quality compressor. The popular compressors sold in automotive places last for about one inflation of big tire.
BTW the Firestone gauges are not even. When I push both valves at the same time for the inflation, the needles come about 7 psi apart with equal pressure.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
i mounted my compressor behind my rear seat. its out of the elements.

2008 lariet 18" wheels*s&b air filter*5 star x2 tuner*front hidden hitch*6.0 trans cooler*autometer trans temp gauge*superlift leveling kit*rear firestone airbags*ARE cap*unity pillar spotlight
Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vairman View Post
Senix, thanks for the pictures of your install. This is just what I am doing. Where did you hook up the power? I do not have upfitter switch and want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any advise you can provide.
Will have to look again at which wire, but I found a power source under the dash with ignition on only that I am drawing from.

This allows the compressor to fill the tank as needed without the use of the upfitter switches.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM