Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dipstick leak

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick leak

Has anybody just tried to clean off the flange area with brake cleaner and then used a silicone mass to cover this flange from the outside to seal off a leak? After reading the proper procedure for replacement of the o-ring needless to say I get a cold sweat. My luck being as it is I KNOW I that flange would end up at the bottom of the oil pan. I was just going to try to bandaid the small leak by tring to seal it with massive amount of silicone first. Would this work? Has anybody tried this. I seem to be losing about a quart of oil every 300 to 400 miles. I changed oils the last oil change to Mobil Delvac instead of using my usual Rotella. Would changing to this oil cause consumption problems which Im not a aware of? Thinking of draining and putting back in Rotella 15-40. I have no oil in valley, no oil in coolant, no oil in fuel but I do see leaking around dipstick flange and possible drain plug. I did not put a new gasket on the drain plug last time so I think I will get a new gasket for that while Im at it. Is it possible to lose a quart of oil every 300 miles just by a leaking dipstick flange? Thanks for your advice in advance... Maxx

Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
On a related question. IF my oil consumption was due because of Turbo bearing seals gone bad or injector o ring problem would the truck exhaust be burning blue because of the oil? My truck shows no sign of blue smoke. It has 98,000 miles on it. Just confused as to why my oil level needs topping off after a few hundred miles? Maxx

Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I have changed that inner oring on mine and it really not that bad.Why dont you pull the dipstick tube and change that small oring on the end to see if your leak stops.It is a double bevel oring.My inner oring got pretty bad so I just changed it out and no more leak.

Search this Thread