1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin LTX M/S 2 Vibration

Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX M/S 2 Vibration

I got 6 Michelin LTX M/S 2 LT245/75R17 installed on my truck today. At slow speed it is smooth and quiet just like any Michelin. However right around ~40 mph. The truck is experiencing some serious vibration. Kinda like the vibrations where you need to resurface the brake rotor. Distinct left to right vibration on the steering wheel plus slight hopping from the rear. It feels like the sidewall of the tire are flexing side to side unneccesary or too bouncy. All tires are at 70psi. Above 70mph the vibration seem to slightly subside.

Anyone had the similar experience?

Prior to the Michelin the truck was smooth at all speed with Continental ContiTrac LT245/75R17.

My other thought is that TireKingdom does not have a clue how to properly balance dully rim/tires.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UaVaj
I got 6 Michelin LTX M/S 2 245/75R17 installed on my truck today. At slow speed it is smooth and quiet just like any Michelin. However right around ~40 mph. The truck is experiencing some serious vibration. Kinda like the vibrations where you need to resurface the brake rotor. Distinct left to right vibration on the steering wheel plus slight bumping from the rear. It feels like the sidewall of the tire are flexing side to side unneccesary. All tires are at 70psi. Above 60mph the vibration seem to subside.

Prior to the Michelin the truck was smooth at all speed with Continental ContiTrac 245/75R17.
I just put two on the front of my 08 F350, replacing Goodyear..
and the jounce I had is MUCH smaller.(90% reduction). I reduced the pressure down to 60, and it improved it quite a bit.. (not running with a load yet).
my major bounce area was between 65-75.. uncomfortable up/down, not side to side..

I recently put some Rancho 5000 shocks on (2wd), thinking I had a shock problem, truck is at 50,000 miles.. but I think the ranchos are worse than the ones I took off.. thinking of the Rancho 9000XL (for 2wd) adjustables..

so, I think maybe you got a bad balancing.. I had my goodyears balanced 3 times in 3 months, with widely varying weights used.. so I am not sure what is going on there..

Sam

Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 6 Michelin LTX M/S 2 LT245/75R17 installed on my truck today. At slow speed it is smooth and quiet just like any Michelin. However right around ~40 mph. The truck is experiencing some serious vibration. Kinda like the vibrations where you need to resurface the brake rotor. Distinct left to right vibration on the steering wheel plus slight bumping from the rear. It feels like the sidewall of the tire are flexing side to side unneccesary or too bouncy. All tires are at 70psi. Above 60mph the vibration seem to subside.

Prior to the Michelin the truck was smooth at all speed with Continental ContiTrac LT245/75R17.

My other thought is that TireKingdom does not have a clue how to properly balance dully rim/tires.
I bought a set of Michelin LTX A/S E rated 265/75 R17s from Tire Kingdom for my '05 2500 HD Ram last year. I had the same troubles. Two of the wheels had weights at like 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. We had them rebalanced at a shop out in the sticks as it was tiring to drive and ride in after 10 hours of towing our 5th wheel. They actually did a better job with just the spin balancer but they weren't perfect like the originals were. When we got back home, I didn't even feel like bothering with Tire Kingdom with the way they were balanced the first time. Why have them do it again... So I took it to Kauffman Tire over in St. Pete and had them rebalanced on the road force balancer. Finally they were balanced right. I'm not convinced that the bounce at 45-50mph in my F250 isn't tire balance as well. Superduty bounce my foot! I might take it to them and have them do the same to it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
motown
Senior User
I put a set on my truck and where real squirly at first. It took about 2 weeks and they seem to broken in.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had 3 sets on my F350, 2WD, smooth as silk, I'm thinking it's a balance or a bad tire>>it does happen.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 PM
bondobob65
Freshman User
I have the Michy's and I notice inflation pressure will change the ride quality 60-65 psi when unloaded has yielded the best balance of mileage and ride comfort. 75-85 when loaded or towing. When mine are "cold" they have a definite vibration that goes away after 5 miles.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 PM
bondobob65
Freshman User
Oh Yeah I put the Bilsteins on and that helped as well

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
TK swores it is not the Michelin. My local TK is using the normal way of balancing so they are sending me to another TK to get it Road Force balance.

Hopefully this cures my problem.

These Michelin are silky smooth. Not a hint of tire noise. Just got to get rid of the vibration.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I just had mine rebalanced over lunch, and they were off over an ounce each..
and Discount Tire said the same thing, almost never see an out of round, or flat spot with the Michelins..

SO MUCH better now!!..

Sam

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
TK totally sucks. TK and SuperDuty simply do NOT mix.

TK in the greater Miami area has ZERO clue how to properly balance a SuperDuty tire. After a second fail attempt. My local TK send me to the only TK in the Miami area with a Road Force (30 miles one way) only to be told that they are still unable to balance any SuperDuty tire and to get my money back.

WTF. They should of never taken my money in the first place knowing that they were unable to balance the tires. Now I am stuck with 6 tires from TK and no balancing. No way to return unless I want to run on rims without rubber.

Anyway - $220 poorer at Banner Tire - I am

Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by sdetweil
I just had mine rebalanced over lunch, and they were off over an ounce each..
and Discount Tire said the same thing, almost never see an out of round, or flat spot with the Michelins..

SO MUCH better now!!..

Sam

well, I put on a set of Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks to handle the last little bit of bounce, but just couldn't stand it.. while out today I stopped by a local truck tire shop.. and they do the balance beads inside the tire..

so I had them do it on the fronts.. WOW.. is really all I can say..

my wife noticed the difference later when we went down to the grocery store 15 miles each way..
I have a 400 mile drive this weekend, so I'll really have a feel after all that..

Sam

Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I have a 400 mile drive this weekend, so I'll really have a feel after all that..

Sam
I did the 400 mile drive yesterday, towing the trailer.. and its amazing.. no more shake at any speed.. found myself doing 75 with the trailer without evan noticing!

gonna have the beads installed in the rears too.. incredible.

also adjusted the rancho 9000xl shocks back to 4 from 6.

Sam

Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM
UaVaj
Senior User
Sam

Is it correct to say that the weights are inside the tire?

Did they balance the tire (to know where to mount the weight). Remove the tire. Install the weight inside the tire. Re-mount the tire. Then double check the balance.

Did they also road force the tires/rim to make sure it is near perfect round?

I don't mind the weights on the outside. But having the weights inside would be especially sleek on a show vehicle.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam

Is it correct to say that the weights are inside the tire?

Did they balance the tire (to know where to mount the weight). Remove the tire. Install the weight inside the tire. Re-mount the tire. Then double check the balance.

Did they also road force the tires/rim to make sure it is near perfect round?

I don't mind the weights on the outside. But having the weights inside would be especially sleek on a show vehicle.
these are little round ceramic beads.. size of a pencil eraser diameter.

they pulled the weights off the outside.. don't need em anymore..
pulled the tire, popped one side open, dropped a bag of beads inside, remounted the one side, aired it up and spun it on the balancer to dump the bag.

they auto balance all the time..

these were brand new Michelin MS/2.. (300 miles)

Sam

Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Thomas D.
Senior User
these are little round ceramic beads.. size of a pencil eraser diameter.

they pulled the weights off the outside.. don't need em anymore..
pulled the tire, popped one side open, dropped a bag of beads inside, remounted the one side, aired it up and spun it on the balancer to dump the bag.

they auto balance all the time..

these were brand new Michelin MS/2.. (300 miles)

Sam
Can the "Bead" balancing be done with TMS's? I have heard both "yes" & "no" from tire shops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin LTX M/S 2 Vibration