1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pics of my fuel system...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Chase is correct, it's the dipstick tube from a SD. I was also going to put the oil dipstick tube from a SD on, but accidently put the old flange back on the oil pan. The OBS flange puts the tube almost straight up, whereas, the SD one angles it more to the front. Oh well.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by strokersace
Chase is correct, it's the dipstick tube from a SD. I was also going to put the oil dipstick tube from a SD on, but accidently put the old flange back on the oil pan. The OBS flange puts the tube almost straight up, whereas, the SD one angles it more to the front. Oh well.
Ok, thank to both of you; I have other questions:
1.- the SD tranny oil dipstick tube is bolt-on?
2.- If you change the SD motor oil dispstick tube, you need to change the flange in the oil pan? if not, it wont work?
3.- do you have the # parts of them?, and do you think that IH dealer could sell them (#part IH number)?
Im asking because Im going to install the IC, and I think that its a good idea to change thouse dipstick tubes for facility, I already installed the SD tube to fill the motor with oil.

Thanks again, and sorry to hijack this thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Ok, thank to both of you; I have other questions:
1.- the SD tranny oil dipstick tube is bolt-on?
2.- If you change the SD motor oil dispstick tube, you need to change the flange in the oil pan? if not, it wont work?
3.- do you have the # parts of them?, and do you think that IH dealer could sell them (#part IH number)?
Im asking because Im going to install the IC, and I think that its a good idea to change thouse dipstick tubes for facility, I already installed the SD tube to fill the motor with oil.

Thanks again, and sorry to hijack this thread
No thread hijack. Good questions.

1. Yes it's a direct bolt-on/changeover. It slips into the same lower tube on the tranny but uses the upper pass side trans mount bolt to hold it in place instead of the back of the block. You just need a new tube and new SD dipstick.

2. Correct, the flanges are different between the OBS and SD oil dipstick tubes. The OBS points it almost straight up, whereas, the SD point at an angle towards the front. The only way to change the flange out is to pull the pan since it mounts from the inside. I was told that the oil pan I got to replace my other one with was from an 02 so when I compared the dipstick flange between it and the one from my 95, they were the same. It wasn't until the motor was back in and I was trying to make the SD tube work, that I realized the flange I'd used was from an OBS. So unfortunately, I still have to dig my oil dipstick out from under my I/C pipe.

3. Unfortunately no IH part #'s. I got both my dipstick tubes and dipsticks from my local ford dealership.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent description Travis!!

Had I bought an AirDog2, then it would have been alot cleaner, but I'm a sucker for overkill!! The fuel line is actually all 3/8" Parker 836 push-loc hose. The only 1/2" is around the AirDog. It's 3/8" from the tank to the selector valve, then 3/8" to 1/2" with a union in the middle to go into the AD. From the AD to the Walbro it's 1/2", then out the pump to the rest of the system it's back to 3/8" into the top of the ITP bowl delete block.

I chose to not go any bigger than 3/8" because of many conversations I had with Brian and Cale at BTS concerning line size. The idea that bigger is better is somewhat of a myth when it comes to the fuel lines on out trucks. If you look at that actual flow ratings of the various sizes in relation to what the injectors can actually use/consume, you really don't need huge lines to make big power. Hell, when Cale destroyed his block at somewhere around 800+ rwhp he was still using 1/4" lines on his regulated return.

As for my fittings, I purchased all of the black one from JEGS. The red/blue ones I got local at a race/performance shop. I could have gotten the exact same ones cheaper from JEGS but didn't realized I needed them until after I had already ordered!
Ryan, you know more about these AD units than i do. what kind of pressures/volume can these AD's and AD2's actually handle? it seems that they are low pressure setups to me. in other words it looks like they do flow good volume at low pressure, but not really at higher pressure like 70psi. this probably isn't much worry b/c we regulate it on the return side, but can we run say 300cc injectors on a single AD or AD2 or would it be a better idea to run the AD2 as a pre pump/air seperator, then through a walbro or dual SD pump setup through 3/8" and 1/2" lines? i'm thinking for the future b/c i don't think running my fuel system through the stock steel lines is going to provide the fuel i'm going to need w/ bigger injectors..

Also, which way do you feel would truely work better, running a single feed to the rear driver side, cross it to the front passenger then return off the back passenger or the way you did it splitting the feed line to the fronts and return off both back ports? it seems like they would both have similar or same results to me.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

No thread hijack. Good questions.

1. Yes it's a direct bolt-on/changeover. It slips into the same lower tube on the tranny but uses the upper pass side trans mount bolt to hold it in place instead of the back of the block. You just need a new tube and new SD dipstick.

2. Correct, the flanges are different between the OBS and SD oil dipstick tubes. The OBS points it almost straight up, whereas, the SD point at an angle towards the front. The only way to change the flange out is to pull the pan since it mounts from the inside. I was told that the oil pan I got to replace my other one with was from an 02 so when I compared the dipstick flange between it and the one from my 95, they were the same. It wasn't until the motor was back in and I was trying to make the SD tube work, that I realized the flange I'd used was from an OBS. So unfortunately, I still have to dig my oil dipstick out from under my I/C pipe.

3. Unfortunately no IH part #'s. I got both my dipstick tubes and dipsticks from my local ford dealership.
Ryan, Thanks a lot. So they are a exclusive FORD parts? or you dont know the IH part #´s?, and do you have the FORD part #´s?.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Ryan, you know more about these AD units than i do. what kind of pressures/volume can these AD's and AD2's actually handle? it seems that they are low pressure setups to me. in other words it looks like they do flow good volume at low pressure, but not really at higher pressure like 70psi. this probably isn't much worry b/c we regulate it on the return side, but can we run say 300cc injectors on a single AD or AD2 or would it be a better idea to run the AD2 as a pre pump/air seperator, then through a walbro or dual SD pump setup through 3/8" and 1/2" lines? i'm thinking for the future b/c i don't think running my fuel system through the stock steel lines is going to provide the fuel i'm going to need w/ bigger injectors..

Also, which way do you feel would truely work better, running a single feed to the rear driver side, cross it to the front passenger then return off the back passenger or the way you did it splitting the feed line to the fronts and return off both back ports? it seems like they would both have similar or same results to me.

The problem I'd see with running your fuel lines that way on the motor would be that the fuel would have to travel completely thru the driver's head before it got to the pass side. I think it'd be better to bring one supply line up to the motor and split it before it ever enters the motor. It doesn't really matter if you supply the front or back of the heads first but by using a "y" it sends fuel to each head equally. And thats what you'd want. Then by having the return lines from both heads coming back into 1 regulator, you regulate both heads exactly the same. But you could always try it the way you described and see what happens?!?!

As for the AD questions, I'll do my best to answer them. The original AD as I used is strictly a LOW pressure lift pump to be used in conjunction with a high pressure pump. By itself, it'll only put out about 10psi, but is a lift pump pre high pressure pump like the Walbro I'm running. The AD2 has a HIGH pressure pump integrated into it so there is no need for another fuel pump. It's a complete package - filtration and high pressure pump in ONE. They are capable of flowing IIRC 150 gallons per hour at high pressures (60-70 psi) that the powerstroke needs.

To have enough fuel pressure for larger injectors it depends on your pump. If the pump doesn't have the flow capabilities it needs to feed those big injectors, then you'll loose pressure. But if you're running a Fuelab, Walbro, Aeromotive, etc high performance high pressure pump, then it'll get the fuel pressure to the heads the injectors need. With my setup, if I notice that the Walbro isn't keeping the pressure constant at WOT, then I can change it out for something bigger that flows more. The AD2, though, already has that high performance high pressure pump built in that is capable of supplying the injectors what they need. At least I think anyway. If the injectors are so big that pressure is dropping off, then I guess you could run another pump after it to be safe.

Again, from what I've read/heard the hype of large fuel lines being a neccessity for larger injectors isn't what it's cracked up to be. The issue of having the right amount of fuel pressure and flow at the heads isn't so much determined by the line size, but by the pump and it's capabilities. Most of the line size talk and wanting them to be larger is because these aftermarket high performance pumps recommend them to be 1/2" or 5/8" from the tank to run at full efficiency. So the flow of the stock lines is fine, it's the electric pump pushing fuel thru those lines that's the most important.

So even with 300cc injectors, with the right pump and standard 3/8" lines, I'd just about bet you'll be just fine. My Hypermax oil modded stage 2's flow right at 200cc's with 100% nozzles. Had them and the same regulated return system in my old SD. Line size from the tank to the motor was 3/8". The only difference was I was NOT using an AD and was just running the stock SD fuel pump. At WOT, I'd loose about 4 to 5 psi. By upgrading pumps alone, I wouldn't have seen any drop. On this truck with the same injectors and reg return, still 3/8" line throughout, along with the AD and Walbro, I haven't seen a drop in pressure yet.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Ryan, Thanks a lot. So they are a exclusive FORD parts? or you dont know the IH part #´s?, and do you have the FORD part #´s?.
I can get you the ford part #'s, but don't have them. I don't know for sure, but I'd say they are exlusive ford parts because they are designed for the 4R100 tranny and having the Ford SD body over it. Meaning it's shape/contour is specifically for the SD body. The oil dipstick tube is likely the same way because IH set their accessories up a little differently that the ford pickups. There's a change that the oil tube was changed across the board on all T444's Ford and IH, but I don't know for sure.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Ryan, could you loosen the nut on the outside of the pan and rotate the OBS flange forward to make the SD tube work? I'm sure you thought of that already and would have done it had it been a good option but I had to ask

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
No because there's a notch in the pan that corresponds with a tab on the flange so that it will not rotate when tightening down.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
The problem I'd see with running your fuel lines that way on the motor would be that the fuel would have to travel completely thru the driver's head before it got to the pass side. I think it'd be better to bring one supply line up to the motor and split it before it ever enters the motor. It doesn't really matter if you supply the front or back of the heads first but by using a "y" it sends fuel to each head equally. And thats what you'd want. Then by having the return lines from both heads coming back into 1 regulator, you regulate both heads exactly the same. But you could always try it the way you described and see what happens?!?!

As for the AD questions, I'll do my best to answer them. The original AD as I used is strictly a LOW pressure lift pump to be used in conjunction with a high pressure pump. By itself, it'll only put out about 10psi, but is a lift pump pre high pressure pump like the Walbro I'm running. The AD2 has a HIGH pressure pump integrated into it so there is no need for another fuel pump. It's a complete package - filtration and high pressure pump in ONE. They are capable of flowing IIRC 150 gallons per hour at high pressures (60-70 psi) that the powerstroke needs.

To have enough fuel pressure for larger injectors it depends on your pump. If the pump doesn't have the flow capabilities it needs to feed those big injectors, then you'll loose pressure. But if you're running a Fuelab, Walbro, Aeromotive, etc high performance high pressure pump, then it'll get the fuel pressure to the heads the injectors need. With my setup, if I notice that the Walbro isn't keeping the pressure constant at WOT, then I can change it out for something bigger that flows more. The AD2, though, already has that high performance high pressure pump built in that is capable of supplying the injectors what they need. At least I think anyway. If the injectors are so big that pressure is dropping off, then I guess you could run another pump after it to be safe.
wow, i guess you can type!! haha. the way my fuel system is set up it runs a single line to the rear driver side port then crosses over to the other side with a single return line coming off the passenger side rear port. using a single SD fuel pump i do see a little fuel pressure drop if i just free rev it hard. no telling what the drop is while running down the road. i'm going to guess it's not too bad based off of my power curves from all the dyno runs i've made since the install. when i do more to the truck then i may try out a fuel lab w/ the feed lines split to the fronts of the heads just to see how it does. my guess is that it will do about the same. i guess i'd have to have a "Y" after the regulator to go back to a single line on the return, but that's relatively easy and then a "Y" to put an AD in there too. i like the idea of running an AD in there simply to get the air out.

One more question and i will leave ya alone. haha. How much does your AD flow??

Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
No because there's a notch in the pan that corresponds with a tab on the flange so that it will not rotate when tightening down.
I wonder if a guy could find some similar size tubing some place and DIY a dipstick tube that mounts like the SD one... some brake line tubing perhaps?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Question

I can get you the ford part #'s, but don't have them. I don't know for sure, but I'd say they are exlusive ford parts because they are designed for the 4R100 tranny and having the Ford SD body over it. Meaning it's shape/contour is specifically for the SD body. The oil dipstick tube is likely the same way because IH set their accessories up a little differently that the ford pickups. There's a change that the oil tube was changed across the board on all T444's Ford and IH, but I don't know for sure.
Okey dokey. thanks.

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Ryan, could you loosen the nut on the outside of the pan and rotate the OBS flange forward to make the SD tube work? I'm sure you thought of that already and would have done it had it been a good option but I had to ask
Looking at this pic, you can see a double notch, and Im pretty sure is what fuperduty4x4 was thinking, so I thing that you can put the flange in two positions, right?, did you tried it?, or it wasnt enougth. BTW the oil tube of the SD is the same size as the OBS oil tube?

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Okey dokey. thanks.

Looking at this pic, you can see a double notch, and Im pretty sure is what fuperduty4x4 was thinking, so I thing that you can put the flange in two positions, right?, did you tried it?, or it wasnt enougth. BTW the oil tube of the SD is the same size as the OBS oil tube?
IIRC it can only go in one position. in other words on the SD flange that tooth that sticks up in those 2 slots is clocked in a different position to face it upward a little more. i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure thats how it is.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
The problem with running your fuel though one head and then crossing over to the other is that the second head will have lower pressure fuel due to the consumption from the other head.

The pump then works on filling the missing fuel in the first head before it can pressurize the second head with more fuel.

Think of it like electricity.

Series and parallel.
When you run lights in series, each one gets less power, if you run them parallel, they both get equal power.

*takes a bow*

Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
William, you are a gentleman and a scholar

Quick Reply: Pics of my fuel system...