Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 7.3 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:50 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 No Start

Hope to get help. Ive got a 2002 F350 No Start. Batt voltage good. Checked all fuses under dash. Checked IDM Relay and ECM Relay under dash. Put an IPR Valve on i had a new one laying in the shop from a side job id done. Ive Got fuel pressure. Truck will run on brake/carb cleaner. I put the 2002 CPS in my 2001 IHC T444E truck and it started up. So i eliminated the CPS being Bad. When cranking the RPM s dont come up on the tach and my snapon scanner is only showing 156 rpm but the engine is spinning over way faster than that. No smoke from the exhaust when cranking. ICP pressure is only 140psi when cranking but i can disconnect the icp and it spikes to 2260psi. but rpms still only show 156rpm. I am thinking IDM Or Computer? No codes only when un plug icp. I had a few codes after it ran on the brake clean but i cleared them out after words and they didnt come back uless it runs with the brake clean. Bottom line is something is keeping the inj's from firing . checked hpop tank its full of oil. Last time this truck ran it started up and was runinng rough went about 10 miles gradually getting worse untill it just quit running.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The tachs on the 2002's don't move when cranking. This is normal due to the different tach input used on the 02-03 models vs. the 99-01's.

There is something going on that is telling the PCM not to fire the injectors. Did you try the CPS from the T444E in your 2002?

Any other codes that are popping up?

Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
i didnt try the t444e cps in the 2002. The IHC Truck is at home but i had 2 different CPS that i tried in the 2002 no start. Both of them worked in the IHC. No other codes.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Have you inspected the connector over the DS valve cover and associated wiring for chaffing? Do you have a chip in the truck? Do all the "normal" lights light prior to cranking? Do you know the voltage while cranking?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:40 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
at first glance wiring appears ok maybe needs looked at more, batterys are brand new and had a charger hooked up just to keep them fully charged while diagnosing, no chip just stock truck glow plug light cycles on when key comes on wait a few 2nds in goes out check engine light comes on when key comes on. when cranking glow plug light is on and egine light is on.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 00SvtLightning
at first glance wiring appears ok maybe needs looked at more, batterys are brand new and had a charger hooked up just to keep them fully charged while diagnosing, no chip just stock truck
I know it would be hard to believe that a new battery could be bad, but it's happened. One bad cell and you could be right where your at. Truck needs to see 10V while cranking or the IDM won't fire the injectors. Don't know if you have an automatic, but the OD momentary switch wire in the column can short out and cause a no start also. (Usually accompanied by a loss of some of your warning lights on the dash, aka fuse blown)

Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
its turning over like a **** like i said the snap on scanner says its only turning 156 rpm. but its spinning over faster than that plus i had the charger hooked to it

Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
ICP pressure is only 140psi when cranking
This is your problem. Unless you've got a mechanical gauge on there, then you cannot trust any readings your scanner gives you after the ICP is unplugged. If you've really only got 140 psi of ICP, then your injectors won't fire. You need to find your high pressure oil leak. You need 500 psi min. for the injectors to fire.

Assuming the engine oil is full and the newer IPR is working, have you checked the wiring on the IPR to make sure it's not chaffed or the insulation isn't brittle? Can you monitor IPR duty % while cranking? Is there any oil in the bottom of your fuel filter bowl?

If you've got the parts, stick a 3,000 psi gauge in one head and block off the high pressure oil line to the other head. See what kind of pressure you get while cranking. Keep in mind it may start on only one bank, so if you don't want it firing up on half the cylinders disconnect the CPS or pull a fuse. If one bank builds pressure and the other does not, time for injector o-rings.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
This is your problem. Unless you've got a mechanical gauge on there, then you cannot trust any readings your scanner gives you after the ICP is unplugged. If you've really only got 140 psi of ICP, then your injectors won't fire. You need to find your high pressure oil leak. You need 500 psi min. for the injectors to fire.

Assuming the engine oil is full and the newer IPR is working, have you checked the wiring on the IPR to make sure it's not chaffed or the insulation isn't brittle? Can you monitor IPR duty % while cranking? Is there any oil in the bottom of your fuel filter bowl?

If you've got the parts, stick a 3,000 psi gauge in one head and block off the high pressure oil line to the other head. See what kind of pressure you get while cranking. Keep in mind it may start on only one bank, so if you don't want it firing up on half the cylinders disconnect the CPS or pull a fuse. If one bank builds pressure and the other does not, time for injector o-rings.
Its got new injectors installed. Had a hard start problem for a long time when it finally craped out this last time i figured it was a good time for injectors so those are new and it still doesnt run. What i cant figure out is if i am only getting 156 rpms showing from the scanner while cranking then the icp is going to lower than 500PSI at cranking? What is the cranking rpm suppost to be?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Its got new injectors installed. Had a hard start problem for a long time when it finally craped out this last time i figured it was a good time for injectors so those are new and it still doesnt run. What i cant figure out is if i am only getting 156 rpms showing from the scanner while cranking then the icp is going to lower than 500PSI at cranking? What is the cranking rpm suppost to be?
You need 100 rpm min for the truck to start or to build your 500 psi. RPM's sound fine.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
There is something limiting the ICP. It does the same thing when you have a bad CPS, the PCM will hold ICP low to prevent the injectors from firing. If the PCM was trying to fire the injectors, ICP pressures would continue to rise as you crank the truck.

So something is wrong, the PCM sees it, and it's not letting the injectors fire.

How long do you crank? Have you tried extended cranking for 10-15 seconds? If not, here's something to do. Clear all codes, crank the engine for 10-15 seconds (make sure the starter is cool before you do), then recheck for codes. See if anything new pops up.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
i tried that ive cranked on it for 20 to 25 secs. when it runs on the brake clean the icp pressure comes up 700 to 1100. But the injectors never fire still no fuel smoke when running on brake clean. So could it be like you say and something electric keeping the icp pressure low? I get the pressure up but still injectors dont appear to be firing. i was thinking of doing the block off test with the lines this weekend. i

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
No codes?????

That extended cranking should have triggered a code. If not, I would be extremely surprised.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
update hooked up a manual gage and still only have around 200 icp took a couple of cranks at about 10 sec each to get it too build that much. blocked off the hpop lines one at a time and got the same pressure from each side around 200 icp . ipr% was showing 15 with key on. Cranked engine over for 10 secs or so and it came up to 65 and held. I think its my HPOP is bad? Does it look like the ipr readings are in spec?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
The IPR numbers look in spec. The problem is I don't know if it's showing the actual duty cycle or if it's just showing what duty cycle the PCM is calling for. If blocking off each head individually gives you the same 200 psi, then you've either got an IPR or an HPOP issue. (or you're almost out of oil)

Is there anything visual wrong with your HPOP or do you have any oil leaks? Is the tin nut snug on the back of the IPR?

Quick Reply: 2002 7.3 No Start