1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What size wire???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Oakroadjoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size wire???

Converting my 49 to 12 volt/ Got the info.from julies thread,but what size wire is best. From ign.switch to starter button,and starter button to starter solenoid?? Also i am using 1 gauge from starter to solenoid,is it necessary to use 1 gauge, battery to solenoid & bat.to gnd.??

Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump to top.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh let me see if I can remember them all for 12 volt.

Ok from small to large:

Gauges, dash and interior lights 16 AWG.

Heater, radio, wipers, tail and brake lights, parking lights, horn button to relay, 14 AWG.

Headlights, horns (power to relay; from the relay to horn) 12 AWG.

Alternator to Hot Bus to Ignition Switch to Start Solenoid 10 AWG (for alternator less than 100 amps or 8 AWG if 100 amps or more). Ignition switch to Switched Bus 10 AWG.

If you are using electric fans 10 AWG - Electric Fuel pump 12 AWG

Starter Solenoid to Starter, Positive Battery Post to starter solenoid - Large battery type cable. Negative Battery Post to Engine - large battery type cable. Engine to frame, large battery type cable or 1" woven grounding strap. Cab to frame 1" woven grounding strap. Front clip to frame 1/2 inch woven grounding strap.

Did I forget anything?

Edit note: Only forgot to answer the question - DOY. 14 AWG is fine from power (ignition switch ACC post) to starter button, then on to the solenoid small "S" post. Two post start button, right?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Joe,

The correct wire size you need..in any individual circuit...is determined by the electrical "load" of that particular circuit,and the size wire you use needs to "carry" that amount of current with a margin of safety...(ie)without melting...that said,..yes, you will need a large diameter,1.0-00 wire for the B+ terminal of the battery to the start solenoid..then from the other side of the start solenoid to the starter...this circuit(the starter motor) will draw the 'maximum' current,"in your vehicle when starting"..and the 1.0-00 wire should carry things well
You also will need the "same" size on the ground side of the circuit..because your "completing" the circuit.In a perfect world you could use less,because the 12v is "supposed" to be consumed by the starter..but we know things never go perfect.
Better to be safe than sorry,also don't forget you will need a ground cable from the engine to chassis (frame),Battery B- to frame,and a cab to frame ground.
As for the ignition swx to start solenoid,that depends on how many amps that circuit will draw..I suspect 12-14 ga...but you may get by with less..what did the original 6v system use?Whatever size the 6v system was should be fine..that circuit only operates a solenoid right?.. Again better safe that sorry.. Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Julie,
WoW! ..What do you do..dream of this stuff all the time??
Your a living, breathing tech manual..LoL!..

BTW, Nice job on the trailer..that thing looks Cool behind your truck

Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmoritz
Julie,
WoW! ..What do you do..dream of this stuff all the time??
Your a living, breathing tech manual..LoL!..

BTW, Nice job on the trailer..that thing looks Cool behind your truck
Thanks Mertz!

No, you guys just haven't figured out yet that I just make all this stuff up!

Tee hee! (kidding)

Photographic memory, and just about every book I can get my hands on!

After you answer these electrical questions for the 7th or 8th time you remember it - so it helps me to answer stuff too!

I was at C&G about a week ago still dressed from work, and a guy was looking for a 51 F1 Wiring diagram. C&G was out so I drew one out from memory.

The poor guy was in absolute shock.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Oakroadjoe
Senior User
Thanks to all

Thank you all that replied,Yes julie it was a bit more than i needed,BUT never too much.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yep, I do that so other folks who may have a similar question about wire sizes have the answer to refer to as well. And if something has been asked for the first time, I save the thread to post later when it gets asked again!

I know