Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Junior User

M.Farragher is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear turbo pedestal bolt

Can anyone give me a tip on how to remove the rear turbo pedestal bolt on a 2003 6 liter. Cab is in place, and for the life of me, I cannot see how to get a wrench on it. I came in over the output tube, from the passenger side, and got a ratchet on it, but no room to turn it. No can do from the drivers side. Any suggestions? Am doing my EGR delete, and gotta get the turbo off.

thanks in advance.

'03 F450 CC 4X4 6.0, Bradford Built flat bed, 196K, Bone stock
'80 Int'l Scout Terra, Cummins 4bt powered, Ford ZF 5 speed
'91 Audi 200 TQA
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Junior User

still stuck

Somewhere on here I read "walk away when you get frustrated". So far I've done more walking away than wrenching today. The difficulty I am having with this one bolt is getting it to brake loose with the the tiny amount of leverage I am able to bring to bare on the problem. I can get a standard 3/8" drive ratchet on it, but only have about 5 degrees of movement, and no way to put any pressure on it. A box wrench will fit in there, but once again, only the short ones. I read where someone on here claimed to be able to do it with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Tried that too. Same thing, no leverage. Darn thing just won't break loose. Doesn't look like it can be reached from a creeper below, either. Triflo is all over this and other bolts to see if they can be coaxed off.

Any suggestions?

'91 Audi 200 TQA
Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
10mm 6 pt wrench, a 36" long pipe and a hammer, a second set of hands.

put the wrench on the bolt, line the pipe up with the end of the wrench and have someone wack the other end of the pipe with the hammer. also the pipe will go in from the passanger side,O ya watch your fingers.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Junior User

Ahhhhh...!

Yes. That is effectively how I did it, except no second set of hands, and no pipe. I put a larger longer open end wrench up against the oped end of the 10mm, which came uot into an accessible point just above the turbo, and gave it one whack, very carefully. Popped it loose. Thanks for the input. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go see the chiropractor. Clearly engine work on these trucks was intended to be done with the cab off. Just out of curiosity, how long doe is take to lift the cab in an appropriately equipped facility?

'91 Audi 200 TQA
Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
I have yet to find a practical reason to lift a cab on a 6.0. the engine can be on the ground in 4 hours, or heads off in frame in less then 5.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Senior User

desertt5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It took me over 2 hours to get that same bolt off. LOTS of cussing, beer, and little patience is what it took for me.
00 F150 5.4
Semper Fi
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
and I have a time stamped photo from Cheezit to prove it!!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Elder User

1957F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have used this wrench at work when changing turbos and have never really had a problem.

1957 Ford F100 - 302 w/ C4. Work in Progress...

1993 Ford F250 4x4 - 7.3L Diesel, ZF 5 Speed...Sold!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
If you have an E series van, that bolt would be the easy one
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior User

ehgeeray is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I did my work I removed the radiator and fan/stator assembly. After this stuff is removed you can stand in there between the motor and front grill... of course this depends on how big you are....
Vehicle: 2004.5 Ford F250 SRW - FX4 Crew, EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs, (Black ONYX Gaskets) Replaced with Stock Gaskets, Coolant Filter, Updated Turbo drain & feed lines, Glowshift Gauges: Boost, Fuel Pressure, EGT, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, Gearhead Tunes (SRL++)
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Junior User

Great idea

I am headed for the the intercooler, so taking the radiator out has to happen. Putting on the crank case vent filter, and want to clean out all of the old oil. I think I'll do that next.

'91 Audi 200 TQA
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Junior User

You can get all of the head bolts out without having the cab off, or removing the engine?

'91 Audi 200 TQA
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Spray it with penetrating oil at least a few hours before, I did the day before. Use a 6 pt wrench or 6 point socket if you have room. I was laying on the engine with an arm around each side of the turbo, put the wrench in and got it seated with my left arm on passenger side, then did the grunt work with my right hand stuffed through a small space on the driver's side. Done it twice this way, first time used a wrench, second time used a socket, either way be sure it's a 6-point so you don't round off the bolt head.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Postmaster

KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
10mm 6 pt wrench, a 36" long pipe and a hammer, a second set of hands.

put the wrench on the bolt, line the pipe up with the end of the wrench and have someone wack the other end of the pipe with the hammer. also the pipe will go in from the passanger side,O ya watch your fingers.

That is how i removed mine.
K40 2000 Radar & Laser 48 Gal fuel tank-Pioneer AVIC-D3,3 amps,12' sub, DVD, TV in headrests
JOIN NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
I have yet to find a practical reason to lift a cab on a 6.0. the engine can be on the ground in 4 hours, or heads off in frame in less then 5.
After having done it both ways I found it was a lot easier to do heads cab off in frame than pulling the motor (unless you have more work to do to the engine internals). I have a Ford Tech friend of mine that has done a set of heads in 6.5 hours (he averages 8) and that's from pulling it in the bay to driving it out. That's at a dealership (and verified). He's done over 500 6.0 head gasket jobs since they've been out.

I realize that it's a personal preference for everyone and MOST people don't have a way to remove a cab.

Do you remove the whole front end to get the motor out cause engine on the ground in 4 hours is definitely smoking fast.

To the original subject: Aren't flexhead ratchet wrenches invaluable for working on one of these trucks? I wonder how we got along all these years without them.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
04, 2003, 60, bolt, bolts, cab, diesel, f250, ford, leaving, pedestal, powerstroke, rear, turbo, wrench